Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

weather sealing experience with K5

I've had my K5 (17k cycles) out in the rain and some salt spray before, but last week it took a couple of direct hits from salt water spray (from waves hitting rocks, with 16-85 mounted.) It kept working just fine at the moment, but the next day, not so much. The exposure compensation button changed the ISO. The ISO button didn't do anything. When reviewing images and using the back wheel to magnify, it cycled from minimum to maximum magnification automatically with just one movement of the wheel. Eventually playing with the controls repeatedly, enthusiastically working them back and forth, seemed to get everything working again. Anybody had a similar experience? Any effects show up farther down the road?

12-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I"d rinse the camera, with lens still mounted, gently under clean water. Then wipe it down, remove lens, battery and card and put everything in a warm place with a slow fan on it for 12 hours or so. You want to get the corrosive salt spray off.

If that doesn't work, you've got problems.

Last edited by bkpix; 12-04-2016 at 11:13 AM.
12-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did with my ks2. I wrote about it in that forum. Titled ks2 an intersting case of non wr lens consequence. I dealt with rain and not salt spray but all is well now.
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

I have a K5IIs and also 16-85, the weather-seal worked fine in the heavy rain last week.
I dried the camera with towels, then put it in a sealed box with silica gel to dry little gap I can't reach.
Salt water liked bkpix said, need to rinse it first. Salt water is conductive, dried salt too. (Used to play with that a lot)
So the salt can mess with the circuit in the camera.

12-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
zooms may suck in some water and humidity.
when you let the camera dry it behaves correctly again.
12-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

It sounds like some of the saltwater got into some of the controls. The dials have gaskets on them but turning the dials could introduce some water into the controls. Or water with sufficient force could get past the gaskets. While cleaning the exterior will prevent further salt from getting into the works what salt there is inside is likely to corrode and continue to corrode contacts and other metal parts.

I guess the recourse would be to strip the camera down and rinse the affected parts with distilled water, dry and relubricate where appropriate.

Or just keep your fingers crossed and you may have years of trouble free usage.
12-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To me the issue is that if water got in, salt or otherwise, then otherwise exposing the body to water (rinsing off, etc.) is always a bad idea. Saltwater is worse than plain water, but plain water isn't exactly the best things for electronics either. I know I should have used a plastic bag but with all the posts I've read here about people even rinsing their cameras off I just didn't think it was necessary. None of the controls were in use while the splashing occurred. I certainly wasn't planning on getting splashed so hard. I'll just hope the camera keeps on working - there's really nothing else practical to do.

12-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Salt water is very destructive. I would, at a minimum, wipe down the outside of the body and lens with a damp cloth.
12-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I've had my K5 (17k cycles) out in the rain and some salt spray before, but last week it took a couple of direct hits from salt water spray (from waves hitting rocks, with 16-85 mounted.) It kept working just fine at the moment, but the next day, not so much. The exposure compensation button changed the ISO. The ISO button didn't do anything. When reviewing images and using the back wheel to magnify, it cycled from minimum to maximum magnification automatically with just one movement of the wheel. Eventually playing with the controls repeatedly, enthusiastically working them back and forth, seemed to get everything working again. Anybody had a similar experience? Any effects show up farther down the road?
The good thing going for you is the K-5 has a back panel made of Polycarbonate. Really I don't mind bodies that are all Polycarbonate and WR. So my thinking is it made it in the top and dripped down to the controls. Who knows, but we know it made it in. The top is Metal however, but being a top the water may have dripped down. My bet is you will be fine.

In every case its different
12-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Salt water is very destructive. I would, at a minimum, wipe down the outside of the body and lens with a damp cloth.
I did wipe it down a few minutes after shooting, and somewhat during shooting (although there was constant bombardment by normal mist vs. the extra splashing that I wasn't counting on.) Between every photo it was necessary to wipe off the split ND and when I did that I'd take a swipe at the top of the body as well. Then when I got back to running water I wiped it with a damp cloth, and washed the ND under the faucet.
12-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #11

Staples now has some gadget in their stores to "save" wet electronics Water Damaged Phone & Tablet Repair | StaplesŪ
12-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Staples now has some gadget in their stores to "save" wet electronics Water Damaged Phone & Tablet Repair | StaplesŪ
Interesting. It appears the drying only service via kiosk at storefronts is $20 per attempt ($40 at Gamestop stores - operator assistance). Repair of phone or tablet requires sending the device in and is $99.99 although the will refund $80 if repair is unsuccessful.

The question is if the chamber on the kiosk machine is big enough for a DSLR body being designed for less three dimensional devices like cell phones and tablets.

Looks like 90% of the Staples stores in California are listed as "coming soon".