Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're missing the point, Nunzio.

When you record either a violin or guitar, you have to make sure the level is not so low that it becomes mixed with the background noise of the voltage in the microphone and desk, or so high that it 'clips' (distorts - missing the information at the top of each sound wave).

You need to either watch the needle, or use circuitry/software to adjust. If you have two instruments (drums and violin, say), the dynamic range of the recording (the loudest sound made by the drums minus the quietest sound of the violin) will be too big. They are best recorded separately, and the tracks combined in the mixing process.

I did this back in my university days as a hobbyist electric guitarist. These are *exactly* the same principles and decision making as still photographs.
How nice would it be to hear those highs and lows once again...... growing old is a buggar!

12-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
How nice would it be to hear those highs and lows once again...... growing old is a buggar!
Yeah, I'm fifty now, so it'll already be happening to me, starting from the high frequencies.

Vision's still 6/6, but it's a matter of when rather than if!

12-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Vision's still 6/6, but it's a matter of when rather than if!
Reading glasses for me...55 now.... I do miss the larger top LCD on the K-1.... a young persons design that.
12-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Why not? I often do. For landscape and action and portrait. It isn't the metering mode you use, it's how you use it. AE lock is a superb tool in conjunction with spot metering. So the question is what did he meter on an why far more than what metering mode was used.
Almost every time I've had wonky exposures, it relates back to me having accidentally bumped the meter into spot and not noticing it. Spot metering is not a general purpose metering mode.

12-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Almost every time I've had wonky exposures, it relates back to me having accidentally bumped the meter into spot and not noticing it. Spot metering is not a general purpose metering mode.
Well, it is for me as I often use a zonal system for exposure. Only a spot metering technique allows me to do so. It stands in for a handheld spot meter and is very useful indeed.
12-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #81

Original Poster
You aren't shooting in spot meter mode are you?
Yes, I know
12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it is for me as I often use a zonal system for exposure. Only a spot metering technique allows me to do so. It stands in for a handheld spot meter and is very useful indeed.
Consider reading what the thread topic is about and try to speak to it rather than your own agenda.

12-18-2016, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Consider reading what the thread topic is about and try to speak to it rather than your own agenda.
I have been involved in this thread from early on and have understood what it is about from the get go. This is not my agenda. It is a way of taking photographs that helps balance the histogram to capture best what you want the photo to be. Why Nunzio should not use spot meter is beyond me. He can use any metering method he wants to as far as I'm concerned.
12-18-2016, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been involved in this thread from early on and have understood what it is about from the get go. This is not my agenda. It is a way of taking photographs that helps balance the histogram to capture best what you want the photo to be. Why Nunzio should not use spot meter is beyond me. He can use any metering method he wants to as far as I'm concerned.
I concur. The thread has many facets and clearly the overall theme is "how to take pictures with the k-1 without blowing out highlights - especially in high dynamic range shots." Certain methods rely on spot metering - at the same time this method requires a lot more intervention by the photographer. Lastly accidentally engaging spot metering can drastically throw off exposures.

In any case the educational value to the OP seems worth discussion of spot metering.
12-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently you just don't get it.
Bye.
12-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #86

Original Poster
I did not use the Spot mode, because I wanted to do some tests to check the response of the camera in different profiles.
12-18-2016, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently you just don't get it.
Bye.
Really? What is your problem? I have been nothing but constructive and civil and you take this bizarre and aggressive tone. Honestly it is baffling.
12-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nunzio Quote
I did not use the Spot mode, because I wanted to do some tests to check the response of the camera in different profiles.
Good enough. I don't have an answer for you then.