Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps the next in line will be the K-nil. Then they could continue counting down with the K-(-1), K-(-2), etc.

Or they could use powers or roots with current model numbers (e.g. The K-√3 or the K-√1). Of course, with this system the K-1 would forever be the K-1.

They could also use binary numbers. Although I suspect they could get a bit unwieldy to put on the camera. Can you imagine a K-1010 instead of a K-10 or a K-100100 instead of a K-36?

So many possibilities...

12-07-2016, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Counting down from K-0 you get K-4294967295
12-07-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
...they could continue counting down with the K-(-1), K-(-2)...
A negative negative is a positive. Those models could become the K+1, K+2, etc. and we have an easy to follow system.
12-07-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They may have to change the naming scheme soon, as they did several times in the past with the film camera lines.

12-07-2016, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

"These users Like Kunzite's post: leekil"
Software engineer spotted... I'd say
12-07-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
They may have to change the naming scheme soon, as they did several times in the past with the film camera lines.
Back to *ist D? There's plenty of digital space available there.
12-07-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
At least with both Nikon & Canon there was say D3 D4 D5 ( even with marks 1 mark 2 etc) and say the camera below was say D 500 D 300 logical?
With that logic at least you can tell the more 0 the less functions.
It is just a matter of personal opinion. How is it being logical when you can choose a D7100 or D5300 (same number of 0s and lower number would imply more functions)?

12-07-2016, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Back to *ist D? There's plenty of digital space available there.
If it weren't for the unpronounceable "*ist", it's the scheme that would make the most people happy, since each class had a name (D/DS/DL), with sequential numbers within the class (DS/DS2). If we jump ahead to cover the past models, it would give us: (have fun guessing how I counted off the models within each class)

*ist D10 - next APS-C flagship
*ist DS10 - next APS-C midrange
*ist DL9 - next entry/budget/"lightweight"
*ist DF2 - next fullframe
*ist DM2 - next mirrorless K-mount

I'd suggest replacing *ist with K-, but has it been long enough to not worry about confusion between the K10D and K-D10? We still have threads confusing the KX and K-x! (But not so much the KM and K-m, for some reason.)
12-07-2016, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
A negative negative is a positive. Those models could become the K+1, K+2, etc. and we have an easy to follow system.
Can't deny the logic in this thought!
12-07-2016, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Oooh, I have a [bad] idea. Pentax can come out with a new line of cameras named after musicians. The:

K-T-TUNSTALL
K-T-PERRY
K-D-LANG
K-8-BUSH
K-C (and the optional Sunshine Band accessory)
K-Crimson (only available as a red body)
12-07-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To tweak the serenity of the posters on a certain thread that will not die, perhaps the new FF will be labelled the KRx !!!!

Where x = any number Ricoh wants to call it.
12-07-2016, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Does any 1 find how Pentax names there DSLR weird
Coming from me, a man who names his lenses... the Pentax approach is quite tame I thought.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
12-07-2016, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Does any 1 find how Pentax names there DSLR werid
I find this thread title weird
12-07-2016, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too find the Pentax naming system - a tad random - somewhat similar to a drunk staggering from light pole to light pole.
  • The ist series - had somewhat of a system to it - well kind of...
  • The K100D/200D/K10D/K20D - had a semblance of a reasonable order to it. Just when you though you knew where they were going with it...
  • Suddenly - the K5/K5 and Km/Kr/Kx along with the K-01 - well ok, didn't understand where they might be heading. Whiplash!
  • Then back to the K30/K50/K70 and K500 - I'm a bit more confused
  • Bang - out of no where comes the K-s1 and K-s2 appears from out of the fog - Excedrin headache # 12
  • Out of the western sky, the K-1 parachutes in. OK, where do we go from here - either to 0 or to 2 or 3? How about an alphabetic character?
  • Then there is the 645D followed by the 645Z - so next up is {A, B, C, ...., Z - {D, X} } or not?
  • Along with the Q - which I will not even try to fathom.
Step up to the Crap table and take a roll - Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

System - there is no system. It's just a semi-random grab bag of hodgepodge. Increasing number series - decreasing number series, interspersed with somewhat random alphabetic sequences.

Next up will be the K-&%$#* or the K-

Pentax just being Pentax again...

12-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #30

Original Poster
Yes its almost like the have a bag of names numbers etc & draw 1 for the new model.
Yes I know there are other names for Canon / Nikon for North America market. I was told that that due to there high supply & to stop say grey imports into other countries like Oz when you had say a Canon EOS 500 I think was the Canon Rebel in film days etc

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too find the Pentax naming system - a tad random - somewhat similar to a drunk staggering from light pole to light pole.
  • The ist series - had somewhat of a system to it - well kind of...
  • The K100D/200D/K10D/K20D - had a semblance of a reasonable order to it. Just when you though you knew where they were going with it...
  • Suddenly - the K5/K5 and Km/Kr/Kx along with the K-01 - well ok, didn't understand where they might be heading. Whiplash!
  • Then back to the K30/K50/K70 and K500 - I'm a bit more confused
  • Bang - out of no where comes the K-s1 and K-s2 appears from out of the fog - Excedrin headache # 12
  • Out of the western sky, the K-1 parachutes in. OK, where do we go from here - either to 0 or to 2 or 3? How about an alphabetic character?
  • Then there is the 645D followed by the 645Z - so next up is {A, B, C, ...., Z - {D, X} } or not?
  • Along with the Q - which I will not even try to fathom.
Step up to the Crap table and take a roll - Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

System - there is no system. It's just a semi-random grab bag of hodgepodge. Increasing number series - decreasing number series, interspersed with somewhat random alphabetic sequences.

Next up will be the K-&%$#* or the K-

Pentax just being Pentax again...