Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Samsung NX galaxy is such a camera(referring to the post about K1 with Android built in)....or was.Apsc mirrorless,20mp stills and pretty standard video,Its best described as a cross between the initial connected Sammy Galaxy camera and the NX30.

A K1 along those lines, will be waiting a LONG time.

12-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer o.p. in a word. "emm, No".
12-09-2016, 04:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"The Nokia Lumia flagships used an updated version of that camera. They had a hump."

Sure; but that was still the max thickness of the phone.

Regarding the image quality, I don't know how they tested it but the 808 totally outclasses every other smartphone to date especially the S6 and S7 which I own. I used a 3rd party app which took the 40MP raw image and downsized it to 12MP, and produced stunning and very natural-colour images. The stock app had a limit on the jpeg quality, producing ~3MB jpegs but the other app produced ~10MB images which in good light were good enough to avoid a DSLR most of the time. I simply didn't carry a DSLR anymore when I had the 808, except for airborne use when you need a fast shutter etc.

The camera suffered from focus delays and general unreliability of focus, but most phones have that problem. The S7 solves it pretty well by having the extra "focus pixels" spread around the 12MP sensor but it oversaturates and oversharpens. Also 3rd party camera app vendors claim that the camera API cripples the resolution available to them, which is probably why there is no worthwhile 3rd party camera app for the S7.

Video performance was par for the era (2012) so not good enough for today. What killed the 808 was the old OS and commercial issues surrounding Nokia and what the High Street outlets would carry. I got rid of mine only because there was no browser modern enough to work with some websites I need for aviation weather, etc.
12-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

Regarding the image quality, I don't know how they tested it but the 808 totally outclasses every other smartphone to date especially the S6 and S7 which I own. .
Well, I understand you believe that, Peter, since it's the second time you've said it, but professional testers measuring resolution, dynamic range and colour tones say differently. :-)

Last edited by clackers; 12-09-2016 at 05:35 AM.
12-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new moto x has a hasselblad camera module.

Hasselblad True Zoom Moto Mod hands-on preview: Digital Photography Review
12-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clackers - as I said I used a different camera app to the stock one.

That Moto Z camera phone is not going to succeed, IMHO. Too big...
12-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Clackers - as I said I used a different camera app to the stock one....
?

DXOMark work with RAW where possible, Peter.

They have their own image processing software, it's what they do.

This means the comparisons can be valid.

12-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I can't see the point of this idea. There's already far too many things on most phones and the human interface is, in my view, far too limited and imprecise.

As to the specifics of the Pentax Camera menus, I have 3 cameras and mainly now use 2 - K30/K50. My wife has a Nikon bridge camera, and I know I prefer the Pentax layout to that on the Nikon - particularly when allowing for the fact that the Nikon menus should be easier to navigate as there's less to change.

Colin