Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why settle for 4k video when 8k is available?
Well, because decent 4k would be a stretch for Pentax and would catch them up with Sony and Canon and the human eye probably can't even see 8k. Unless you are being sarcastic.

12-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Is there a new Sony sensor available? If the K-3 Mark2 24mp sensor hasn't been upgraded by Sony, would a K-3 Mark3 with that same sensor offer enough for people to upgrade? I think the pixel war is over but more dynamic range and lower noise are always welcome.
12-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

Here we go: run it through Google translate and in the section on Pixel Shift the Ricoh engineer says motion correction is included (and always on) in the K-3ii

???????????????????????????PENTAX K-1 - ???? Watch Watch
12-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Motion correction is a post processing step. Any limitation is for in camera development only.

12-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I need a tilt screen, KI style pixel shift, and better video 4k. Everything else about the K3II is acceptable even though I have other things on my wish list. .
Have you seen the K-70?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Please, no tilt screen.
That's the feature I most enjoy from the K-1, when compared with the K-3. I'm willing to live with the larger size because I love the tilt screen so much.

Tilt screen usefulness is pretty much limited to "live-view" and that implementation on SLR is rather poor.
I completely disagree. With older, screw-drive lenses AF is poor, but with modern lenses having a DSLR with live view or having a mirrorless is identical.
12-08-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Have you seen the K-70?

That's the feature I most enjoy from the K-1, when compared with the K-3. I'm willing to live with the larger size because I love the tilt screen so much.

I completely disagree. With older, screw-drive lenses AF is poor, but with modern lenses having a DSLR with live view or having a mirrorless is identical.
Good call on the K70

These are without a tilt screen however it would have been easier

Mushroom Hunting
by John Rudolph, on Flickr

Mushroom Hunting
by John Rudolph, on Flickr
12-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you want a tilt screen, mirrorless is clearly the way to go. Tilt screen usefulness is pretty much limited to "live-view" and that implementation on SLR is rather poor. MIrrorless is live-view all the time.
What Norm said.
And it seems like he was able to overcome the weakness of the "live view" (really nice mushroom Norm) This type of shooting and shooting over things as well as when I have my tripod all the way up are why I need the tilt screen (I'm 6'3" but still sometimes can't see the back or the screen or through the view finder when my tripod is fully extended)

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Here we go: run it through Google translate and in the section on Pixel Shift the Ricoh engineer says motion correction is included (and always on) in the K-3ii

???????????????????????????PENTAX K-1 - ???? Watch Watch
There must have been a firmware update, because the first time motion correction was mentioned was with the K1.

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 02:27 PM ----------

Have you seen the K-70?

K-70 burst rate too slow 6 fps if I didn't need K3 or better burst rate I'd go right to the K1 that's the "ONLY" thing keeping me from getting the K1, well that and my 60-250 which I love (I think Norm or someone else here can fix the 60-250 for FF)

12-08-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aren't we about due for a K3II upgrade.
Is that not the K1, he says as he ducks...
12-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, because decent 4k would be a stretch for Pentax and would catch them up with Sony and Canon and the human eye probably can't even see 8k. Unless you are being sarcastic.
4K lets you crop significantly and still get 1080p, nice when you're doing video of yourself or don't have a skilled cameraman helping you. The claim about the human eye not seeing 8k doesn't sound right to me, but I'll gladly take some more cropping power in post.
12-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #25
JPT
Pentaxian

I'm sure Ricoh will make a K-3 ii successor in 2017, but doubt it will be the first camera released.

With the the K-S1, Q-S1 and MX-1 gone or going, the K-S2 is now the smallest general purpose camera that Ricoh sells, and that is over 1kg with the kit lens. I just can't believe that will continue to be the case for long.

It'll be interesting to see what they come out with.
- An advanced compact?
- A smaller K-mount DSLR?
- Another K-mount mirrorless?
- A mirrorless with a new mount?
- Revive the Q?
- Revive the GXR?

When you look at the lineup, it's the most obvious gap, and a market that is very popular in Japan and the rest of Asia. So I think we will see something that area at CP+.

I think the top of the range APS-C camera is waiting for a new generation sensor. In the meantime, the K-3 ii has almost all of the features the K-1, and it's in plentiful supply.
12-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please, no tilt screen. Adds size, weight and complexity. Size and weight pain me now. Complexity pains me later when it breaks.
What makes you think it will break?? My brother bought a Canon camera with an articulated screen and was constantly adjusting the screen position. The camera seems to be finally dying, but as far as I can tell, the articulated screen never failed him. Presumably Pentax strress-tested their new tilt mechanism; there is no reason to believe it is a weak link either.
12-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #27

With older, screw-drive lenses AF is poor, but with modern lenses having a DSLR with live view or having a mirrorless is identical.
I'm not clear how screw drive AF is related to live view. Could you please elaborate?
12-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not clear how screw drive AF is related to live view. Could you please elaborate?
Contrast auto focus is slow and screw drive hunting can take a verrrry long time.
12-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #29
amp

K3ii successor? That's a good question. I sold one on my k3's with the thought of putting it towards the k1. Now I'm wondering if I should wait for a new aps-c flagship? How much could they take from the k1 without siphoning sales? To wait, impatiently, or not to wait?
12-09-2016, 05:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

K-70 burst rate too slow 6 fps if I didn't need K3 or better burst rate I'd go right to the K1 that's the "ONLY" thing keeping me from getting the K1
I gotta ask, why is such a burst rate necessary?

60-250 which I love (I think Norm or someone else here can fix the 60-250 for FF)
You can do it yourself. I'm close to doing it myself, I'm mostly convinced the risk is nil, I have to find the time and courage.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/304092-da-60-250-mod-ff-7.html