Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Aren't we about due for a K3II upgrade.

The K3 was announced Oct 7 of 2013, the K3II was announced April 22 of 2015 aren't we about due. As great as the K1 is it's burst rate is too slow for me. I need a tilt screen, KI style pixel shift, and better video 4k. Everything else about the K3II is acceptable even though I have other things on my wish list. .

12-07-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #2

Please, no tilt screen. Adds size, weight and complexity. Size and weight pain me now. Complexity pains me later when it breaks.
12-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nothing has been leaked yet. My guess is that Pentax might let us know what's up sometime in February to April 2017. That's a maybe. It could also even be as far as October 2017 or even sometime in 2018. You never know with Pentax.
12-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3II already has pixel-shift...

12-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Please, no tilt screen. Adds size, weight and complexity. Size and weight pain me now. Complexity pains me later when it breaks.
Tilt screen is one of my top 3 largest desires out of a new flagship Pentax camera. So I'm very much wanting to see this happen. It shouldn't break unless you do something that would break the camera anyways. And, if you keep it stationary, can pretend it doesn't even exist.

I'm hoping (but not expecting) a taller camera body too similar to the K-1. Big hands want a big camera to hold. But without the big price of full frame.
12-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

Why settle for 4k video when 8k is available?
12-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm confident in the K-1 style tilt screen mechanism. I've been able to carry around the K-1 + 70-200 by the the screen, so it seems sturdy enough. How much weight does it add? If you're pinching pounds and size that hard, mirrorless might be the way to go.

12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

If you want a tilt screen, mirrorless is clearly the way to go. Tilt screen usefulness is pretty much limited to "live-view" and that implementation on SLR is rather poor. MIrrorless is live-view all the time.
12-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I've been able to carry around the K-1 + 70-200 by the the screen
Wow! That's impressive. And risky!
12-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

About due for sure!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2016, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want a tilt screen, mirrorless is clearly the way to go. Tilt screen usefulness is pretty much limited to "live-view" and that implementation on SLR is rather poor. MIrrorless is live-view all the time.
I disagree (to some extent). I find the tilt screen on the K-1 most useful when I'm taking macro and close up photos in my studio, especially when I'm using the camera in portrait mode when the small amount of tilt available saves me having to bend over too far. At my age, that's important! I've never used the tilt on any other occasions.
12-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Taken with the aid of the tilt screen, with the camera near ground level... I rest my case.

If you are really opposed to weight, something like a Panasonic FZ1000 should be right up your alley, or any of the 4/3 cameras. It's an APS-c or FF DSLR you should be avoiding, not a tilt screen
12-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The K-3II already has pixel-shift...
I know it has pixel shift but not like the KI which can deal with some movement
12-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I kinda expect the K1's tilty screen to make it on the next flagship aps-c, but I guess who knows? Most of my uses for it (studio stills, forest floor macros) could be handled with polished WiFi tethering to a smartphone or tablet. I'm sure I'd use both options if they were available

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Can't this be handled by the software? ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/321244-pixel-shift-motion-...ion-k-3ii.html
12-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
According to an interview with one of the Ricoh engineers (Japanese website, I posted links elsewhere) the K3ii has the same motion correction capabilities as the K-1 using the same algorithms. The only difference (at the time of the interview) was that MC could not be turned off on the K3ii menus. This may or may have changed with a firmware update. I seem to recall a few posts that confirm that MC is active on the K3ii. MC seems to work better on the K-1 probably due to differences in the sensor since the claim is the same algorithms are in use.