Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 06:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
I'm not clear how screw drive AF is related to live view. Could you please elaborate?
Because of the AF design and the lens's electronics, focusing in live view with a screw-drive lens is both slow and inaccurate most of the time.

12-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I gotta ask, why is such a burst rate necessary?

You can do it yourself. I'm close to doing it myself, I'm mostly convinced the risk is nil, I have to find the time and courage.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/304092-da-60-250-mod-ff-7.html
I shoot a lot of high speed ski racing as well as other sports like horse shows and dog shows where the burst rate is very important or very helpful.

as far as FFing my 60-250 I have the time not the courage. If I could see a youtube video on it I might try it.
12-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just lucky, mine didn't need it, it doesn't vignette any more than my 18-135 does on APS-c.
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Yes! I would love an APS-C Pentax with 10fps burst and a big buffer.

12-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Hmmm... what features do we need to look forward for the new APSC? Do we need to start rumor thread?

My next camera should have a tilt screen. And ideally should take batteries as those of K-3

Last edited by wed7; 12-12-2016 at 12:35 AM.
12-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I gotta ask, why is such a burst rate necessary?
To capture the best frame of a fleeting moment that doesn't repeat itself?

Wedding photographers are very particular about getting the first kiss just right. Sports photographers want that perfect posture out of a sequence of shots of e.g. a snowboarder in mid-jump, a rugby player passing, the ball leaving the foot of a football (not the 'American' one ) who takes a shot at the goal. Wildlife photographers want that moment a kingfisher breaks the surface with a fish in its beak.
12-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Hmmm... what features do we need to look forward for the new APSC? Do we need to start rumor thread?
My wish list (in order of importance):

Improved AF module with more focus points (50+, in line with the competition) and improved AF.C tracking
Better image quality (high ISO and DR)
Dedicated joystick to move focus point
Tilt screen with touch functionality

Additional improvements I believe Pentax needs to make, but I don't care much about personally:

Vastly improved video (either flawlessly implemented full HD with 60p, or proper 4k)
Higher flash sync speed (1/250th sec.)

There will be loads of Pentaxians writing that we don't need a touch screen, that we don't need great video etc. Yeah, maybe we don't need it, but other brands are implementing these features because consumers want them, so it definitely wouldn't hurt Pentax' sales if they did something about it too. It would certainly help having the ever present 'Bad video' line removed from the 'Con' section of pretty much every online review.

12-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Hmmm... what features do we need to look forward for the new APSC?
I just want these 3 things:
  • Better AF performance overall in low light for single shot & tracking. Should meet or exceed the AF performance that the Nikon D7200 has at the minimum. Not asking for D500 performance either. (But yeah. We need faster focusing lenses like PLM, DC, & related plus a super fast heavy duty silent screw to blast through the screw drive lens' focal range!)
  • New 5-axis IBIS or a newer version of SR. Olympus offers very impressive stabilization performance out of their 5-axis IBIS.
  • IQ that meets or exceeds the K-70.
Everything else is icing on the cake.
12-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I just want these 3 things:
  • Better AF performance overall in low light for single shot & tracking. Should meet or exceed the AF performance that the Nikon D7200 has at the minimum. Not asking for D500 performance either. (But yeah. We need faster focusing lenses like PLM, DC, & related plus a super fast heavy duty silent screw to blast through the screw drive lens' focal range!)
  • New 5-axis IBIS or a newer version of SR. Olympus offers very impressive stabilization performance out of their 5-axis IBIS.
  • IQ that meets or exceeds the K-70.
Everything else is icing on the cake.
I totally agree. Better image quality, better AF and 5 axis IBIS are what I would ask if they upgrade the K-3II series. Tilt screen, or swivel would be a plus but I hope it won't increase the size of the camera. As far as I'm concerned, the design (look) of the K-5 and the K-3 series are beautiful. Not too big and not too small.
12-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
My wish list (in order of importance):

Improved AF module with more focus points (50+, in line with the competition) and improved AF.C tracking
Better image quality (high ISO and DR)
Dedicated joystick to move focus point
Tilt screen with touch functionality

Additional improvements I believe Pentax needs to make, but I don't care much about personally:

Vastly improved video (either flawlessly implemented full HD with 60p, or proper 4k)
Higher flash sync speed (1/250th sec.)

There will be loads of Pentaxians writing that we don't need a touch screen, that we don't need great video etc. Yeah, maybe we don't need it, but other brands are implementing these features because consumers want them, so it definitely wouldn't hurt Pentax' sales if they did something about it too. It would certainly help having the ever present 'Bad video' line removed from the 'Con' section of pretty much every online review.
+1

Pretty much agree with all of that.
12-30-2016, 03:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wish list:
1. Better dynamic range
2. Better High ISO (D500 Level)
3. Tilt screen
4. Better AF
5. Improved live view
6. Joy stick for focus point selection