Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Time to upgrade my original K5

I've had this thing for forever and it is still ticking without any problems. My wife is showing quite a bit of interest in taking photos of her own so my trusty camera will now be hers. I'm ignorant when it comes to APSC vs. FF and since I haven't felt like the K5 was lacking, I thought I'd narrow down my research between the K5 IIs, the K3 and the K3 II. I shoot whatever looks interesting from landscapes to people. Not a pro, all for fun.

I've got some reading to do but all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Sage97; 12-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.
12-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider the K-1 in crop mode to have one megapixel less than the K-5, but with massively improved AF and almost everything else (except perhaps low-ISO noise performance with extended exposures), with the full 36MP available if you should want to use it (with full frame lenses or to crop in post to your own tastes). BUT.... no internal flash, so think carefully about that if you use yours a lot.

If you do plenty of telephoto work and then crop the hell out of it even then, the K-3ii is probably more your speed because of the pixel density. This debate was had here in the early days of the K-1's specs being released and again when the camera came out. Again, though... no internal flash on the K-3ii. The K-5iis and the base-model K-3 are now discontinued, so good luck finding new stock if that's what you want.

I considered upgrading to all of the three, but decided that only the K-1 offered a sufficient boost of performance for me across the whole range of capabilities (and also did justice to the extensive range of film-era lenses I have accumulated). Against this is the cost - even body only, it is not a cheap camera and I am fortunate enough to have an extensive range of lenses ready to put on it. I thought to get it for Christmas, but circumstances between now and my birthday are calculated to take me to large camera stores where I can handle it in person, and I decided on that basis (and the fact that I don't get as many shooting opportunities in winter) to defer the purchase until I've assessed it physically. Until then I have film, home developing and DSLR scanning to cater to my full-frame needs.
12-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In your situation as you describe your needs I'd get the K3II it's less than half the price of the KI and is a big upgrade from the K5
12-10-2016, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
In your situation as you describe your needs I'd get the K3II it's less than half the price of the KI and is a big upgrade from the K5
My view, too. The K-1 is a lot of money if you don't "need" it.

...and quite reasonable if you do

But I don't. Not yet, anyway...

12-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your thoughts.

I am leaning towards both the K3 and K3II but would really have to think about the pop up flash. The K1 may be too much of a camera for me but I'll go ahead and read up on it.
12-10-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Maybe add this to your reading list....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/335318-k1-owners-im...ml#post3847865

Since getting a K-1 I've decided Pixel Shift is a frill type option of dubious value. Sometimes it gives you something, sometimes it doesn't, but it always takes time. I got the GPS in my K-1 and love it, but it's not essential.

My wife is still using her K-5 and has no plans to upgrade... the K-5 has more dynamic range than a K-3. If you do a lot of sunsets, that's nice to have, but not essential.

The main thing with the K-3 is buffer size, burst mode, and AF. I shoot a lot of small birds and I find no practical difference in AF between the K-1 and K-3, if anything the K-1 is bit slower. Working with the K-1 in the blind trying for bird shots, I feel like I've gone back to the last century. It's not an action camera.
Tha main advatage to the K-3 is magnification because of the pixel size, for macros, it makes your macro lens even more macro, for wildlife, it makes your long lens even longer. A real money saver in that sense, as reach is always expensive, and anything you can do to augment the lens is money saved.

There are many images where I get better images with the K-3 with than with the K-1 and the same lens. Especially when I have to crop the K-3 image like 15% and the K-1 image 65%. At that point the IQ is in favour of the K-3.

I'd seriously look at a K-70 in your position. Apart from the non-conforming battery issue, it looks like it could be the best APS-c body out there at the moment.

Last edited by normhead; 12-10-2016 at 11:55 AM.
12-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you're right to consider the K-3 and K-3II. I have both, and my honest recommendation would be a well-looked-after, lightly-used K-3. The pop-up flash is handy, both as a light source in its own right and as a means of triggering other flashes should you ever want to do so. The significant new features of the K-3II - GPS and astro-tracking, and pixel-shift resolution - aren't worth the extra spend unless they gel with your specific use cases, in my opinion. And now that the K-3 firmware update for KAF4 lens compatibility has been released, any new KAF4 lens will work on the K-3 too (that used to be a reason to choose the K-3II, but not any longer).

The K-1 is - from what I've read and the short time I've spent playing with one - a fantastic piece of kit. But it's bigger and heavier (not massively so, but noticeable), and unless you really want or need a full-frame sensor camera, I think you'd be more than satisfied with the K-3 (which is also a fantastic camera). I'd love to own a K-1 and - if I sold some stuff - there's really not much stopping me from doing so... and yet, I find myself fully satisfied with my K-3 and K-3II. I think you would be too.

EDIT: Norm's recommendation of considering the K-70 is also a good one. In terms of functionality and performance, it's right up there (even a bit better than the K-3)... I tried one at a show and liked it - though I did find it a little small for my hands (I'd probably get used to it, of course) and it isn't of quite the same "flagship" build as the K-5 / K-3 series. But a hugely capable camera and very tempting.

12-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It might be interesting to see what Pentax comes up with for a K3/K3II replacement - hopefully in a few months (but who really knows)....

12-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll add the K70 to the list.

I already have the astrotracer thingy so that would work well with the K3. Dynamic range is key for me. Hmm...
12-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I'll add the K70 to the list.

I already have the astrotracer thingy so that would work well with the K3. Dynamic range is key for me. Hmm...
The K-5 is +.67 over the K-3 for DR, the K-1 is +1 over the K-5.
12-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd recommend the K-3II for aps-c, or if you are interested in full frame capability the K-1.
12-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

What a timely question - I find myself in the same boat, using both a K-5 and K-01 and while there's nothing wrong with either, I would like to get a newer body for improved 'performance'. The K-1 looks compelling, but it's cost and weight (in that order) makes it a less-realistic option for me. I have been travelling with both the K-5 and K-01 and found that I really miss having GPS coordinates in my EXIF, and have had to take a picture with my smartphone just to capture GPS data. In that sense, the K-3 II looks like a great option for me. The one thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't have a tilt/swivel screen like the K-70 does, which would be great for taking low-angle pics. As far as lenses go, I do have a mix of Full-Frame auto and manual lenses, as well as the usual DA ones, so that doesn't help my decision. One thing I have noticed though is that I am finding weight to be more of an issue these days as I don't like carrying something that's heavy or bulky. Since I'm going away on another trip over the Christmas holidays, I might end up getting the K-3 II. Ah... decisions decisions...
12-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

For every camera type, one rule remains constant, the larger the sensor format, the heavier your gear is going to be. From what you've said, you don't want a K-1. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't like one if you got it.
12-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Urs
Pentaxian

I also have the K5 since it first came out and it shows its age, I looked long at the K1 that surely is a fantastic cam, but I'm not sure I need FF ( I do some macro and like the reach of the crop sensor for some birding) so I ordered the K-70 and the new 55-300, they are on the way. Looks like the K-70 checks most of the boxes of my wish list.Time will tell how I gona like it.
12-10-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drewski Quote
the K-3 II looks like a great option for me. The one thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't have a tilt/swivel screen like the K-70 does, which would be great for taking low-angle pics
I recently got a K-S2 to go with my K-3. The flippy screen is indeed a great feature - very useful. Wifi is fiddly but fun for remote shooting; not for file transfer. It doesn't have Pixel Shift, so I can't comment on that.

If my cameras were stolen and I had to choose between a second hand K-3 in good condition and a new K-70 for around the same price (probably a little more), I'd definitely get the K-3 again. The flippy screen, wifi and PS of a K-70 would not outweigh the better ergonomics, sturdiness, better battery life, better AF, better metering and quiet shutter of the K-3. Experience with a flagship model makes it hard to go back.

I haven't tried a K-1 so no experience there. But the K-3 series does offer huge value for money.