Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #61

Original Poster
A fast question(or 3) and I'll stop harrasing this forum. Thanks all for helping me decide on what camera to pick, I'm very satisfied so far.

I've started to see the advantages of shooting raw also. They're quite incredible to be honest. So, ofc. there's a few questions around it.

In raw, you can pick .pef och .dng. I can only get .dng working in photoshop. What is .pef for?

If I upgrade to firmware 1.01, will raw not even work in photoshop anymore(read something about it)

Is there any better program to get an "overview" of raw images, since windows can't handle it and it's a hassle having to open photoshop just to get an idea of what the image is about.

08-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop can handle PEF. Be sure you have the latest version Camera Raw 4.4.1 update.

May as well shoot RAW and know you have as much info as possible. I have 2TB storage for this reason!

Adobe has Bridge for viewing images but, though it has good features, it is insanely slow at some operations. I use the free version of FastStone Image Viewer, which has batch convert and other useful features. However I will need something more powerful soon.
08-08-2008, 04:55 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Hi Karn

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
What is .pef for?
Pentax Electronic File (.pef)

Pentax photo RAW | Extension .pef

It's Pentax's nearest equivalent of Adobe's well-established Digital Negative (DNG) format, a publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-08-2008 at 10:19 AM.
08-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #64

Original Poster
Is there anything that would favor one infront of the other? Got both working with Photoshop now.

And, do I dare to update my firmware on the camera without it unabling raw from working with CS3?

08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Karn updating the camera will not effect RAW use in CS3. I does I think break Apples Aperture application ability to see PEF files.

As per the difference of PEF or DNG in camera you will get about a quarter to a third more images using PEF as the file size is physically smaller than the DNG files in camera.
08-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Use DNG, big SDHC card are not that expensive anymore.

PEF as well as the other proprietary formats used by the other vendors, have a more limited support than DNG.

DNG was created by Adobe but the format is open so other software makers are allowed to play with it, and does actually (like Aperture and DXO). Regarding PEF, the major makers are supporting it at the moment, but every new camera model needs to be added in an update. And there is no garanty that future major releases will support the old models.

So for archiving reasons, DNG is the best. It will allow to rework photos years afte the sutter has been released.

Regards,
Guillaume
08-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karn Quote

I am on a budget now tho, it can't give me a K200d + DA* lens, but it can give me a K20D + one of the above lenses. I can't go higher than that. (Getting the camera through a company which I've helped out)
I was going to keep my mouth shut, but when I see the word "budget" listed as a concern I feel obligated to point out that there is a very large body of very fine old Pentax lenses which can be had for relatively little money. Many like the K-mount "M" and "A" series lenses; I am personally more fond of the older M42 screwmount "Takumar" lenses.

Some photos from the K20D and Takumar lenses.

The various lenses used in those shots cost me (via auction) about:

SMC Takumar 50/1.4 = free with a $50 Spotmatic film camera
S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 = $50
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 = $40
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8 = $70

And, of course, Shake Reduction works with all of those approximately 35-40 year old lenses.

Just an option for your consideration. It is always best to make choices armed with as much information as is available, I think.