Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

Time for Pentax to become modern and costumer friendly!

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a K-1 and I do love it. It is a fantastic camera and it has so many built in features I discover new ones all the time. It is not the perfect camera, there is no such thing and there has been discussions on this forum of the K-1 poor video function and its not really too amazing AF-system. I think that enough is said about that but what about Pentax softwares?

I've tried to use the tethering modul for lightroom and actually it's not very impressing. Only to get the plug-in to land in the right folder took ages. The only thing I then am able to use the computer for is to press the shutterbutton. I could use the Pentax variation of tethering software but then I have to get a physical copy of the software, delivered from the US, I think. Usually softwares are to be instantly downloaded from the net. I buy a lot of software that way and it works fine. Why won't Pentax make it easier and help me spend money on their products?

I also want to use my smartphone to be able to control my camera. There is this app but it sure lacks in functions and stability. There has been rumours of this app not being compatible with newer versions of android, but that wouldn't be hard to fix if, would it? A great working app would make Pentax a reallly interesting alternative to all the brands that may not be mentioned by names.

Smartphone's apps are often updated once a month and even the OS is often updated, all for pleasing the costumers. Pentax has done a great job updating the software for the K-1. Every update has made me feel like I have a new camera, which is satisfying. I have felt like I am an important costumer for Pentax. How about making the same effort in photo processing softwares and tethering software and all other kind of software that I don't know I've been missing? I would be willing to spend money on downloadable softwares and I would be feeling that VIP-sense if the app would work and be renewed once in a while.

Does anyone know if Pentax has plans for the software situation? What software do you miss?

12-11-2016, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Theta is all about apps, and considering that it comes from the same people who made the K-1, I think it'd be reasonable to minimally expect a more modern version of Image Sync at some point in the future. If Image Sync got the Theta's file transfer interface, life would be a lot easier.

That said, if you're serious about tethering, you should definitely get Image Transmitter 2. The software itself is pretty decent, just pricey. It should be available in Europe too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2016, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is the second post recently on this subject so I have a genuine question ... why would you want this capability?

Please give me an example where this capability would be a benefit?
I understand the need for a better wifi transfer capability but remote control ?

And before you accuse me of being a dinosaur I have a Theta and use its remote app but that's to do with checking the image.
12-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
I would not accuse you for anything roberrl! I don't have any Theta so comming to technology you might be more advanced than me. We probably just have different needs and creative ideas.

I could use the smartphone as a remote (for Free) when photographing in akward positions during hours of waiting. I could get closer to wildlife, even if this might Count as cheating for some. For exampel I could have taken some pictures of birds today, inspite of not being physically able to go outside. Someone could have helped me carrying the camera, but I would be the one shoting the photo. Temporarily disabled this could have made my day.

I also believe an app you can't rely on doesn't do justice to a camera with built in wifi, only working with that app.

12-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Having tried to use wifi for bird photography, it wasn't worth the effort. There isn't enough range on the wifi devices to make it worth while. And the immobility of the camera is ultra frustrating. You might get an image, but you'll miss way more than you get. A longer lens with a tripod through a window is a better option.
12-11-2016, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few types of uses of remote control:

1. Time-lapse photography where one does not want to physically touch the camera for fear of changing the alignment between frames;
2. Astrophotography on cold nights -- taking pictures while staying in a warm sleeping bag, tent, or car;
3. Wildlife photography without erecting a giant blind;
4. Multitasking: being able to do other things but check & control the camera.

In short, if you don't want to disturb the camera, disturb the subject, or sit around as a slave to the camera in unpleasant weather, then remote control would be nice.
12-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

Tethering is S.O.P. for many studio workflows. Stylist and client can watch real time capture during the shoot and make adjustments as needed. It is also used in high volume shoots so edits and post processing can begin on-site.

12-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I've been to sheltered but I think many of the examples don't need a phone, just a competent remote.

I've tried quite a reasonable remote wifi capability on my wife's P'n'S viewed with a tablet. I could change exposure and zoom so many options.
It was ultimately frustrating because I most often needed to move the camera between shots so had to keep going back to it so I was only really using the tablet to fire the shutter.

Now give me zoom, pand and tilt in a remote and I think it would enhance the shooters capabilities in all the examples given.

To be fair I mostly use the remote capability of the Theta to make sure I'm not in shot, surprising difficult with its coverage.
12-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Now give me zoom, pand and tilt in a remote and I think it would enhance the shooters capabilities in all the examples given.
Exactly, going after birds with the wifi and my K-3 had me dreaming of ways to incorporate pan and tilt to a tripod. But, I didn't get any images.

Last edited by normhead; 12-12-2016 at 09:20 AM.
12-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd use a live view remote screen for composing self portraits and also awkward angles. I'm often wedging the camera on the ground aimed up at a mushroom or some forest thing, a flip out screen might suffice, but a tilty screen would be limiting. As it is, I'm often firing blind with my fixed lcd. A remote screen would be the most versatile solution.

Being able to change settings without touching the camera would also be liberating. Especially if the focus could be finely adjusted.

I'd hope the smartphone app will get polished over time. Hopefully, by the time I have a wifi capable camera, the interface is as awesome is I imagine it could be.
12-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

This guy is a tiny little toad, taken with the K-3 and Flu-cad and my iPad as the screen, but I don't find it very useful. I roam the bush to find subjects, and the odds of having my iPad or even my phone with me, and the patience to set it all up, is pretty rare. This guy was under my picnic table in my back yard so I hade time to run and get things etc. I actually put the camera on a monopod, so I could get under the table where he was hiding and move the camera up close, while framing on the iPad. But, it's rare to get this kind of opportunity in your back yard. Away from home, I wouldn't have had the iPad or the monopod. This might be my only really successful image taken with a remote or using wifi, and I have spent a few hours trying for hummers etc.

The idea is way more attractive than the practical application.

12-12-2016, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

This is the sort of thing where I'd love it...the camera was just about flat on the ground and the left side was pressed up against the tree so most flipout screens wouldn't have worked. Firing blind I hit the framing I wanted the first go, because I'm awesome.

For the many, many, many times I've tried this and missed the awesome mark by several country blocks, a remote screen would be a boon. At least, I imagine it would.

12-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

What is the best remote control to use at the moment? I had one of those small ones you can buy on Ebay for less then $5 and they work great at a short distance but struggle over 10 feet.

Not really interested in using my smart phone and app as they always seem very fiddly and wi-fi really drains the battery fast both on the camera and phone.

Just want a simple press button device like the one in the pic but with a greater range.
Attached Images

12-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
Time for Pentax to become modern and costumer friendly!
Not sure why they aren't " modern and costumer friendly" just because they don't have this app.
12-21-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Not sure why they aren't " modern and costumer friendly" just because they don't have this app.
Indeed!

The difference between Pentax/Canon/Nikon/Sony and all those phone & app companies is that the phone & app companies get paid in various ways every time you use the thing (ad sales, in-app purchases, media purchases, subscription fees, sales of your usage data, etc.)

Until some camera company creates a pay-per-pixel or camera leasing business model, they'll have no incentive to continuously improve older camera models and every incentive to only put the latest features in the next model.

(UGGG!! I can just imagine some future ad-suported camera that makes me watch an advert before I get to the hit the shutter button!)