Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
EV

Trust you guys to ask me about the EV value *lol*. (a) I can't find it and (b) when I follow the manual to try to determine what it is set at the lcd screen at the top simple flashes 4.5 and 2" !!! If any of you have a K10D and want to talk me through it, I'm happy to call from Australia!!!

02-15-2007, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the Pentax shot done in RAW? I didn't see it mentioned in any of the posts. I ask because most digital cameras will underexpose a little to prevent blown highlights then bump up the levels when creating the jpeg. This means that the image you see in the jpeg is not identical to the original capture. When you shoot in RAW the image on the LCD screen is the embedded jpeg with the levels bumped, not the actuall RAW image. Then when you open the image in a RAW viewer you end up seeing the actuall exposure, which may be darker.

If this was shot in jpeg please disregard all of the last paragraph.

Also, if you end up needing to adjust some of your images you don't need to get Photoshop. There are plenty of free apps out there that do a respectable job with jpeg adjustments.
02-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
In the green mode, well, I just don't know--it's the green mode.
I don't know why I'm ROFL tonight after reading this. It must have been one of those days in the office.
02-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Errr

Was shot as a jpg.....

02-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera doesn't actually display an 'EV'. In the EXIF (Part of a full JPEG/TIFF/etc file) there will be a 'comp' setting listed as +/-1,2,3.
02-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You need to use EV compensation

When taking picture of white object in white background you should set EV compensation to +1.5, +2.

Also it is not clear which metering mode are you using. Spot, center weighted, multizone?
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The mode

Checked the EV mode thingy in "P" not the green mode...

02-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...just one of those days...
02-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
rotfl

OK..Now I'm laughing. Look..I used the Panasonic very well, I think, and have had A4 sized shots published in glossy travel magazines when I did a 750 km cruise up the Mekong this time last year.... Another cruise operator in India was so impressed, he offered me a free cruise on the basis that I took photos for him and wrote stories! OK..I can write the stories fine...I used to be a journalist and foreign correspondent. But I figured "Maybe I had better buy a dSLR so he gets REALLY good photos!!!" So here I am, leaving for India in 6 weeks with a bloody camera where I can even find the EV!!! Sorry...now I am shitting bricks and thinking I might just take the Pansonic LMFAO!!!!
02-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
Was shot as a jpg.....
That does make it interesting. Other than the EV comp issue, which would manifest itself in the viewfinder, I think it just plain underexposed. I guess I should not be too surprised. Camera metering systems are calibrated to render the average tone of the scene to be equivelent to 18% gray. Since there are no other tones in this image than white the meter rendered it fairly close to 18% gray. This is the exact reason that EV comp exists in SLRs. I guess the funny part is that your other camera recognized the all white composition and compensated on it's own.
02-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Darius,

Man oh man...I wish I owned a K10D! I would be able to help out so much better. I'll have to earn it.
02-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
OK..Now I'm laughing. Look..I used the Panasonic very well, I think, and have had A4 sized shots published in glossy travel magazines when I did a 750 km cruise up the Mekong this time last year.... Another cruise operator in India was so impressed, he offered me a free cruise on the basis that I took photos for him and wrote stories! OK..I can write the stories fine...I used to be a journalist and foreign correspondent. But I figured "Maybe I had better buy a dSLR so he gets REALLY good photos!!!" So here I am, leaving for India in 6 weeks with a bloody camera where I can even find the EV!!! Sorry...now I am shitting bricks and thinking I might just take the Pansonic LMFAO!!!!
New camera...Murphy's Law just applied to you in spades. Thank goodness you decided to bring your old cam with you as a fallback.
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks anyway!

Hey, if nothing else, your good natured advice and support has simply confirmed my thoughts that I should join this wonderful website!!! And I so glad I did!!!
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bingo; IrfanView is a nice piece of software for quick and dirty viewing. Your dSLR (off the green mode) is an extremely 'literal' device. If you under/over expose-even just a little-it's going to show---big time!

The less you let it do the better! Most all of us K10 owners are still stumbling in the dark, but some things are becoming clear: it's very sensitive-auto focus, auto exposure, etc. The shutter release is hair trigger too. I ended my first day with it by turning all the automation off and running it like a fully manual camera. I chimped the histogram a bunch; stepped through shutter and aperture chimping every shot's histogram to see it actually march across the screen. Tedious!
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darius: With six weeks you got plenty of time to figure this thing out. I'm envious of your trip plans.

Dave: Even with the under exposure and the resizing look at the big jump in detail between the shots! Look at the edges especially in the long tapered portion of the necks--very interesting, huh?