Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2016, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will Ricoh continue with APS

New Q series lenses or cameras coming in 3-4 years or never.
A new K3 comes next years (i guess), but that can be the last top APS camera.
Ricoh focus on lenses to K1, lenses to APS has been low price zooms the last years (not for me).
So how many wants a top APS camera with only slow lenses?
I have request fast lenses for APS some years now, but the only wide one is DA14/2,8 that comes for 10? years ago . Not a 16/2, 18/1,7 or a normal as 28 or 30mm f1,2 or 1,4.
I love the limiteds, have all SMCs except 20-40zoom, but they are for "sunny days".
Now Fuji has fast lenses, but not sensor shake reduction yet. But they probable have in 2 years, and then why should i not go over to Fuji?
After some discussion and thinking i decides to buy a K1, That means i have a fast normal (FA50/1,4) and a moderate wide (FA35/2) and Manuel focus lenses as 16 fish eye, Tokina 17/3,5, Pentax K20/4 and K24/2,8, FA28-105 and a M 135/3,5, oh yes a FA43, FA77 and a F300/4,5. Perhaps i buy a DA200 and a DFA 28-105 the coming years, but thatsīs all.
I dinīt really want a K1 (to much weight and much more expensive) but it means i get a fast normal and a "fast" moderated wide that i donīt get in APS format from Pentax.
I think Ricoh want prestige cameras and donīt care about APS and especially Q series and the new lenses for FF are probably with many glass and a high weight and high price.
I started with Pentax 1977, i have been quite satisfied, but in 2 years i am probably going over to Fuji from Ricoh.

12-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be hugely surprised if Ricoh-Pentax stops making an APS format camera. Not everyone wants FF. (I do want! LOL)
12-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Compactness is kind of the niche of APS-C Pentax. I don't think the format is going anywhere, but I do think that most future fast lenses will be D FA's (which you can of course use if you want to). On the other side of the spectrum you've got all of the DA limiteds which are mainly for APS-C.

BTW, Samyang has released some really nice fast primes lately if you don't mind manual focus. They have a 16mm F2, 24/35/50/85mm F1.4, and a 135mm F2.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Samyang has released some really nice fast primes lately if you don't mind manual focus. They have a 16mm F2, 24/35/50/85mm F1.4, and a 135mm F2.
And all but the 16 will cover a FF sensor...also you forgot the new 20/1.8...

12-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone is giving up on APS-C. Nikon just released the D500 at $2k...
12-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

I think you find it be like Nikon & Canon have both FF & APSC in there line ups
12-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Compactness is kind of the niche of APS-C Pentax. I don't think the format is going anywhere, but I do think that most future fast lenses will be D FA's (which you can of course use if you want to). On the other side of the spectrum you've got all of the DA limiteds which are mainly for APS-C.

BTW, Samyang has released some really nice fast primes lately if you don't mind manual focus. They have a 16mm F2, 24/35/50/85mm F1.4, and a 135mm F2.
Yes, I think D-FAs are the name of the current game.. then Ricoh can entice us by saying 'you already have the FF lenses, just pickup a K-1' to those of us using their K mount crop system.

The Samyangs, while nice, are still manual focus. For anyone that hasn't tried them but thinks they'll be interested in them: Try disabling AF right now and see if it works well for you. Of course the dedicated MF lenses generally have a more buttery smooth throw to the focus ring. But the general idea can be had on most lenses..

12-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

It would make no sense for Pentax to abandon APS. That's the entry point for the vast majority of users. If they went to only full frame bodies Pentax would become even more of a niche brand than it already is and I doubt that would be a healthy long term strategy.
12-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think Ricoh want prestige cameras and donīt care about APS and especially Q series and the new lenses for FF are probably with many glass and a high weight and high price.
Pentax's most recent new camera is APS-C, the K-70. Not just a new body, but also new technology in the form of a noise-reduction component that is not even included in the K-1. This to me indicates significant commitment to the format... exciting times for a new flagship APS-C product.

Pentax's most recent new lens in the 55-300 PLE, an APS-C lens.

You say the K-1 is too heavy, but on the other hand you want fast lenses, which are heavy. As Adam said, fast new lenses are likely to be FF, which makes sense because 1) fast glass is generally heavy anyway and 2) with current conventional APS-C sensors topping out at 24MP they have similar pixel density to 36/42MP FF sensors, which helps ensure consistent performance across both sensor platforms.

It seems like the good times will continue for Pentax users.
12-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax's most recent new camera is APS-C, the K-70. Not just a new body, but also new technology in the form of a noise-reduction component that is not even included in the K-1. This to me indicates significant commitment to the format... exciting times for a new flagship APS-C product.

Pentax's most recent new lens in the 55-300 PLE, an APS-C lens.
What was the one before that? 16-85 WR ? I think before that was the 18-50 RE maybe..

What I'm getting at is.. we currently see the Pentax releases (lens-wise) becoming consumer/enthusiast to APS-C and enthusiast/pro to FF

While I don't expect to see new crop oriented APS-C primes or even DA* zooms anytime soon (next couple of years), I think we'll still see many APS-C bodies for K mount. As JeffB mentioned, that is the gateway to all things K mount. Just wait for Feb/March/April and the next wave of trade shows.. sometime around then we will probably see a K-3II successor..
12-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-3 still has a better burst rate than the K-1 which must indicate it's purpose in the grand scheme of things. I would imagine the upgrade to the K-3ii will still be a professional grade camera that works as an alternative to the K-1. A more sports orientated APS-C wouldn't go amiss to be honest.

It would be a platform where Pentax can trial new features on a smaller (easier) format.
12-17-2016, 01:22 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

For wildlife, APS-C is the best option.
12-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

APS-C remains, and will continue to do so, the best combination of image quality, size/weight and price for the majority of people. Despite the FF obsession of many photographers, APS-C is the lifeblood of Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji....

Now, will Pentax start to sideline APS-C development of cameras and lenses in favour of FF? That's a different matter and it's already happening, unfortunately. Whatsmore, they also have the digital 645 format to worry about.
12-17-2016, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think Ricoh want prestige cameras and donīt care about APS
They will do both. So stop this nonsense. But enjoy Fuji. Bye!
12-17-2016, 02:57 AM   #15

In the interview with Ricoh by PentaxForums Ricoh stated they are firmly committed to the APS-C format.

I think the reports of the death of Pentax APS-C are greatly exaggerated and are a case of FUD stirred up by the rumour mongers.