Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blacklite Quote
What lenses do you have? How many of the lenses that you already have support full frame? That might help with the decision.
In the Pentax digital line, I have a 21, 40, 70...all Limiteds. I have a 18-55, 16-45, 12-24 (wonderful lens), 10-17 Fisheye, 50 F1.4 normal, 50 F 2.8 Macro, 55-300 (old June '08 bought new) excellent for a consumer lens, 18-135, Sigma 150-500. I think I've forgotten one lens.

K mount film...35-105 A Macro (wonderful general purpose lens , bought new in '84), 28 F 3.5 Takumar K mount, 50 Macro F 4 Takumar K mount, 55 F2 Tak M42, 135 F3.5 Tak M42, 50 normal F 1.8 Tak M42, Bushnell 35mm and 90-230 M42 mount, both made by Tokina way back, I'm told.

I find that there has been misinformation about which digital Pentax lenses are full frame...which are not. I've gone to the Ricoh Pentax site which shows pics, taken by all their digital lenses. To me this is the most credible source of checking and I've found some of my ASP-C lenses I have...actually seem to work with FF camera...yep some very minor vignetting that can be easily dealt with..

12-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Decisions

Where in Western Canada do you live? I am in Victoria BC and see Pentax gear at London Drugs, Lens & Shutter and Kerrisdale Cameras. All have outlets in Vancouver and will bring in items from same if the local Victoria stores are out of stock. Having said that I ordered my K1 and numerous lenses from McBain Camera in Edmonton (they have stores in most larger cities in Alberta), I save PST and have my item(s) in my hands (thanks to WestJet, Edmonton International and Victoria airport) in less than 20 hours from pushing 'buy'. I have been buying from McBain for over 20 years with no complaints. I got my first Pentax SLR in 1981, love the brand, some has been stolen, sold, traded but have kept my K3, K1 (the best of the best), an LX , 67II and bags of lenses. For me I would not consider changing systems.
12-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Based on my conversations with RIAC representatives, a limited B&M presence with a focus on online availability is actually part of their marketing strategy. I know that being able to try the gear out locally would be nice, but it is what it is

The K-1 is a great camera, as is just about every other FF DSLR out there. It's hard to go wrong! I'd go with whatever you feel caters best to your needs. Every brand has a slightly different niche and strong points. Is there something in particular that you feel you absolutely must have in your FF (other than image quality)?
I would like a FF because of resolution, picture quality, etc. In the film era I used my Mamiya medium format system and of course 35mm Pentax, Leica, etc. I

Thanks Adam for the info re; your conversations with RIAC reps regarding their marketing strategy.

I must admit that in my OP, I skirted around the 800 pound Gorilla in the room....which is...can Pentax continue to exist with this strategy. I found that since Hoya took over...was it 2006, 2007 (?) that I've wondered if Pentax would become like Minolta...just another famous camera brand that was no more. With the continuing increasing number of specialty stores, not handling Pentax anymore this causes a lack of confidence with me, in the future viability of the brand. It's true that specialized camera stores are biting the dust in numbers I've never seen before (in my part of the world) and I've followed the camera biz since 1968.

I think what that means and I could be wrong, is that specialty camera shops are in survival mode and that they only handle...for the most part...the two dominant giants...Nikon and particularly Canon. Two brands that they can be assured of selling and making some bucks for themselves. Pentax has become a niche brand, that if you want one, you really have to work at getting one. Ok for older enthusiasts, but for newbies and we were all newbies at one time. I'm guessing, but I think many a newbie might say....why bother, I can get a very good Canikon right now... try it, see it ...at all sorts of local sources. If newbies don't buy Pentax in significant numbers...well, it does not bode well for the future.

I was quite pleased to see Ricoh take over Pentax and I've thought that they have done an excellent job for the most part...bringing out new models that offer more features for the dollar than the competition. Thank you Ricoh and as a long term Pentaxian, that is a sincere thank you.

But Ricoh is a large company and Pentax is a small division so my hope continues that Ricoh will continue to stay in the game .

So, to spit it out as it were will Pentax survive and still be with us within the next 5 -10 years ?

I know, who knows. But I have no doubt, that Canon and Nikon will still be here and in good shape within the next 5-10 years.

I would like to see regular sales figures for Pentax vs the rest...and on a year to year basis...to determine how Pentax are doing. Kind of like one would do before buying stock. I don't know if those figures are available, probably not I would think. But it would be nice.

Anyways, thanx to you and others for their input. I appreciate the different takes and it all goes into the mix to assist me with my decision. Please keep on posting.

Les

---------- Post added 12-17-16 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Where in Western Canada do you live? I am in Victoria BC and see Pentax gear at London Drugs, Lens & Shutter and Kerrisdale Cameras. All have outlets in Vancouver and will bring in items from same if the local Victoria stores are out of stock. Having said that I ordered my K1 and numerous lenses from McBain Camera in Edmonton (they have stores in most larger cities in Alberta), I save PST and have my item(s) in my hands (thanks to WestJet, Edmonton International and Victoria airport) in less than 20 hours from pushing 'buy'. I have been buying from McBain for over 20 years with no complaints. I got my first Pentax SLR in 1981, love the brand, some has been stolen, sold, traded but have kept my K3, K1 (the best of the best), an LX , 67II and bags of lenses. For me I would not consider changing systems.
I'm in Winnipeg and we have had 3 camera stores bite the dust in the past couple of years. We have one London drug and they have a very minimum of basic Pentax equipment....no K-1's or K3 lls that I've seen in my visits.

I have thought of buying stuff from the Camera Store in Calgary or McBains, but like to deal locally. If I were to buy online, it would be either these two stores or Henry's.

---------- Post added 12-17-16 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I started with a K100D, then K20D, then K5 (actually 2 of them) and a bunch of lenses - which you can see in my signature.

I sidewaysed into Canon with a used 40D and a new Tamron 150-600 because the K5-Sigma 150-500 was too slow to focus at airshows.

Thought I would keep both systems as I had the DA Limiteds and a fisheye zoom, etc. Bought the cheap Canon 50mm, and eventually the 17mm TS. It became clear I was not going to carry two systems as walk-arounds. Got a used 5D original (basically as another option for the 17TS which cost 4X),

I decided to stick with Canon. Sold my Pentax (for less than I thought it was really worth - but at a time when people were pondering the upcoming FF Pentax), as I bought more Canon gear which now includes the 70D with articulated screen (always wanted that) some used/refurbed convenience zooms for it, and the budget-minded 6D FF and some new primes.

I got the 70D and 6D from Adorama when they had some good rebates as well as combos deals - and I sold off the combo items. I did have to spend a bit more than I made in the Pentax sale but I've never regretted it.

Baa. Baa, baa.
"Thought I would keep both systems as I had the DA Limiteds and a fisheye zoom, etc. Bought the cheap Canon 50mm, and eventually the 17mm TS. It became clear I was not going to carry two systems as walk-arounds. "

Your situation is similar to where I might eventually be. If I went Canikon, I think I would keep two systems...Pentax and Brand X. But I think you're right, as time would go on, I would probably go to one system, as you have.

---------- Post added 12-17-16 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's an interesting situation that you're in...

At the beginning of the year, B&H were selling the Hasselblad HV kit with hand-picked Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8, waterproof hard case and beautiful Hasselblad-branded accessories. The price was very heavily discounted, working out to slightly less than the Sony A99 (on which it is based) + 24-70 + equivalent accessories here in the UK at the time. I knew that the camera was a Sony inside, but still I figured it may be the only opportunity I'd get to own a Hasselblad-branded camera that I'd actually use regularly.

Until I saw that camera advertised, I had no intention to buy a full-frame model - I'd decided that I was very happy with my K-3 and K-3II plus lenses; that they did everything I needed. But a Hasselblad... hmmm...

I had similar thoughts to you, but with an additional twist... The HV uses Sony's A-mount. Now, if you think Pentax has poor retail support, Sony A-mount is at least as bad, and possibly worse still. Plus, the money I was about to spend would have bought a nice Canikon full frame body and premium lens, with easy access to further compatible equipment and support in almost any city of any country worldwide. Then again, I knew that Pentax would be releasing the K-1 in a few short months, and since Pentax is where my "heart" is with photographic equipment, did I really want to buy into an entirely different system which would financially preclude me from getting a K-1? A good number of my lenses are full-frame compatible, so the K-1 was a no-brainer if I really wanted a full-frame camera. Lastly, the K-1 and Canikon bodies I could buy would have more recent sensors offering better resolution and low light performance... the HV came out in 2014, but was based on a 2012/2013 Sony model.

After much deliberation, practicality went out of the window and I followed my heart rather than my head. I wanted the Hasselblad, regardless of the lack of retail support, the smaller choice of new and legacy lenses, older technology, even the smirks of the photography community who had ridiculed Hasselblad's re-clothing and re-badging of Sony cameras. I didn't care, I really wanted that camera. So, I bought it, it felt good, and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Buying lenses has been a bit of a pain, it's true, but it's a fantastic system and I get a huge amount of enjoyment shooting with it. I can't ask for more than that.

If you're a hobbyist / enthusiast rather than professional photographer, that's what I think you should do too - go for the camera you most want; the one that will make you feel good when using it. If that's a Nikon, Canon or whatever else, so be it. You don't have to be wedded to Pentax. But if you really want the K-1 - and I suspect you do - then don't worry about the lack of retail support... you'll work around it, and it'll be worth it if the camera you shoot with puts a smile on your face
I know exactly what you mean. Back in the early '80's I wanted a Leica rangefinder (1981) and then in 1984, wanted a medium format. I couldn't afford the Pentax 6X7, but could afford a Mamiya 220 Pro F 6 X 6 and three Mamiya-Sekor lenses...a wide angle, a normal and a super telephoto. Still have both cameras (and the hand held light meter) and both cameras have afforded a lot of pleasure over the decades. Also I know what you mean about ownership of a Hasselblad...same feeling with a Leica Rangefinder.

Les
12-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I know, who knows. But I have no doubt, that Canon and Nikon will still be here and in good shape within the next 5-10 years.
?

Both companies are in crisis right now.

You wouldn't want to be an employee of either.

12-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon is probably the only company, in my opinion, that is practically guaranteed to stay the course for at least another 10 years. You see less and less of Nikon in B&M stores - our local Targets, for example, used to have both Canon and Nikon (and at some point even Pentax showed up) but now all they have is Canon. And the cameras display is tiny compared to what it was years ago... it shrank almost as much as the CD section...

So Ricoh is probably very aware of what the market is looking like and what the trends are, and is positioning themselves to stay the course. I'm sure there are no guarantees - the market could shrink to the point where most players drop out, but I don't see that happening just yet. Who knows what can happen 5 years from now, though. I have no idea.

But most importantly, I don't think I'll make decisions based on my market fears... for example, we bought a Pontiac car (a Vibe, great little commuter) a few years before Pontiac ceased to exist. Well, the car still runs just as well as it would had Pontiac stayed in existence So why worry about what you can't control? Regarding cameras, Canon might be the "safest" choice for futureproofing... but at least to me, it's also the most boring choice, and I think expensive for what you get.
12-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Economics suggests that B&M is being outpaced by online sales. A lack of visibility doesn't mean much except that the stores aren't selling the cameras. Since I started with a dSLR, Pentax has been nearly impossible to come by in a store. Never-the-less, the internet makes it easy to at the very least review things and do almost everything except put a hand on it.

As for supporting local stores. I've tried that with photography, but in the area I'm at, most stores are just chains that could care less to the point where I've been ridiculed at one store for wanting Pentax (store no longer exists). There is only so much one can do.

At this point, I have no regrets sticking with Pentax. With the current economic climate, I feel like all camera companies face similar vulnerabilities. Smartphones are where mainstream photography is headed, and thus the consumer base overall is likely shrinking, and it might be a company like Ricoh who can smartly withstand the changes. I actually think companies like Canon and Ricoh are positioned fairly well as they don't rely solely on photography for their livelihood. I'm not sure of the breadth in a company like Nikon, but I suspect that when or if things were to get worse for Nikon, their brand will be bought by someone and saved.

In the meantime, I feel comfortable that my camera will last quite a while and that Pentax will be around long enough for me to buy at least one more body. I've not had a Pentax camera die on me, yet, which makes sense. 3-5k photos a year doesn't really get close to the 100k rating on Pentax shutters in a short time frame.
12-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one suggestion for those bemoaning the lack of ability to put "hand own" experience before buying photo equipment by looking it over at the local shop.

If that was available, that would be ideal but for me, my local camera shop usually has very very little in the Pentax line new or used.

So, I have rented some equipment to try it out. (specifically I have used Lens Rental out of Tennessee)

the advantage is you get a true "field" experience, not just a hands on experience in a store.

the downside, of course, is that nothing in this life is free, it will cost $.

Some rental companies may offer equipment for sale and apply any rental fee to the cost.

just a thought.

12-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it is pretty clear that Ricoh is in it for the long haul. They wouldn't have just put the money into R and D to bring out a new full frame camera if they weren't going to continue to support it. At the same time, the market is and has shifted away from local stores and local stores are getting squeezed pretty hard. Consumers walk in, handle a product and then order it on line for slightly less (and maybe no tax) from a place that does higher volume. I guess Ricoh thinks that on line is the way to go in such a market.

I don't personally have a local store and so the best I can do is use on line stores with good return policies like B and H and Adorama.

Looking at your lens list, I do think you have enough full frame compatible lenses that you could make a decent start without a whole lot of investment. Anyway, good look whichever direction you go.