Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extended warranty by law

Good news for Mainers at least,
In the state of Maine there is a law that says you have the right to expect "reasonable" service from an electronic device that you buy. That life is 4 years. If the new K10D that I have on order fails within 4 years the retailer must repair it at no charge.
That means I won't be buying an extended warranty. You might want to check and see if your state has a similar law.

Lot's of luck,
Ken

10-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably won't need it ...

Hey Ken,

Sounds like good news for you all up in the corner. I personally don't think your going to need it for the 10D if it is built anything like their other products. They just seem to go on forever.
10-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Similar law here, object must be fit for it's purpose and is guaranteed by law for a reasonable length of time, what's reasonable has to be sorted out by each case.
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #4

I've never heard of such a thing!! And I live in Maine so this is very interesting. But I'm assuming it only applies if you purchase from a Maine retailer (I do most of my shopping online from out of state retailers).

But I did buy a $400 printer from Best Buy less than 4 years ago and it died a couple of months ago (some sort of problem with the cable connection I think) and I ended up having to buy a new printer, seems hard to believe that they would fix it at no charge.

10-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Call the attorney generals office for a

copy of the law. I just learned about it today.
Ken
10-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Looks like everyone in Maine's going to have the chance to pay for an extended warranty whether they want to or not. Nothing comes for free.
10-15-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Its always good to know what local laws are but as many of us are purchasing over the internet and usually across international borders protection is either very little or non existant.

I'm tired of purchasing over the net unless I can't get it locally - in the long run it is cheaper locally. But we've been thru that before haven't we!!!