Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Amazon deal

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
What I'm seeing on Amazon: K-S2 $499 no lens, K-70 $649 no lens
I guess it was a Xmas Amazon deal in the UK. It's gone now. Reading all this, I'll probably get the K-70 anyway.

12-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you asking me? You know I'm going to say "buy both". But for me, definitely a K-70. Once you get used to 24 MP files, there's no going back.
12-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once you get used to 24 MP files, there's no going back.
Certainly true for wildlife and macro. K-50 16mp -> 24mp is a huge jump in that regard.

Norm, you made an eloquent case in a recent thread for having two quite different cameras that offered different strengths: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/335427-time-upgr...iginal-k5.html

QuoteOriginally posted by mrg9999 Quote
Reading all this, I'll probably get the K-70 anyway.
But if you happen to turn up a K-3 in good condition for about the same money, consider that too. No flippy screen, no wifi (except with flucard), no pixel shift, heavier; same sensor; but better in just about every other way.
12-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Biggest difference IMHO is ergonomics. Grip size, buttons and dial feel etc.
I was going to start a separate thread, but maybe I can hijack this one with a related question. My daughter uses my K-5 on occasion. However, she finds it heavy and tiring to use. Both the K-S2 and K-50 (or K70) would be about 10% lighter, but where they differ is in the shape and style of the grip. Unfortunately, the main bricks and mortar stores I know of in Toronto don't stock Pentax (aside from the K1 & K3) so there is no where for her to try it out. For those who have used both, any thoughts on how they feel in the hand?

12-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I was going to start a separate thread, but maybe I can hijack this one with a related question. My daughter uses my K-5 on occasion. However, she finds it heavy and tiring to use. Both the K-S2 and K-50 (or K70) would be about 10% lighter, but where they differ is in the shape and style of the grip. Unfortunately, the main bricks and mortar stores I know of in Toronto don't stock Pentax (aside from the K1 & K3) so there is no where for her to try it out. For those who have used both, any thoughts on how they feel in the hand?
The K-50 is around 650g. vs. the K-S2 678g. The biggest difference is going to be what lens is on the camera. The 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens at 125g, the kit DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom at 230g, or the popular SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL at 405g? I am one that prefers the balance of a heavier body with a lighter prime vs. the other way around.
12-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #21
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The K-50 is around 650g. vs. the K-S2 678g. The biggest difference is going to be what lens is on the camera. The 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens at 125g, the kit DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom at 230g, or the popular SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL at 405g? I am one that prefers the balance of a heavier body with a lighter prime vs. the other way around.
The lens she's been using most is the F35-70, mostly for the macro mode at 70mm (235 grams). Part of the issue is the weight, and part is the grip in her smaller hands. I've gotten used to the K-5 with the overweight A35-105 holding it one handed, but that gets tiring after a little while and it is certainly not a walk around lens. So I guess the main thing is whether there is enough grip to the K-S2. I suspect I would find it too small in my hands. (Or further whether she needs something other than an APS-C, but I have plenty of Pentax compatible glass to share with her, and I don't really want to hijack this thread in that sort of direction.)
12-24-2016, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
For those who have used both, any thoughts on how they feel in the hand?
I can't compare K-S2 with the K-5 but I can with the K-3 and K-30. I'd describe them as Pappa Bear (K-3), Momma Bear (K-30) and Baby Bear (K-S2). For me, the feel of the K-3 is just perfect: the bottom right corner rests in the heel of my right hand, the middle finger wraps around comfortably, the thumb falls neatly on the AF button (for back-button AF) and the index finger on the shutter. The width is ideal, and the balance and heft are excellent, particularly for lenses >500g. The K-30 (essentially same as K-50) was very good - quite comfortable for each, although back-button focusing is more awkward; the lighter weight was good for carrying and for light-weight lenses, but not as good for big lenses. The K-S2 is the least comfortable for me: the tip of my middle finger presses into the body, and my index finger overshoots the shutter, and having to flex it gives less control. The body is less wide, but quite dense so it feels a little less balanced to me - even compared with the K-30 which is close to the same weight but slightly bigger.

My partner would list them in the reverse order of preference. She finds the K-S2 the most comfortable of the three - more like the old K100D Super that we used to have. I'd say her hands are average size for a caucasian woman - maybe slightly on the smaller side. It has been said that the K-S1 and K-S2 were designed with Japanese women in mind - I don't know whether that is true, but it would not surprise me.

One thing that is noticeable when I go from the K-3 to K-S2 is that the dials and buttons are not as raised and therefore less easy to use; but I guess they are less easy to knock too. The four-way controller is not as easy to use, even compared to the K-30. The PF review specifically mentions that the K-70 is better than the K-S2 in this regard. And of course not having a dedicated ISO button as on the flagship model is less convenient.

You do notice the extra weight of the K-3 compared to K-30 or K-S2 when carrying it for a while. I took the K-S2 and DA-L 55-300 on a walk yesterday and hardly noticed it. With the DA 35 f2.4 it would be rather like a mirrorless.

12-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

We have a K-3II and a K-S2. I personally find both comfortable to use. My wife likes the K-S2 better. It is considerably smaller and lighter. She has the 18-50 kit lens on it most of the time. It weighs near nothing.
I am guessing the K-70 would feel similar to the K-S2.
If your daughter finds your K-5 to heavy then perhaps a K-S2 with the 18-50 kit lens would be a good fit for her. B&H has the kits priced very reasonably.
12-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was hoping to find a sale on a K-70 so that my K-30 could serve as the second body. I ended up getting a used K-3 for a good price cheaper by a couple hundred than a new KS-2
PROS:
  • The K-3 really does feel like more of a professional camera.
  • Quiet shutter!
  • Much better low-light functioning, both in terms of focusing and of higher ISO. 2500ISO is really still quite decent w/ the K-3.
  • Overall image quality compared to the K-30, but especially in terms of being able to crop if needed.
CONS:
  • Getting used to the different location of the dials and buttons. Argghh... WB, flash, shooting mode all in different places. Green button and picture review in totally different locations...
  • Need to get another set of batteries / charger.
I think the main advantage for me if I would have gotten a K-70 is that there are more similarities with the K-30, the flip screen (which I think would be really helpful), and the ability to just keep one set of battery types.