Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

AA Batteries trade off with other features.

I rather like using AA batteries for various reasons, older ones used them by default, then with an adapter and also I think there are some that took them only in an additional grip ?, I have been looking at what cameras use them and the last ones look the be the K-50/K-500 albeit with an adapter.

However I would rather like an articulated screen, I cannot find any model that can offer me both, are there any that I have missed. Is it impossible even with a grip housing the AA's ?

12-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
AA Batteries trade off with other features.
Hi Frosty66. Welcome. The 2 battery grips that I know of that can use either the lithium battery or AA ( with a supplied insert ) are the D-DG4 for the K-7 & K-5 series, and the D-BG5 for the K-3 & K-3II. Hope this helps. Seasons greetings to you and yours.
12-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used NiMh AA batteries (Eneloops) as the back-up to my original K-30 battery since I bought it and really liked the fact that we had that ability. My daughter's K-50 is the same way and I gave her my spare AA battery carrier when she got it. I recently bought a K-70 and now I don't have that ability (about the only thing I don't like about the K-70) but it does take the same battery as the K-30 and K-50 so the original battery from the K-30 has become the back-up to my K-70 and the K-30 will be running on AA batteries only (one set in and one set ready to go). My wife has expressed an interest in learning to use a 'proper camera' (her terminology) instead of her Nikon bridge camera (usually set to auto everything!) so she will be getting access to the K-30 to learn with.

As you have surmised you can't use AA batteries on current bodies (unless you have a model with a grip) which is a big pity IMHO, especially as the AA batteries lasted longer and gave you more shots (and were cheaper to buy too).
12-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the K-1 with AA batteries (Eneloops). You don't even need to put lithium-ion batteries in the camera if you don't want to. It might be a bit too expensive for your needs, but it does have an articulating screen, and is part of the reason I jumped from my K-30.

12-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks you everyone for the responses, on further narrowing down of the options it appears (correct me if I's wrong) that if I want a movable viewscreen I have the options of K-1, K-70 and K-S2. However, if I am to retain the ability to use AA batteries that means only the K-1 with a grip.

So a K-1 it is then :-) I wish ! I have to rethink AA batteries vs movable viewscreen, something has to give ! :-)
12-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grab a k-5, k-5ii, k-5iis, k-3, k-3ii and the appropriate grip.
12-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote

As you have surmised you can't use AA batteries on current bodies (unless you have a model with a grip) which is a big pity IMHO, especially as the AA batteries lasted longer and gave you more shots (and were cheaper to buy too).
I haven't done the math to compare NiCad or NiMH AAs to the K-3 Lithium ion battery, but I can share that the K-3 battery lasts substantially longer than the K-30 battery does. It also has much better cold weather performance. Shockingly so, really.

12-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I haven't done the math to compare NiCad or NiMH AAs to the K-3 Lithium ion battery, but I can share that the K-3 battery lasts substantially longer than the K-30 battery does. It also has much better cold weather performance. Shockingly so, really.
The K-3 has a much larger battery, both in size and mAh so it's not surprising it lasts longer than the K-30 one.
12-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think I am starting to realise that with so few articulating screen models I have to drop the idea of sticking to AA batteries, even in a grip unless I can afford a K1 ! If I am correct that brings it down to a K-70 or K-S2.
12-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Initial outlay on a K1 may sound big,however the longevity(300k) makes it as good value as a K70/ks2(100k)....look at it from that perspective and get a better camera(eneloops are cheap)
12-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Initial outlay on a K1 may sound big,however the longevity(300k) makes it as good value as a K70/ks2(100k)....look at it from that perspective and get a better camera(eneloops are cheap)
I take the point but it's not even just twice the price but several multiples otherwise I may seriously consider it !
12-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would say just give up on using the AA batteries. Pentax has done a great job recently of sticking with the same proprietary battery, so getting a hold of them won't be too difficult, and there are many generics that will make them comparable to a AA. I always travel with 4 Pentax batteries (just in case), but rarely do I end up using up more than 1 battery in a day.

Of course, if you are using an articulating screen, your usage and experience will probably be different. I don't use live-view, which I think helps significantly with battery life. But, if I did rely on live-view, I'm not sure how much I'd care. Typically a battery lasts me 500+ shots (probably 700+) with a K3 or K5; rarely do I shoot that many in a day. Using live-view or an articulating-screen for shots, would probably lower battery life by half or more, so you do have to keep that in mind when you see reviews of battery life for various cameras.
12-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I would say just give up on using the AA batteries. Pentax has done a great job recently of sticking with the same proprietary battery, so getting a hold of them won't be too difficult, and there are many generics that will make them comparable to a AA. I always travel with 4 Pentax batteries (just in case), but rarely do I end up using up more than 1 battery in a day.

Of course, if you are using an articulating screen, your usage and experience will probably be different. I don't use live-view, which I think helps significantly with battery life. But, if I did rely on live-view, I'm not sure how much I'd care. Typically a battery lasts me 500+ shots (probably 700+) with a K3 or K5; rarely do I shoot that many in a day. Using live-view or an articulating-screen for shots, would probably lower battery life by half or more, so you do have to keep that in mind when you see reviews of battery life for various cameras.
Yes I think I am coming to that conclusion gradually as having it both ways doesn't seem an option. It's a pain as I'd still have to take around the AA charger and batteries for the flash. Do the modern flash guns still use AA's or do they happen to use the camera batteries in any ?
12-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the way the battery grips help me in handling the K 3 and the K 5 II, never tried the other camera bodies you have been discussing.

I have read that the battery grips also help with weight distribution when you use a "longer" lens.

My problem is that I had to get separate grips for the K 3 and K 5 ll

one thing to remember with AAs. you can find them almost any where should your specialized batteries "go south" for any reason.

YMMV
12-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

Never!

My cameras use AAs, my flashes, my transceivers. Really everything except my light meter and film camera, and both of those go through batteries so slowly it doesn't matter. It is superbly convenient not having to worry about extra chargers (especially since the K-30 and the K-1 use different lithium batteries, and different chargers).

It's also worth noting that cold weather and long exposures eat batteries.