Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #1

k200d flash possible problem

I have a new pentax k200d. Initially the camera was working fine. After about a month or so, I've noticed that the built-in flash is not working properly. By that, I mean even on the setting in which the flash should work, it does not work all the times as it should! I have tried everything. I have reset the settings to the factory settings. My most basic operating mode is in the "portrait" mode with the "flash on" and the flash is "up". The flash icon will be constant sometimes and the flash with operate. But other times the flash icon will be flash and it will not flash?Why? I thought if the flash in the "flash on" mode and in certain settings like "portrait", and if the flash is "up", the flash should always flash! Can anyone help me out? I feel like returning the camera!

08-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weak batteries possibly? I know most flashes won't recycle and be ready as quickly when your batteries start getting weak. Just a thought.
08-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the flash symbol is blinking, it means the flash is in its recycling phase (it's recharging), and while that is happening, if you depress the shutter button, you'll take a picture without firing the flash.

The K200D should have an option in the custom menu to prevent you from taking a picture unless the flash is fully charged.

Also don't use Alkaline batteries - only use Lithium or Ni-MH rechargeables.
08-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The K200D should have an option in the custom menu to prevent you from taking a picture unless the flash is fully charged.
Yes, it's custom setting no 15 in the K200D.

08-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
If the flash symbol is blinking, it means the flash is in its recycling phase (it's recharging), and while that is happening, if you depress the shutter button, you'll take a picture without firing the flash.

Also don't use Alkaline batteries - only use Lithium or Ni-MH rechargeables.

Coincidentally this is new set of batteries. The initial set of batteries that came with the camera worked great. At first I tried the alkaline and they didn't perform so well so I did switch to the lithium. I guess I can do so again - get a fresh new set of lithuim battery and set the setting to prevent me from taking a picture until the flash is fully charge. Any recommend on the best performing lithium batteries?
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Energizer Lithiums that came with my K200D seemed good. After I depleted them I've switched to the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. (hhgregg sells them at a good price) I've heard lots of good things about them and so far so good. Next up is a good charger for them. I'm currently using a charger that came with on of my sets of Eneloops. I'm looking at the La Crosse Technology BC-900. Again I've seen a lot of good reviews on the charger also.

Good Luck
08-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Dunno which lithiums are best. I just work with Sanyo rechargeables (2700 mAh, not the eneloop kind). I get about 400-600 shots out of a complete charge.

And I use a standard GP fast charger. Works for me!

08-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #8

Was the problem resolved?

Hi,

I got my k200d today (yay!) and after some 320 shots (with the supplied batteries) I have the same problem. The battery indicator indicates fully charged but I get no flash. I've checked the relevant settings and everything setting is still in default.
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Make sure the flash symbol in the lower left side of your viewfinder is solid not flashing before you take a picture requiring the flash. As the batteries are used they require a longer time to recycle the flash. If you try to take the picture before the flash is ready you'll get the picture without the flash. If you don't like this mode go to Custom Setting 15 in the menu and set it to 2. This will make you wait until the flash is charged to take the next picture. It is set to 1 or off as the default.
01-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #10

Same problem here!

Hello to all!

This is my first post on this forum.
I'm experiencing the same problem: after one month my K200D's flash does not work anymore...
I've new Lithium 2400 mah batteries, the flash charging led it's ok, the flash is set to work even if there is no need (always on)...
All settings have been restored to default...

Have you already solved the problem?

pgiom
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Inactive Account

K200d built in flash intermittent

Hi, I too discovered this problem with my K200d internal flash. I have all the menus set properly, new batteries (tried two sets) menu is set to wait until flash is charged b4 shutter fires. The flash fires incorrectly about 50% of the time, leaving totally underexposed results. Has any one contacted Pentax about this? I would hate to send my camera in and wait several months to get it back...
03-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200Duser Quote
Hi, I too discovered this problem with my K200d internal flash. I have all the menus set properly, new batteries (tried two sets) menu is set to wait until flash is charged b4 shutter fires. The flash fires incorrectly about 50% of the time, leaving totally underexposed results. Has any one contacted Pentax about this? I would hate to send my camera in and wait several months to get it back...
What do you mean by "fires incorrectly"? Does it fire or not? If it fires at all, there is probably not a problem - it's probably just a matter of your exposure settings not being a good match for the scene. Eg, too low an ISO or too small an aperture for the distance to subject.
03-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

K200d built in flash intermittent

The flash fires 100% of the time, at least 50-60% of the time it flashes incorrectly. Not providing a full flash. As I said in my previous post. All menu items are correct. Example.. camera set to full auto, iso set to 400, NO flash compensation, flash NOT set on wireless, new batteries, menu set to only fire flash after reaching full charge. Room is well lit. Shooting range about 8 feet. I can take three pictures of the exact same subject, same distance, same everything. Only one will come out properly exposed. The other two look about 3-4 stops underexposed, I even waited about 20 sec. between shoots to ensure flash is fully charged. I think this is a hardware problem and not a user caused issue.
KR
03-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

hmmm...the times I've used the built in flash it's worked properly. My cam is @8 months old so maybe it's a recent issue, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Assuming those complaining have read the manual and understand the instructions (p.62 & p.127) and are using a compatible lens (p.133), I suggest testing in Manual exposure mode.
So set the shutter speed to 1/180 or less and adjust the aperture to get a correct exposure.
Once the exposure is correct, shoot the same scene repeatedly and watch for inconsistencies.

hth
03-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200Duser Quote
The flash fires 100% of the time, at least 50-60% of the time it flashes incorrectly. Not providing a full flash.
OK, but as I said, that could easily be correct behavior depending on the distance to subject, the exposure settings, the reflectance of the subject, etc. At ISO 400, the flash can certainly reach 8 feet if the aperture is wide enough, but who knows what aperture the camera selected. You should set it yourself to an appropriately wide aperture. And also consider that is there is anything between you and your subject, the camera will meter off that closer (and hence brighter) object instead of your subject, producing an underexposed subject. It is unfortunately just not the case that you can always point & shoot in auto mode with flash and expect a well-exposed picture.

If you post a picture (with EXIF intact) that demonstrates what you are seeing, most likely people will be able to make suggestions.

QuoteQuote:
I can take three pictures of the exact same subject, same distance, same everything. Only one will come out properly exposed. The other two look about 3-4 stops underexposed
OK, if it's the exact same settings - and "auto" doesn't count as a setting because the camera might easily change its mind about aperture based on whatever whim it bases such decisions on - then the problem could still be a foreground object that sometimes confused the flash exposure sensor and sometimes didn't. It certainly *could* be a defect, but at this point, I'm not seeing nearly enough evidence/information to jump to that conclusion yet.