Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterfiend Quote
I am using a Panasonic 4GB SDHC (class 6) card, which seems very fast and working flawlessly. The part # is: RP-SDV04G.

Dave

K200D
DA18-55mm AL II
I'm now using a Transcend 8gb SDHC (class 6) card I got from Buy,com for $12.00 a few months back and it's working great, I was skeptical at first of buying it because it was sooooooo cheap Hope to find it on sale again

Barry

02-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am considering a Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHD (or even the 16 GB, but probably not) from Amazon.

I'd hate to order it if it won't work.

I can easily take 300 plus captures in an hour or two outdoors. I'd just as soon not always be swapping cards, and leave it sealed, using the usb cable to get them out into the computer.

Does anyone have any experience with these? The price is right.

Does the speed rating (class #) matter with the K200d? Is that a bottleneck? There are Sandisk 8gigs on sale locally for about a quarter more than the Transcend, but they are Class 2.
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #33
Inactive Account

And I get an answer while I'm typing my question. . . . Talk about fast! ;-)
02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
I am considering a Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHD (or even the 16 GB, but probably not) from Amazon.

I'd hate to order it if it won't work.

I can easily take 300 plus captures in an hour or two outdoors. I'd just as soon not always be swapping cards, and leave it sealed, using the usb cable to get them out into the computer.

Does anyone have any experience with these? The price is right.

Does the speed rating (class #) matter with the K200d? Is that a bottleneck? There are Sandisk 8gigs on sale locally for about a quarter more than the Transcend, but they are Class 2.
I use the Transcend 8gb with my K200D, works great. A fast card helps because the K200 has a small buffer, but fast write speed.

02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the the other brands of cards, but I've noticed a few threads where people have problems with cards. It could be the on-card drivers or the contacts.

However, I've got a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB and 8GB card which work flawlessly. I tend to stick with the big brand manufacturers (a bit like choosing CD or DVD media) as the better stuff has lower error rates and better manufacturing tolerances.

I shoot RAW + JPEG and may shoot 30-40 frames in session with no dramas at all.

As for a tight fit of the card - yes its a bit tighter on a K200D than my old P&S camera (or my kids P&S Canons), but not that much, and as Marc points out the amount the card sticks out is small (which may make it seem tight), so its a bit harder to remove until your used to it .

Just my two bits.......
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Please!! I hope your not trying to pull out the card manually. I always push it in and it pushes out by itself.
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Please!! I hope your not trying to pull out the card manually. I always push it in and it pushes out by itself.
Good point - although its very hard not to use the push in/out (a la radio buttons) as the card is locked in the loaded position and none of it sticks out......but in the unloaded position it only sticks out about 2mm

02-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Diasfu Quote
Hi everyone. Just to say, that I bought the 8gb Extreme III class 6, and it works perfectly. I did try before other brands, 4 and 6gb, but always had the problem. So I decided to spend that extra on a card that should work. And I'm happy now. Been using it for about 2 months, and haven't had a problem. I get about 400 Raw pic. and that's good for me.

So my suggestion, get one of the Extreme III 8gb, or one of the other cards, others have suggested.

Regards
I have been using a 16 GB Kingston class 4 SDHC card, as well as an 8 GB OCZ class 6 SDHC card, both without any problems with my K200D. I also have a 4 GB Patriot but I no longer use it since I got the larger cards.
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
Forum Member

I had the same problem with the Kingston cards, so I switched to SanDisk and they've been working perfectly.
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Furtivito Quote
I had the same problem with the Kingston cards, so I switched to SanDisk and they've been working perfectly.
Hello folks...

Welp, let me chime in my two cents worth. I use two Transcend 8GB class 6 SDHC cards as a general rule. I have not had any problem using either of them. I have also used a 4GB SDHC SandDisk Ultra II without issue and a 2GB PNY cheap blue encased SD memory card without any difficulty.

I am unsure if there is something amiss with these camera units and their memory card i/o stuff. But, I would highly doubt that really. Let me ask, and make sure everyone is practicing safe card handling...

First, do you turn off the camera before removing the card?

Removing a memory card while an electronic device is turned on may be essentially safe for some gadgets like Palm devices, desktop computers and the like. However, always turn off your camera before attempting to remove the card.

Do you ever let the batteries run down to zero voltage, where the camera turns itself off?

Never take photos until the batteries die on the camera. If the camera is writing to the card when the power dies you can potentially lose all of your photos and it may also damage the card.

Do you format your card in computer or in camera?

Never format a card on your computer and then expect it to work correctly and consistently in your camera. Always format the card inside the camera.

Do you respect the fragility of these cards?

Always depress the card to make it essentially flush with the camera body when you want to eject it. Then, slowly allow the card to spring out of the depressed position. Next, grasp the card as best you can without squeezing too much or warping the plastic case. I have switched cards many. many times in my K200D and it is just as tough to remove a card today as it was on the first try. So far I have not seen the removing the card process loosen up at all. I have very large hands which equates to large fingers as well. As a result, the removal of the card is always the moment of most trepidation I have with the camera. However, grasp it gently, firmly and pull the card straight out, with patience and methodical movement.

YMMV...

Jason

Last edited by alderfall; 02-11-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
05-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Hi all

I've just had the problem with my K200D and a SDHC card Transcend 4GB class 6, many shots, but not all, lost after an error message (cannot display picture, or pictured not stored).

I remembered having similar problem, last summer (a few days after receiving my K200D), but then it was only 1 image lost.

Now the interesting stuff:

I had shot all day, pictures were stored in \DCIM\100PENTX. At some point the K200D created a new folder \DCIM\101PENTX. My guess is that all pictures in the first folder were kept, and all pictures in the 2nd folder were lost. They were available and correctly stored (I kept checking them, truned the camera on and off several times) until 1 error, that erased backwards all the shots in the folder.

I'm thinking this because the \DCIM\101PENTX still contains one 2GB (huge) file named "IMGP." which I guess contains all my lost shots.
The used space of the card (drive properties) 3.58 GB, free space is 137 MB.
The size of DCIM is 4.37 GB (incoherent).

So I guess the error occured because the camera did not "see" that the card was full but tried to record additional pictures, and screwed the file system.

Now I'm trying to recover the files, with no success yet.
05-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Personally, I use only memory cards made by Sandisk or Sony & have had no problems. I wouldn´t have a trying other respected brands such as Panasonic or Lexar but any generic ones or any made by the cheaper brands (Kingston, Transcend, Integral etc) I would never use. Maybe I´m being needlessly careful, or just needlessly paying more for the same thing, but I value my photos & rarely would I have the opportunity to re-take any of them if they were lost.

Sodbuster, I´m buying Sandisk even though the price is not right, better to have lower capacity & better quality.
05-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Personally, I use only memory cards made by Sandisk or Sony & have had no problems. I wouldn´t have a trying other respected brands such as Panasonic or Lexar but any generic ones or any made by the cheaper brands (Kingston, Transcend, Integral etc) I would never use.
I have no direct experience comparing the various cards, but I'd note that Kingston has been one of the respected played in the memory game for decades - almost certainly far longer than most of the others you mention.
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by fonkydevil Quote
I had shot all day, pictures were stored in \DCIM\100PENTX. At some point the K200D created a new folder \DCIM\101PENTX. My guess is that all pictures in the first folder were kept, and all pictures in the 2nd folder were lost. They were available and correctly stored (I kept checking them, truned the camera on and off several times) until 1 error, that erased backwards all the shots in the folder.

I'm thinking this because the \DCIM\101PENTX still contains one 2GB (huge) file named "IMGP." which I guess contains all my lost shots.
The used space of the card (drive properties) 3.58 GB, free space is 137 MB.
The size of DCIM is 4.37 GB (incoherent).
This sounds like what happens when it's interrupted during a write. Examples would include sudden power failure (the K200D's battery system is normally better than this, but..), attaching the camera to a computer and not ejecting/safely removing/unmounting it on the computer before unplugging it or turning the camera off, doing something similar with the card in a separate card reader, opening either the battery or card bays without first turning the camera off and waiting a moment, etc.

Did you do anything other than shoot with it during that time?

It could be a bad card of course; it's just that in my experience this type of corruption is more likely to happen due to an interrupted operation than anything else.

(Incidentally, a new folder is created when the old one reaches 500 images.)
05-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alderfall Quote
First, do you turn off the camera before removing the card?
In addition, do you wait for the camera to stop writing to the card before you turn it off?

I suspect at least some of the reported card problems are due to this. If you have the review function turned off, or you don't chimp every shot, it's easy to do.