Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

question about K200D, also SDHC problem

Hi,
my K200D arrived today. I also bought 2 Kingston 4GB SDHC cards.

so I have 2 questions:

1) is the SD slot supposed to be a lot 'stiffer' in the K200D than in the *ist Ds? After popping out the card it is still quite hard to pull the card out of the K200D. It comes out a lot smoother from my *ist Ds after popping it out.

2) both 4GB SDHC cards cause corruption after only a few (certainly less than 50) shots. The camera says 'The image is not stored' on the screen after trying to write it, and on playback says 'Camera cannot display this image'. I've tried formatting the cards in-camera a couple of times. I'm having trouble narrowing down whether it's the camera or card - the K200D seems to work fine with my previous 2GB SD card. However, the 4GB SDHC cards seem to work fine in my *ist Ds and compact cameras. Any ideas? I guess the cards could be defective/fake but they are from Tiger Direct which should be pretty reputable.

thanks,
andy
www.digital-coffee.co.uk

08-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. My new K200D is also hard to pull the SD card out. I believe it has to do with a weather seal around the card slot causing extra resistance when removing the card.

2. I've got a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III card for mine and have not had any problems with mine.

Congrats on the new camera. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I'm real happy with it so far.
08-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
1. My new K200D is also hard to pull the SD card out. I believe it has to do with a weather seal around the card slot causing extra resistance when removing the card.
OK, good to know it's a design 'feature' and not a fault with my camera.

The bigger issue is the memory card problem though. I guess the most likely culprit is the memory card but it is strange that it seems to work in everything else except for the K200D!
This is the exact card I have: Amazon.com: Kingston - Flash memory card - 4 GB - Class 6 - SDHC: Electronics (Kingston 4GB SDHC class 6)

Are there any known issues with the K200D and certain SDHC cards?

andy
www.digital-coffee.co.uk
08-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Andy,

Seems some other people are having problems with this card. See the link below. I know this isn't a lot of help but maybe it's pointing to a problem with the card not you camera.

K10D - Kingston SDHC issue: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Good Luck,

08-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by andc Quote
Hi,
my K200D arrived today. I also bought 2 Kingston 4GB SDHC cards.

so I have 2 questions:

1) is the SD slot supposed to be a lot 'stiffer' in the K200D than in the *ist Ds? After popping out the card it is still quite hard to pull the card out of the K200D. It comes out a lot smoother from my *ist Ds after popping it out.
Can't comment since I don't have a *ist Ds. I do have a Nikon coolpix L1 digicam and the SD slot is about the same stiffness.

QuoteQuote:
2) both 4GB SDHC cards cause corruption after only a few (certainly less than 50) shots. The camera says 'The image is not stored' on the screen after trying to write it, and on playback says 'Camera cannot display this image'. I've tried formatting the cards in-camera a couple of times. I'm having trouble narrowing down whether it's the camera or card - the K200D seems to work fine with my previous 2GB SD card. However, the 4GB SDHC cards seem to work fine in my *ist Ds and compact cameras. Any ideas? I guess the cards could be defective/fake but they are from Tiger Direct which should be pretty reputable.

thanks,
andy
www.digital-coffee.co.uk
Do the cards work OK in your computer ?
Did you try formatting them on the PC ?
I would fill them up with some files from your hard drive.
Then compare the files from the card to the original files. I don't know a GUI tool, I would just use the command-line "COMP" command in a shell window under windows.
08-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

My manual states to check Pentax's website for compatible SD cards. I'll be darned if I can find that info on the website. WDO
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

I had exactly the same problems

Hi,

I had exactly the same corruption issues using a 4GB SDHC TAKEMS, I tried two models, both with the same problems. I formated it in diferent ways, tried everything with the same result. They work fine with the computer and other gadgets. However I have no problems using a 2GB SD I had from my other camera. Recently I bought a 4GB SDHC Sandisk Extreme III and I have no problems, it runs really good. One time it gave my an error but I pulled it out and inserted it again and problem solved. I also feel that it's quite hard to pull the card out from the camera.

Greetings,
fotsan

08-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No issues here with that card *knocks on fake wood*
08-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got cards that work in my camera but not my computer, but none that have the opposite problem. Wouldn't surprise me, though. I'd just chalk it up to slight variations in specs and try a different card. I'm using n 8GB card in my K200d with no problems.

As for the difficulty removing the card, it is indeed because of the weather seal, and I'd say it's not just that it is stiffer, but also that there is no room for fat fingers to get between the card and the door. If your'e got nails, you can use the groove on the end of the card. I typically grab from the corners.
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Damn Brit

I also have the same problem with a 4g Kingston on a K10. Someone posted in another thread that for K10 you must have 1.3 version firmware. I haven't tried upgrading yet to see if there is any difference.
Has there been any firmware releases for K200 I wonder?
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I also have the same problem with a 4g Kingston on a K10. Someone posted in another thread that for K10 you must have 1.3 version firmware. I haven't tried upgrading yet to see if there is any difference.
Has there been any firmware releases for K200 I wonder?
No updates for the K200D yet. It supports SDHC from the start.
08-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies all.

Well, the difficulty with removing the memory card seems to have gone away for me. I think it's just a matter of getting acclimatised to the new mechanism. Also, finding out about the little nail groove on SD cards which I'd never noticed before helped too.

As to the Kingston cards. Still no joy I'm afraid. I can't format them on a computer because I don't yet have an SDHC reader. The cards played up in my compact recently too so I'm going to send them back as they clearly don't work.

2 Crucial 4GB SDHC class 6 cards arrived today though so I'll try them out tonight. Hopefully I'll have more luck!

andy
www.digital-coffee.co.uk
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Inactive Account

SDHC problem as well on my K200D

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm having the same problems with my K200D. The 4GB SSDHC cards sometimes don't work on it.

Here is what happened to me. I bought the camera about 2 weeks ago. I got a 4GB SDHC classs 6 from the internet, and I was using it fine. In the morning I took about 30 pictures, all stored, and I checked them later in the afternoon(from the camera). They were still there. Then just before the evening, I went out, took my camera, and started doing some pictures. I took about 50 more. I checked all of them, did close up in the camera, played around with the settings and everything. No problem. I turned off the camera for about 10 min. and when I turned it back on, and the pictures were gone. All 50 of them. Funny though, because the pictures from the morning were still there. I was sad and mad, since there were some nice pic. on it. I came home, and just to be sure, I checked the memory card on the computer. All the evening pictures were gone, but the morning once were still there..
I tried formating the memory card, but on the computer, it was showing me an error. I could only format it on the camera. So I wrote a furrious email, demanding a replacement for another card. I still haven't recieved it, but hopefuly soon. Meanwhile I bought another 4GB SDHC TakeMS class 6. And tried that one. Worked fine, I took loads of pictures, tried formating it, and everything worked as it was sompose to.
I left the camera to stand for 2 days. Then I took it out, and tried making a RAW pic. But I couln't, since it was showing me that error: 'The image is not stored' and 'Camera cannot display this image'. The images from before were there, and I could view them, but I wasn't able to make any pic. I tried other pic. format as well, other setting, but nothing worked. I had to format the card, and then it worked. I took some pic. and left it untill the morning. But then in the morning, I got the same error when trying to take any pic.
I have my old classic 1Gb SD card, that I've put in, today, and I want to see if I get the same result.

Now, is this as a camera fault? Or it's just some software issue, since I'm not the only one having the same problem. Do I just have to spend more money on the memory card, and buy the SanDisk Extreme III, since Knoether didn't have any problem with it? Or should I just downgrade and go for the 2GB. I have as well tried a standard 2GB, when I was waiting for the second 4Gb card to arrive, and I didn't have any problem. But it's true, that I didn't take many pic. with it.
Should I go to the shop with this problem?

Anyways, sorry that it's so long, I'm just a bit off, since it's not a cheap camera, and I'm, leaving soon, from where I bought it. So if it's the camera's faul, I'm not very sure what to do.

Other than that, I Love it. If this issue gets solved, I woun't regret one bit I got it. I was deciding between D60, Canon 450D, and this Pentax, and I think it's the best. Simply best.

Thanks
D
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

Had that problem with that same error mine ended up being a dud card. Got a new card and everything works great!
08-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am using a Panasonic 4GB SDHC (class 6) card, which seems very fast and working flawlessly. The part # is: RP-SDV04G.

Dave

K200D
DA18-55mm AL II