Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would you like to see Pentax enhance about their DSLR's?

After having had a couple of Pentax cameras (K-50 and K-1), I am absolutely happy with the results of the images and the ability of the lens (18-135, 50 1.8, and 55-300).

However, if Pentax really wanted to take it to the next level, things like improved Auto-Focus acquisition time (more focus points + more cross points) would increase the number of keeper shots that are sharply focused on the subject. What good is a great sensor and lens, if the subject is not acquired in time to snap that perfect shot? Or if the AF guesses wrong and acquires something else, resulting in the subject being out of focus?

Second, and this kind of complements the first, is touch screen for adjusting the focus spot in Live View. Having the ability to pick the subject's focus point (especially eyes in portraits, or specific object within a deep DoF shot) being more user definable rather than guessed by the AF, the number of keeper shots would increase. It would also make using LiveView vs. the viewfinder, a whole lot more valuable to use too.

While features such as articulated/tilting LCD screens, WiFi/NFC, onboard flash unit, AF tracking in movie mode, and GPS are also very nice features, and to some photographers, indispensable, to me having 4 out of 4 shots being perfectly focused/composed instead of 1 or 2 out 4 would be a major improvement that would compete with the Sony & Canon AF acquisition speeds.

12-30-2016, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Do you really think that they dont work on these matters?
12-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As you appear to be new to Pentax and apparently knowing those other brands do better in the areas that matter to you, why did you ever buy into Pentax?
12-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
As you appear to be new to Pentax and apparently knowing those other brands do better in the areas that matter to you, why did you ever buy into Pentax?
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Do you really think that they dont work on these matters?
Just another "expert". He must have missed all the past posts covering the same landmark thinking.

12-30-2016, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

The post raises some good points, Would be interesting to see if there are any real reasons why Pentax lags behind.
12-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think licensing/patenting issues and processing power is what's holding Pentax's AF back. Maybe that's why Pentax's AF performance seems to be a few generations behind in some areas.

But it's good enough for my needs. I'd like to see Pentax improve their apps, both for the Theta and for the Wi-Fi enabled DSLRs. A proper PC gallery for the Theta and a nice file transfer app for the DSLRs would be a good start.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
The post raises some good points, Would be interesting to see if there are any real reasons why Pentax lags behind.
You would need to get a direct answer from Pentax/Ricoh. With the possible exception of Kenspo who may be able to chat directly with a design engineer (though may not be able to post about it) no-one here can do anything else but guess.

12-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

An interesting first post. Especially how touchscreen is seen as the second important feature, while "articulated/tilting LCD screens, WiFi/NFC, onboard flash unit, AF tracking in movie mode, and GPS" are second-tier

Joking aside, sure, there's much to improve regarding the AF. However, it's not like Pentax could work exclusively on AF; first because they'll never be done - it's a continuous improvement, and as Pentax is catching up the competition moves forward as well. So working on these secondary features is important as well, because they are actually useful, and they do help selling the cameras.
12-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
things like improved Auto-Focus acquisition time (more focus points + more cross points) would increase the number of keeper shots that are sharply focused on the subject. What good is a great sensor and lens, if the subject is not acquired in time to snap that perfect shot?
It's not the time or even the focus points per se (though having more of them does help); it's the tracking algorithms that continuously compute the camera-to-subject distance and determine not only the distance itself but how quickly that distance is CHANGING, so that it can shift the focus point by the right amount in the time it takes the shutter to fire; e.g. if there is a lag of 1/250 between when the button is pushed & the mirror starts to flip (and AF is lost) and the image is recorded, how far is that subject going to move in 1/250 of a second? Variables include how often that distance is measured, how accurate the measure is, and how accurately the AF module drives the lens to that particular distance. And that's just an oversimplification; in fact, there's a complex control-feedback loop going on in many directions at once, and woe betide the designer who cannot show their original work, otherwise the patent infringement suit will do terrible things to your company (as it did when Minolta were shown to have stolen AF technology from Honeywell).
12-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #10

A half click on a Nikon D7200 revels the AF points light up and in a flash and lens focuses - all in a flash of a second. AF on my K5II with 18-135 is good compared to screw drive lenses, still there is that delay of a fraction of a sec - many times you loose the moment.
Hardware wise even K5II was ahead in the game - 9 cross points; however that is just gathering the data part. Whats important is the software that analyzes and the processor that executes it

---------- Post added 12-30-16 at 01:35 PM ----------

After having had a couple of Pentax cameras (K-50 and K-1), I am absolutely happy with the results of the images and the ability of the lens (18-135, 50 1.8, and 55-300).However, if Pentax really wanted to take it to the next level,.
The bodies improvements need to be complemented. Most of the primes in DA seri4es have fstops between 2.8 -4. That does not help. For the price tag they carry, I would expect fstps tobe between 1.4 and 1.8. And they dont have to be expensive. An iphone camera now boasts f1.8 @ 5mm and in Pentax lineup we have DA 50/1.8 under $100. So there can be lenses manufactured and sold around $100 mark - that will drive consumption and popularity!
12-30-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

things like improved Auto-Focus acquisition time (more focus points + more cross points) would increase the number of keeper shots that are sharply focused on the subject.
I generally average about 95% in focus. And the misses are my fault not the camera. No disrespect, but if you are not getting a good in focus rate with the k-1 you need more practice. Unless you are shooting sports or something which I do not do and generally has more of a "spray & pray" process so the number of in focus shots is lower.

is touch screen for adjusting the focus spot in Live View. Having the ability to pick the subject's focus point (especially eyes in portraits, or specific object within a deep DoF shot) being more user definable rather than guessed by the AF, the number of keeper shots would increase. It would also make using LiveView vs. the viewfinder, a whole lot more valuable to use too.
Maybe I am old school but fooling around with a touch screen while trying to shoot seems very awkward. Again no disrespect but if you learn to use the camera you do not need more 'gadgets' to play around with. I'll admit a touch screen for focusing is cool, it is just impractical for a DSLR. Just MHO.

to me having 4 out of 4 shots being perfectly focused/composed instead of 1 or 2 out 4 would be a major improvement that would compete with the Sony & Canon AF acquisition speeds.
When did it become the camera's job to be perfectly focused/composed? I thought that was the photographers job?
12-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

AF you can compensate for using QS MF and similar. Remember, people did all kinds of photography even before AF was invented. And Pentax' AF is not terrible, it just hast its quirks that you have to learn and appreciate to get good shots. Check out this forum or websites and you will see plenty of people taking stunning photos with Pentax gear - of landscapes, wildlife, macro, still life, people portraits..

What would I change in Pentax? I would like an FF K-01 with fast AF and faster burst mode.
Better video mode is not that important to me, but I think Pentax needs to step up their game in that department, as well. The current digitally stabilized video mode is far from amazing.
I have also heard about problems with flash, TTL, PTTL and sync speeds.. I don't know much about that, but its another area where Pentax needs to update.
The cameras and lenses are great for my needs, though.
12-30-2016, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They need to put Ricoh on the back again...

12-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
An iphone camera now boasts f1.8 @ 5mm and in Pentax lineup we have DA 50/1.8 under $100. So there can be lenses manufactured and sold around $100 mark - that will drive consumption and popularity!
A smartphone lens? Have you seen it? (hint: it fits into a smartphone).
As for your assumption at the end - since we already have such cheap lenses, where is the consumption and popularity?
12-30-2016, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Adam and Steve!
Perhaps we should try to "get inside". Ricoh Imaging Products (Philippines) Corporation (RIMP) apply for a Programmer for their main factory in Lapu Lapu City, Philippines. PENTAX/ RICOH is located in MPEZ-1 (no 117-8 on the list) - in the northern end of the city.

Perhaps we should share the costs and send one of us to India, look for a programmer to apply for the job. As our representative! Then he/she could take care of our preferences. Make the menu exactly in the way we want it. New FW for K5, tethering, SW ... ...

Steve, then we could chat directly! Just read what they are looking for: ...."Develop and maintain applications by evaluating client needs... Identify requirements by establishing personal rapport with clients"........

Frankly speaking, this will make mutual benefits! Users of Pentax Forums, Ricoh Philippines and all other future owners!

Work Location. "Plant established in Sept 2011". In such case this building is home address for K5, K3, K1...

Free Parking and Uniform provided by the Company...!
With Pentax or Ricoh logo?

Last edited by Dabola; 12-30-2016 at 03:09 PM.