Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Canon Lens to Pentax Adapter/converter

Happy 2017
I know this has probably been discussed a few times.
Is there an adapter that will convert a Canon lens to Pentax K, if so can someone let me know where?

I have acquired a number of "nice" canon lenses and some for loan for a few months and I'd like to try them out.

12-31-2016, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No can do canon flange distance is shorter than Pentax k. Unless there is an adapter with a glass element?
12-31-2016, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrg9999 Quote
Happy 2017
Is there an adapter that will convert a Canon lens to Pentax K, if so can someone let me know where?

I have acquired a number of "nice" canon lenses and some for loan for a few months and I'd like to try them out.
There are two completely different Canon lens mounts modern EF-mount and the FD-mount that preceded it - you would need one matching whichever type of lens you have.
12-31-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

No. You can adapt Pentax k to canon, but not the other way around.

12-31-2016, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K mount has a registration distance of 45.46mm. Canon FD is 42mm and Canon EOS is 44mm. Because of the shorter registration distance, a Canon lens would have to extend back inside the body and it would stop the mirror from operating. The only other option (as stated above) is an adapter with a glass element. This would probably reduce image quality.

An alternative is to use a reversing mount which screws onto the filter threads. This would allow you to shoot macro.
12-31-2016, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Non-glassed or deglassed adapters can be used for macro even without reversing. You can't get infinity focus without a glass based adapter that acts like a teleconverter. Most are very low optical quality and not worth the effort.
01-01-2017, 03:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all who replied.
I have an MD adapter for pentax that works, but couldn't find an EOS to MD either. Looks like I'm either going to have to get an EOS to try these "lenses of a lifetime"

01-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

Oh the horror!
01-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

The EOS (EF) lenses have neither aperture rings nor levers so you couldn't set or stop down the lenses using an adapter. You can use an EOS body, set the aperture, stop down, and dismount the lens which leaves it at the set aperture. But then you'd have to have a Canon body so why bother?

There are (glassed) adapters for Canon FD (manual focus) lenses to K-mount. These will incur some loss of image quality but it up to the individual if the results are acceptable or not.
01-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The EOS (EF) lenses have neither aperture rings nor levers so you couldn't set or stop down the lenses using an adapter. You can use an EOS body, set the aperture, stop down, and dismount the lens which leaves it at the set aperture. But then you'd have to have a Canon body so why bother?

There are (glassed) adapters for Canon FD (manual focus) lenses to K-mount. These will incur some loss of image quality but it up to the individual if the results are acceptable or not.
M43 adapters that interface electronically exist. But no such adapter exists for Pentax.
01-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrg9999 Quote
Happy 2017

Yes there is. It is essentially a 1.4x teleconverter with optical elements that add magnification to correct the registry distance for infinity focus. They really bloom out and are soft when shooting wide open