Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #1

DSLR screen proctors

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi I was just wondering how many of you camera people out there use LCD screen protectors?
I used then ( Fotga) but was wondering if how many used them & type the plastic ( type used on say smart phones)or harden glass type
I also used the plastic type on the LCD screen on my flashes
Thanks

01-01-2017, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use screen protectors on all of my cameras (and my Windows 10 tablet). I've tried various types, but my favourite is the Vikuiti DQCT130 from 3M. It's a semi-rigid clear foil without any obvious adhesive backing. Cheap, quite easy to apply and very easy to remove without leaving any residue. Some people don't like them because they are somewhat reflective, and they do pick up smudges from skin oils. But they wipe clean easily with a cloth, tissue or the tail of your shirt - and best of all, they protect the screen very well indeed.
01-01-2017, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a custom screen protector on my K-1's screens, after causing a deep scratch on my K-30's LCD. Real glass, and it's stood us so far to scratches, but it has many more years of use to go, I suppose.
01-01-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the plastic sticky type on my K5 and K3ii. They are cheap and work perfectly. I've had no issues and they certainly save from minor abrasions. I usually replace then as soon as they start to dull.

01-01-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this brand on both my K10D and my K3. It also comes with a top lcd protector as well. Very happy with the product!

ACMAXX 2.5" Hard LCD Screen Armor PROTECTOR Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 K10 DSLR | eBay
01-01-2017, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I use this brand on both my K10D and my K3. It also comes with a top lcd protector as well. Very happy with the product!

ACMAXX 2.5" Hard LCD Screen Armor PROTECTOR Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 K10 DSLR | eBay
I must be copying csa I have have the same on my K 3 and K5 II
01-03-2017, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
As a hobbyist and a careful person I don't use any screen protector for the camera's LCD screen or for my iPhone. I haven't scratched or cracked the camera's LCD screen nor my iPhones.

I'm always anal about scratching, dropping or spilling stuff on electronic equipment so I stay alert... ��

01-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ejhc11 Quote
As a hobbyist and a careful person I don't use any screen protector for the camera's LCD screen or for my iPhone. I haven't scratched or cracked the camera's LCD screen nor my iPhones.

I'm always anal about scratching, dropping or spilling stuff on electronic equipment so I stay alert... ��
I'm also extremely careful with my equipment; however, things can happen & I prefer to go on the safe side & use these protectors.
01-04-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm also extremely careful with my equipment; however, things can happen & I prefer to go on the safe side & use these protectors.
Yep, me too, Carol. I'm very careful indeed - more than most people I know. But accidents happen. I dropped my tablet a few years ago and the flip jacket opened as it fell, landing screen down on the gravel. The screen protector was damaged, but the tablet survived unmarked
01-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yep, me too, Carol. I'm very careful indeed - more than most people I know. But accidents happen. I dropped my tablet a few years ago and the flip jacket opened as it fell, landing screen down on the gravel. The screen protector was damaged, but the tablet survived unmarked
personally I'm a believer in Murphy's Law:

anything that can go wrong will go wrong

and Finnegan's Corollary to it:

Murphy was an optimist

so I have the items (and yes, UV filters on the lenses - which is another issue for discussion on other threads)
01-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
personally I'm a believer in Murphy's Law:

anything that can go wrong will go wrong

and Finnegan's Corollary to it:

Murphy was an optimist

so I have the items (and yes, UV filters on the lenses - which is another issue for discussion on other threads)
With that philosophy, I'd just assume that anything I'd try to protect my lenses would be subverted, so why try at all?
01-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
As a hobbyist I have much more time to pack my stuff, and I don't have all the flashes, lenses packed tight into camera bags. I just usually sling my camera and hardly carry more than two lenses.

I can see pro photographers with the need for extra protection, my brother who is one has a lot of wear and accidents due to the high use. If I was doing something for money I definitely could use more protection.

And, hey I use a Pentax its pretty durable!
01-04-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I too have an ACMAX on my K-30 and put one on my daughter's K-50, they are a great product. I haven't bothered to put one on my K-70 yet as the folding screen protects it well when facing the body plus the thickness of the ACMAX might be an issue when closed.
01-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ejhc11 Quote
As a hobbyist I have much more time to pack my stuff, and I don't have all the flashes, lenses packed tight into camera bags. I just usually sling my camera and hardly carry more than two lenses.

I can see pro photographers with the need for extra protection, my brother who is one has a lot of wear and accidents due to the high use. If I was doing something for money I definitely could use more protection.

And, hey I use a Pentax its pretty durable!
Even packing a camera in a bag, etc., some of the plastic/metal on the strap could easily scratch the LCD. For what little they cost, I would never take the chance of marking up the LCD's. Pentax may be "pretty durable"; but an LCD screen may not be! I don't do photography for money, but I can't afford to have an LCD replaced; and also if selling, a pristine LCD tells others that the camera has been well taken care of. No matter how careful we are, something CAN always happen, when least expected. But again, each his own.
01-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
With that philosophy, I'd just assume that anything I'd try to protect my lenses would be subverted, so why try at all?
???possibly the cheapest accessory you can buy???