Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It sucks about the stolen gear, but what on God's green earth were you doing leaving firearms out in your car when it was parked at home? Even in a locked case, that's just wildly irresponsible and unnecessary.
Ohhh DC...True to Your Form......I just knew you would be along at some point with Your condolences ......lol.
Quite frankly DC....there isn't "WILDLY" Anything except for your Imagination , assumptions , and Excitement at my misfortune even though you have NO idea of the circumstances.

Now back in the BLOCKED list Box You go !

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm betting they thought it was full of tools. I also wonder if the transmitter in the box is blocked by the metal.
I'm sure hoping so. In my trial run of the GPS tracker....it WOULDNT work in the bathroom and WOULDNT work inside my van.
However it did work in the bag sitting inside the house of all things.....Keeping my fingers crossed.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
thank is unfortunate
I hope they catch them.
The police did take it quite serious and also got some good prints. However in spite of everything I do know who it is. Things can be handled a different way if needed.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Not the best way how to step into the new year. Hope the police guys will do their job right and your photo stuff will get back to you in OK condition.
That's what I was thinking. I DO have more than 1 K-1 , and also have a K-3ii here with me so I'm not cameraless by any means.
The two firearms is whats got me upset the most and also my brand new DFA 24-70 that was still in the box.
Little did I know that my innocent and innocuous conversation about an extra key hidden on my frame would do me in....ANGRY.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Wow, glad you have the ability to track it!
Yes.....I bought the GPS tracker along with a two year subscription for service as a device I sometimes use in the freelance Insurance fraud investigations that I do occasionally for a couple companies in AZ. It wasn't planned as a camera tracker , but is in my bag of gear to use as needed in my work....Kinda got lucky in a way that it was just charged and in the bag.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Well that just blows. Hopefully you'll be getting the last laugh on their sorry asses.
Quite frankly....I believe I will ! It makes me sad though that my Lady companions Grandaughter was involved.....Very Distressing !!

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Well that sucks in a major way. It is amazing how fast they can do something like that. Bolt cutters and pry bars can make things go very quick. i would bet they had no idea what they were getting until they were well away from your place. Going forward, as a former LEO, I would advise never leave firearms in a vehicle for very long unless there was no other choice, you can't use them if you don't have them and now they probably have already sold them assuming big city. I certainly wish you well and hope you get your gear back,
and they go away for a long time.
Without going into a lot of details.....I work part time at our local Shooting Range "Pro Bono"......I know lots of Cops here and the two firearms definitely changed the ballgame on this one !

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Sorry to hear about it. I hope you recover all your gear. It sucks to be violated like this but I am glad you took all the defensive measures. Up to this point I had not given it thought but your ordeal has me thinking. I did lose my beloved Pentax MX years ago (car theft). As a result, I never leave camera or other valuables in my car. But in your case this happened in front of your own house. What if one is traveling and they have no choice but leaving valuables in the car.

Please keep us posted.
My full size Cargo Van is very secure. What they didn't know was there was $3600 in a solid steel Tube Safe welded directly through to my rear Frame as I am all packed up to go on a Photo trip tuesday.....Ignorant Morons.....lol.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-03-2017 at 02:27 AM.
01-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
really hope you get some recovery on this. I actually use one of those boxes for storing ammo (in the house), and you're right, that was a pretty determined effort. You reinforce me going through the effort of storing my camera equipment in my Sturdy safe when I leave the house. Still have the brass?... I also reload, so appreciate that too.
I actually couldnt believe it ! Large pry Bars used and my choice of only 1/4" bolts was my only mistake. They pulled the bolts right through the steel floor on three of them , and broke one off. That's a lot of strength used.
THINGS will be beefier the next time !
I also use the Large RIGID Contractors box inside the house as my Gun Safe.... with Lag Bolts all the way through the foundation....its NOT going anywhere.
As far as the Brass goes..... I'm a Brass-A-Holic and that's in addition to my LBA.....LOL
I work at the Range (gatekeeper) and shoot and reload every Day. If You need any Brass...PM me and I can give You a very Sweet Deal.......really.
Pentax and Photography aren't my ONLY bad habits.....lol

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I do not intend to make fun of your distressing situation, however:

Paradoxically, sometimes best way to look after your valuables is to make them appear as common and unimportant as possible.

One of my flute teachers had her office broken into, I had my platinum flute in that office: the thieves took her gold flutes, passed my solid platinum flute because it looks like an ordinary, common silver flute. Even though it was easily worth four times as much as both the gold flutes they stole. My teachers instruments were recovered* due to their serial numbers being recorded.

* they were found in a pawn shop, on sale for not even a 1/32 of their true worth..seriously, I have no idea why pawn shops are even legal in this day and age.
Shhhhh.....Don't tell everyone....lol
I know what You mean.
My mistake was mentioning my spare key on the frame around the WRONG company.....Little did I know such a innocent conversation was taken notice of by a looser and thief.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The camera being stolen is one thing but the theft of the firearm is a big felony. Your case will get bumped up to the top of the list for that alone.
It DID ! The police have been excellent when they heard "Guns"....and...."GPS" and Phone tracker. Quite frankly they were on it Right Now !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-01-2017 at 08:52 PM.
01-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to hear that someone you know is involved. That always makes things much harder.
I hope they'll get these guys sooner rather than later.
01-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sorry to hear that someone you know is involved. That always makes things much harder.
I hope they'll get these guys sooner rather than later.
Exactly Right...... I cant sleep tonight at all.......keep checking the GPS service every 5-10 minutes.......Something has to happen soon I would think ???
My lady friend and her Son feel Horrible.........so do I.
I'm sure that the little thief has been contacted now by his Ex on the phone or Text as she is out of jail and not even charged with anything at all ??? ...YET.
GETTING EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.
01-01-2017, 09:18 PM - 5 Likes   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
My full size Cargo Van is very secure. What they didn't know was there was $3600 in a solid steel Tube Safe welded directly to my rear Frame as I am all packed up to go on a Photo trip tuesday.....Ignorant Morons.....lol.
Probably isn't the best to "advertise" this on the internet; where anyone can read it. Keep mum about your safes, etc. You never know who can be reading this info this very minute.
01-01-2017, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It sucks about the stolen gear, but what on God's green earth were you doing leaving firearms out in your car when it was parked at home? Even in a locked case, that's just wildly irresponsible and unnecessary.
I normally carry mine where ever I go but sometimes you can't help it. You have to leave it in the car. Nothing irresponsible about it at all. But if I am at home I will take in with me. I don't leave it outside overnight. That's just me.
01-01-2017, 10:37 PM - 5 Likes   #37
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Probably isn't the best to "advertise" this on the internet; where anyone can read it. Keep mum about your safes, etc. You never know who can be reading this info this very minute.
Absolutely. Looking at the number of people currently viewing the forums here vs the number of active users, it is clear there are TONS of lurkers. Which makes it all the more reasons not to share expensive lists of camera equipment in the signature field of every single post as well as use real name and location (usually in EXIF data as the copyright holder). And please disable GPS on phone and camera when sharing photos with the world. You're almost inviting people to kick in your door and take your stuff.

I see GPS data on quite a bit of the photos taken with phones in the Marketplace posts. People are selling their camera gear to fund different camera gear, so the only other photo gear they currently have is their phone... which has GPS enabled and they are taking these photos from home.

I think many people share so much private information unknowingly, and I find it alarming!!
01-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Honestly....I'm not real concerned but thanks. I built my steel Tube safe to be nearly impossible to break into short of a Cutting Torch or C-4.....It DID survive last night ....unscathed.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Absolutely. Looking at the number of people currently viewing the forums here vs the number of active users, it is clear there are TONS of lurkers. Which makes it all the more reasons not to share expensive lists of camera equipment in the signature field of every single post as well as use real name and location (usually in EXIF data as the copyright holder). And please disable GPS on phone and camera when sharing photos with the world. You're almost inviting people to kick in your door and take your stuff.

I see GPS data on quite a bit of the photos taken with phones in the Marketplace posts. People are selling their camera gear to fund different camera gear, so the only other photo gear they currently have is their phone... which has GPS enabled and they are taking these photos from home.

I think many people share so much private information unknowingly, and I find it alarming!!
This is one reason (but not the only reason)I post no Images here. But I'm not one to worry much about all the endless possibilities of the wicked either.
I wish someone had kicked my door in.....I wouldnt be looking for my possessions right now , but instead would be scrubbing their remains off my walls !
I take my personal security very seriously....Static IP address , stealth behind two private servers , and no longer have Facebook , Twitter , any social media , or even PayPal.......all that info is easily obtained.
In fact if I give You my Real name and age here on the forum.....I guarantee that I will not be easily found by any of the normal rescources !
Its hard to Kick in the door of a PO Box !
And a Google Voice number is the Bees Knees !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 08:15 AM.
01-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #39
Forum Member

Dlanor, you've probably thought of this already, but in addition to those bolts holding the box to the floor, you need some steel plates below the floor of the van and also inside the cargo box. That will prevent the bolts from being pulled through the sheet metal floor of the van. Perhaps something like 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick with a hole to accommodate the bolts, together with Grade 8 bolts and nuts. The bigger the steel plates the better. Glad to hear that the police are proceeding swiftly on you case.
01-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Dlanor, you've probably thought of this already, but in addition to those bolts holding the box to the floor, you need some steel plates below the floor of the van and also inside the cargo box. That will prevent the bolts from being pulled through the sheet metal floor of the van. Perhaps something like 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick with a hole to accommodate the bolts, together with Grade 8 bolts and nuts. The bigger the steel plates the better. Glad to hear that the police are proceeding swiftly on you case.
Exactly ! I just bought a replacement box yesterday and will hit the metals Yard this morning as soon as they open. Going with 1/2" grade 8 bolts and 2 plates of 3/16"steel on each side that are 4" x 24".

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 10:52 PM ----------

***** UPDATE******
As of 5 minutes ago....Absolutely NOTHING NEW.....NO GPS Hits at al......Loosing Hope quickly at this point.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 08:06 AM.
01-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I wish I had saved the link, but I read an article a few months ago about safes and some of the downsides of having them. The article presented data from reported break-ins over some time period and gave some insight into how these career criminals operate. Some key points I remember:

- A safe (or strongbox) is almost always a target for thieves; they know something good is inside.

- Homes that are known to have a safe are prime targets; Along those lines, keep your mouth shut about what you have in the house ("loose lips sink ships")

- If they have time, they will attack the safe right on site to try and get it open. Most safes can be defeated with commonly available tools.

- If they don't have time, or they don't have experience with a particular safe, they will just rip it out of the floor or wall and haul it away. Bolts do not stop them. They will absolutely destroy your property in the process of getting it out.

- If you have children in the house they will use that against you during a break-in. Children are leverage and they know that you will open the safe in order to spare them.
01-02-2017, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a safe in my house full of junk food and medicines. Not meds worth money mind you. I would laugh at the poor criminals that carted that safe away.
01-02-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #43
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Originally posted by csa Quote Probably isn't the best to "advertise" this on the internet; where anyone can read it. Keep mum about your safes, etc. You never know who can be reading this info this very minute."

" Honestly....I'm not real concerned but thanks. I built my steel Tube safe to be nearly impossible to break into short of a Cutting Torch or C-4.....It DID survive last night ....unscathed.
I was just making a suggestion; perhaps next time the entire van will be stolen, and they will have a cutting torch. Since this was partially an "inside" job, it's a possibility that someone in that group is aware that you post here. Just saying!

I'm far from being paranoid, however; I do not take chances with leaving anything in my vehicles. I can always cart items to & from the house.
01-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a safe in my house full of junk food and medicines. Not meds worth money mind you. I would laugh at the poor criminals that carted that safe away.
Why bother keeping those locked up if they're worthless and replaceable?
01-02-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Why bother keeping those locked up if they're worthless and replaceable?
Kids.
Closed Thread