Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 235 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Exactly ! I just bought a replacement box yesterday and will hit the metals Yard this morning as soon as they open. Going with 1/2" grade 8 bolts and 2 plates of 3/16"steel on each side that are 4" x 24".

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 10:52 PM ----------

***** UPDATE******
As of 5 minutes ago....Absolutely NOTHING NEW.....NO GPS Hits at al......Loosing Hope quickly at this point.
Dianor, don't give up hope. The thief may not want to open the chest or move it for fear he will be caught by the police, give the guns and ammo. He's likely just be sitting on it for now, knowing the police are on to him. It may be some time before the culprit is arrested. I say that because he will most likely make a mistake, which will be his downfall, along with stealing your goods. The police certainly don't want those guns on the street.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 01-02-2017 at 08:45 AM.
01-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I normally carry mine where ever I go but sometimes you can't help it. You have to leave it in the car. Nothing irresponsible about it at all. But if I am at home I will take in with me. I don't leave it outside overnight. That's just me.
well that makes more sense, your first post left me/us the impression you were home and left the guns in the car. I know I was being more PC than I wanted to be but felt you didn't need a bunch of sh__ thrown at you considering what happened.
I agree when you are at someone else's house you may have to do things differently even if you don't like it.

good luck
01-02-2017, 09:10 AM - 4 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Making your property and person safe(r) costs money. While some crimes against non-commercial property are random, most are crimes of opportunity, not planned by inside persons like this one. Remove the opportunity - they'll look elsewhere for easier targets. Or they won't even look.

Don't leave a spare key outside. I know - a Locksmith is expensive, but . . .

Most things in safes could be kept in a safety deposit box. Many other items like camera collections are just as safe in simple drawers assuming home entry is protected. You won't defeat a determined thief, but you can delay opportunists and common amateurs (teens, amateur burglars looking for things they can sell for drug money).

A monitored, hard-wired alarm / surveillance system (and smoke, fire, CO) with internal and external siren helps deter opportunists and delay more determined thieves. Use a 'babysitter code' you can turn off.

Fancy cars, fancy clothes, jewelry and watches and other displays of wealth are attractors. Using known, local contractors with their own full-time employees rather than buying at a Box store and accepting a referred installer helps. It costs more, but it's safer. Keep friends close and enemies closer (i.e. know who comes in your house and who their friends are, in particular babysitters). Don't share personal information with situational acquaintances (gym buddies, sport club members, school parents and the like) that you don't know personally outside the situation.

Garaged cars are safer than street cars - I know, houses with 2-car garages are expensive - but most people park on the street or driveway. Personally, I don't leave things in my car on the street, especially change visible in cup holders.

If you plan to use a gun to defend your life and property you need to recognize threat or no threat and put two rounds in the upper left thorax (not one - if you only wound him he will sue your personal estate and win), in one second, in the dark, while you aren't fully awake. If you aren't willing and able to clean kill an intruder, don't buy the gun. He'll take it away and use it on you. If you aren't willing to run 1000 rounds a month to stay practiced don't buy the gun. You'll end up in jail yourself.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.
01-02-2017, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CSA....I LIVE in my Van for 3-6+ months a year pursuing my Photography Interests/Work at locations across the USA , Mexico , and Canada.
Short of a Tow truck there is absolutely NO way for someone to steal my entire Van....I made that completely Impossible several years ago but will not go into details here.
I DO appreciate the suggestions , but it must also be realized this ISNT a regular commuter vehicle......its a BIG , Lifted , Monster , of a Camping Van that stays Packed and ready to GO at a moments notice for Work and Play !
Its my Home on Wheels......have spent over 1300+ nights in it since new in 2003.

---------- Post added 01-03-17 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Making your property and person safe(r) costs money. While some crimes against non-commercial property are random, most are crimes of opportunity, not planned by inside persons like this one. Remove the opportunity - they'll look elsewhere....SNIPPED........
If you plan to use a gun to defend your life and property you need to recognize threat or no threat and put two rounds in the upper left thorax (not one - if you only wound him he will sue your personal estate and win), in one second, in the dark, while you aren't fully awake. If you aren't willing to run 1000 rounds a month to stay practiced don't buy the gun.
Exactly ! Practice ....Practice....Practice.
And then when you think that you have it all down pretty good.....Practice some more !
I also recommend that anyone serious about self defense take a few really good courses from a educated and experienced Firearms instructor.
Too many feel that the purchase of a firearm for self defense is the end all solution for their security. In reality the purchase is just the very beginning of a dedicated commitment.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 09:28 AM.
01-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your situation is really tough.
01-02-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
well that makes more sense, your first post left me/us the impression you were home and left the guns in the car. I know I was being more PC than I wanted to be but felt you didn't need a bunch of sh__ thrown at you considering what happened.
I agree when you are at someone else's house you may have to do things differently even if you don't like it.

good luck
I get you. No worries man. I am not however the Original Poster I just responded to a random comment on the thread.

For sure though, the theft of a camera and---well---anything is devastating. It makes one feel violated so that's the main thing. Let's hope the police can do their thing and get his stuff back.

Thieves are horrible.
01-02-2017, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

...Little did I know that my innocent and innocuous conversation about an extra key hidden on my frame would do me in....ANGRY....
Don't beat yourself up about that part. They stole your box with crowbars and weren't using finesse. If they didn't find the key you would be replacing a door or window, in addition to the stolen box.

Good luck recovering your stuff.

01-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Dianor, don't give up hope. The thief may not want to open the chest or move it for fear he will be caught by the police, give the guns and ammo. He's likely just be sitting on it for now, knowing the police are on to him. It may be some time before the culprit is arrested. I say that because he will most likely make a mistake, which will be his downfall, along with stealing your goods. The police certainly don't want those guns on the street.
I haven't given up Hope Yet.....but last night I got to thinking rather than stay stressed over it ..... I'm just moving on.

My Freedom Arms 454 Casull Revolver is the hardest loss for me as my Mom bought it for me before she passed away.....it IS Irreplaceable......bought it new in 2004 and it has spent its entire life in my Van for when I'm in the mountains and Bears are around , or fishing in AK for salmon..... or hunting Elk.........Gives me a Comfy Feeling while I sleep with my doors open at night......lol.
The only time it wasn't in my Van was when I have gone to Mexcio ......and then I remove ALL firearms of course.

Last night I placed a new K-1 and a DFA 28-105 lens in my cart for checkout.......just cant quite hit the Pay button ....... Not quite yet.
Am Far from being Cameraless by any means....I still have my other K-1 and K3ii......Ive been Very Blesses within the last Year from my insurance freelance work with a couple really nice checks to make it all happen.

I leave in the morning for a long Photo trip to Florida......was going to hold off for a while , but then decided to keep my original agenda........... .I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best that the Police and GPS Pays off....Soon !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-02-2017 at 10:02 AM.
01-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #54
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Freedom Arms 454 Casull Revolver is the hardest loss for me
I would say that the chances of getting your revolver back are pretty good; as the thieves will want to pawn it for money. Also since your tracking device told the police where they were; it's possible that they will be caught with it still in their possession. Authorities may not contact you immediately, until they have confirmed all details. So stay positive that at least the revolver will make it's way back to you!
01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Don't beat yourself up about that part. They stole your box with crowbars and weren't using finesse. If they didn't find the key you would be replacing a door or window, in addition to the stolen box.

Good luck recovering your stuff.
I'm not beating myself up at all.....I did the best of my ability to keep things safe and secure , much more than most would have done I think.
I'm still holding out high Hopes on the GPS......that is my only Salvation at this point.
Keeping my original plans to leave for Florida a day late on Wednesday.

---------- Post added 01-03-17 at 01:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I would say that the chances of getting your revolver back are pretty good; as the thieves will want to pawn it for money. Also since your tracking device told the police where they were; it's possible that they will be caught with it still in their possession. Authorities may not contact you immediately, until they have confirmed all details. So stay positive that at least the revolver will make it's way back to you!
Ive already turned the serial number over to them.
NO.....the GPS tracker in the Camera bag has NOT provided any info yet ! It was the Android Phone APP on my stolen phone that was in my console that gave a GPS location for the phone that turned out to be in possession of my companions Granddaughter. She was the one that gave Info to her EX on my Van and hidden key.....They are looking for her Ex Boyfriend.....he's the Thief !.......yet they ALL were involved.
I plan on posting his name on here , but the Police asked me NOT to until this is resolved.
01-02-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I get you. No worries man. I am not however the Original Poster I just responded to a random comment on the thread.

For sure though, the theft of a camera and---well---anything is devastating. It makes one feel violated so that's the main thing. Let's hope the police can do their thing and get his stuff back.

Thieves are horrible.
I know you are not the OP I clicked the wrong post. Never meant for you, sorry for the mix up.
01-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not beating myself up at all.....I did the best of my ability to keep things safe and secure , much more than most would have done I think.
I'm still holding out high Hopes on the GPS......that is my only Salvation at this point.
Keeping my original plans to leave for Florida a day late on Wednesday.

---------- Post added 01-03-17 at 01:18 AM ----------

Ive already turned the serial number over to them.
NO.....the GPS tracker in the Camera bag has NOT provided any info yet ! It was the Android Phone APP on my stolen phone that was in my console that gave a GPS location for the phone that turned out to be in possession of my companions Granddaughter. She was the one that gave Info to her EX on my Van and hidden key.....They are looking for her Ex Boyfriend.....he's the Thief !.......yet they ALL were involved.
I plan on posting his name on here , but the Police asked me NOT to until this is resolved.
Did not mean to further upset you, I was just trying to be helpful; I'll bow out, with hopes things will be settled in your favor!
01-02-2017, 10:39 AM - 5 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DO NOT post his name anywhere on social media, it can only come back to haunt you. The thief has caused you enough problems, don't risk any more upset.
01-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Did not mean to further upset you, I was just trying to be helpful; I'll bow out, with hopes things will be settled in your favor!
CSA....No need to Bow Out......I know its a confusing situation in the first place. Thanks for the concern.
I'm not in the best of moods after hardly sleeping last night and woke with a blinding headache......sorry if I came across irritated.

---------- Post added 01-03-17 at 01:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
DO NOT post his name anywhere on social media, it can only come back to haunt you. The thief has caused you enough problems, don't risk any more upset.
That's what they said.....one simple Google/Yahoo search.......and I may never get anything back.
01-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what they said.....one simple Google/Yahoo search.......and I may never get anything back.
Don't do it now, don't do it after this is resolved. Just don't do it, it's not worth it.
Closed Thread