Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 235 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 03:24 PM - 4 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

To those complaining about traveling into Canada ... consider how US Customs and TSA treat those traveling to/within the US.

01-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Received a call today. I go to get all my stuff back on Monday !
Wow great news. Congratulation. Happy for a fellow Pentaxian having such luck
01-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #183
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad news about your gear and guns.

Great news that you should be getting it all back, hopefully none the worse for wear.

Little did I know that my innocent and innocuous conversation about an extra key hidden on my frame would do me in....
Some things should be kept completely secret. No one but me needs to know where I keep my spare key for the car or house.

Quite frankly....I believe I will ! It makes me sad though that my Lady companions Grandaughter was involved.....Very Distressing !!
Most times it is someone you know when these things happen.
01-11-2017, 06:09 PM - 4 Likes   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

No one but me needs to know where I keep my spare key for the car or house.
You must be youngish..... sometimes it's hard enough just remembering where I live these days*..... I've just come to terms with my spare set of car keys being lost, after placing them somewhere safe 7 years ago (I think)... I can only take solace in that I placed them somewhere AWESOME.

* I did pull up in my old house drive a few years ago ... on auto pilot coming home from work.... dinner cooking smelt nice... was somewhat conflicted for a moment (we hadn't move far)...anyway, they were unlikely to believe I came with the house.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-11-2017 at 06:17 PM.
01-11-2017, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #185
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You must be youngish......

Racer isn't older than dirt, but he and I can both remember when the patent on it was still active.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-11-2017 at 08:35 PM.
01-11-2017, 11:15 PM - 2 Likes   #186
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was about 13 or 14 my folks bough a hobby farm. 3 1/2 acres or so, just outside of town enough that I had to ride the bus to school, and it was too far to ride my bike to town and hang out with friends.

My parents never took the key out of the pickup or the car, and our house was never locked.

No one ever came snooping around.

Nothing was ever stolen.

I live even farther out of town now than we did wy back then. Although I have forgotten once or twice, I usually lock up tight at night, and when I am away from the place. Locks are for honest people. It keeps them honest.
01-11-2017, 11:46 PM - 3 Likes   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
when ever politicians want to increase penalties for crimes committed, primarily mandatory imprisonment, I have only 1 question:

"do you support raising taxes to pay for increased cells, guards, prosecutors, public defenders and judges????"

there is no "free lunch". Imprisoning someone may be necessary for the public safety but it is not cheap.
I say no prison for relatively minor offenses. Public flogging will do just fine. In a couple hours we're all done and it's pretty cheap in the big picture.

01-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #188
Pentaxian

Yes....Tell me about it ! I just found out about 5 minutes ago. I can pick up everything late next week at the earliest , except the firearms.
You don't get a response like this from the cops for theft of a camera. You do get this kind of response for theft of firearms. FELONY. BIG TIME. And they don't mess around in that area considering all the cartel activity.

The downside is you will not get your guns back until his case is tried, or he pleads out or whatever. It could be months or even a year. Maybe longer.

A friend had his AK stolen and it took him a long time to get it back. But he got it back eventually.
01-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #189
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I say no prison for relatively minor offenses. Public flogging will do just fine. In a couple hours we're all done and it's pretty cheap in the big picture.
01-12-2017, 03:04 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No one but me needs to know where I keep my spare key for the car or house.
Not even Bob's wife!

Last edited by p38arover; 01-12-2017 at 03:09 AM.
01-12-2017, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #191
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
You don't get a response like this from the cops for theft of a camera. You do get this kind of response for theft of firearms. FELONY. BIG TIME. And they don't mess around in that area considering all the cartel activity.

The downside is you will not get your guns back until his case is tried, or he pleads out or whatever. It could be months or even a year. Maybe longer.

A friend had his AK stolen and it took him a long time to get it back. But he got it back eventually.
Actually....IF firearms weren't involved all this would have most likely gone NOWHERE in spite of having a GPS location.
Trust me on this....They have much more pressing things to do than Chase down a Camera theft no matter how expensive it is.
El Paso is an extremely crime ridden city. As it was , it took over 4 hours for them to respond , and this was considered rather Low Priority !
That's exactly what I was told over the phone by an Officer.
It may be a sad state of affairs......just the way it is.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
well i didn't say it, and the reason customs ask is because idiots do bring them in without checking, and i doubt a customs officer cared much about tourist dollars to be honest, certainly I've never found one anywhere in the world who seemed concerned with that. . Read my post again mike i was pointing out the difference and why he may have made the post (certainly many of us would actually have stricter control than we do) in any case this is perilously close to P&R and i don't want to make my old pal parralax have to cite me . I won't comment on the civilized aspect because i think that all countries have people who are and aren't. oh if you want to bring them get the forms like the OP does fill themn ourt provide the background checks or whatever is required and bring them with you. mostly i think it's people up to hunt who bother but i'm sure some pistols shooters as well (LE for instance)
You heard it here First......Americans are notoriously Stupid when taking firearms into/across Canada.
When they aren't Declared properly they are seized and Destroyed. You do NOT get them back !
Now as far as Crossing the Canadian Border.....They are ALL Business and aren't Friendly at all and for the most part they are Jerks. They can make your life really miserable for a few hours if they want to .

Crossing into the USA....is actually a Joke !!! Between Canada , Mexico , and the USA......Its obvious the Canadians actually CARE about who come's into their country , and what they bring. They scrutinize everything , play by all the Laws and Rules , and use extreme Vetting when needed. To me its quite intimidating at times.

Crossing into the USA and Mexico.......they Just Don't Care ! Its a Complete Joke !
I say this from experience.....about 40 trips to Mexico.....10 trips to Canada.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-12-2017 at 06:11 AM.
01-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #192
Pentaxian

They are ALL Business and aren't Friendly at all and for the most part they are Jerks.
I used to live in Boston and my brother and I went to the Montreal Jazz Festival every year around 4th of July time. It was a blast. Jazz a hassle free beer drinking at night and a little bit of golf by day. Until one year, for no reason they decided to tear my car apart and give us hell. Mind you these were before passport days. I have not been back since that day. And that was good 15 years ago. We used to go up there and drop a few bucks of business for them. No more. I don't know if it is our loss or theirs.

Travel in general is not what it used to be when it comes to flying and god forbid border crossing. I dread going to the airport with my camera bag these days. I have missed flights because they tore up my bag to find that one two-inch nail clipper I forgot that was at the bottom of one of the pockets!
01-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Actually....IF firearms weren't involved all this would have most likely gone NOWHERE in spite of having a GPS location.
Trust me on this....They have much more pressing things to do than Chase down a Camera theft no matter how expensive it is.
El Paso is an extremely crime ridden city. As it was , it took over 4 hours for them to respond , and this was considered rather Low Priority !

You heard it here First......Americans are notoriously Stupid when taking firearms into/across Canada.
When they aren't Declared properly they are seized and Destroyed. You do NOT get them back !
Now as far as Crossing the Canadian Border.....They are ALL Business and aren't Friendly at all and for the most part they are Jerks. They can make your life really miserable for a few hours if they want to .

Crossing into the USA....is actually a Joke !!! Between Canada , Mexico , and the USA......Its obvious the Canadians actually CARE about who come's into their country , and what they bring. They scrutinize everything , play by all the Laws and Rules , and use extreme Vetting when needed. To me its quite intimidating at times.

Crossing into the USA and Mexico.......they Just Don't Care ! Its a Complete Joke !

Ha but we are the source of all the terrorists flooding across the border or so we are constantly told by media with an agenda funnily enough the only border i have ever had issue with was the US , they blocked me years ago over a warrant for an unpaid drinking in public ticket (beer on the beach) when i was young. had to run around and find a way to clear it so i could catch my non refundable flight. And i did get the endless vetting trying to make sure i'm not going to just stay and work under the table (NYC was full of many Canadians in the 80s and 90s working at the clubs, almost all i know are back here now. European Customs are generally very efficient and all business but being a middle aged white guy with a middle aged white wife in tow i'm guessing i'm low priority to pull aside now days - as for ours all being jerks, even to people with Canadian passports returning home they can be dicks, i learned a long time ago be honest about the excess booze you have don't bring too much excess (my wife and i would maybe bring 10 bottles mostly wine between us 2 each tops is the allocation allowed, but it isn't worth the time to do the paer on 6 extra when it's busy so they pass you through. they's rather pull a fool with 2 extra who didn't declare and strip his luggage right down questioning everything way more profitable
01-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #194
Veteran Member

********UPDATE*********

*******BUSTED*********

I just received a phone call from a dispatcher in El Paso TX. @ 7:30 this morning ..... and was notified that my Rigid Box and contents were located and recovered at 6AM from a Motel room.
2 People were arrested when they returned from eating at a Local Dennys to the motel room ....... 1 has been held and is pendig multiple charges....The other person was released.....I was not given names.
All she could tell me about the contents recovered was Camera gear and firearms were recovered.....YES !!!!!!
I'm waiting for an officer to contact me at some point today with more specific information regarding serial numbers and pertinent information.
I didn't think they were going to recover anything at the rate things were going...... it took over 4 hours before they sent officers to the location .

Very Happy with my little GPS......Very Tired.
It must be a relief that the guns weren't used in the commission of a crime
01-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #195
Veteran Member

YAY!!! Our border guards are doing their job! As a nation, we don't want handguns being brought into Canada.
On another note, as a Canadian who crosses the US border a few times per year, I rarely get hassled, perhaps because I have a Nexus Pass which meant I submitted to an FBI check, fingerprinted and iris scanned. One of my kids used to travel to the US for meditation retreats, mainly in SoCal, and was almost always dragged in for "questioning". I guess some guards are nervous shaven head, peace loving Buddhists.
Closed Thread