Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I used to live in Boston and my brother and I went to the Montreal Jazz Festival every year around 4th of July time. It was a blast. Jazz a hassle free beer drinking at night and a little bit of golf by day. Until one year, for no reason they decided to tear my car apart and give us hell. Mind you these were before passport days. I have not been back since that day. And that was good 15 years ago. We used to go up there and drop a few bucks of business for them. No more. I don't know if it is our loss or theirs.

Travel in general is not what it used to be when it comes to flying and god forbid border crossing. I dread going to the airport with my camera bag these days. I have missed flights because they tore up my bag to find that one two-inch nail clipper I forgot that was at the bottom of one of the pockets!
i fluy yearly to europe and it's really no harder than flying within canada, (or I imagine the US i haven't flown there in a long time) but it is way harder than it used to be. pre 911 i would arrive 90 minutes early for european flights, and 60 minutes or less for north america, now I allow 3 hours when leaving toronto or coming back (except for early morning flights back from smaller airports like Victoria where 90 minutes is more than enough (the 6 am direct flight back to toronto i imagine i could walk in at 530 if i wan't checking a bag) - 5 am is early enough

01-12-2017, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #197
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
YAY!!! Our border guards are doing their job! As a nation, we don't want handguns being brought into Canada.
As a Nation ?....Are You Sure of that ? Because I can bring ANY Handgun into Canada per Canadian Law that has a Barrel length of 4.2 inches or more........ Revolver or Pistol.....never had a problem.
One thing that Canada and the US has in common.....We ALL.....Love our Guns !
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Actually....IF firearms weren't involved all this would have most likely gone NOWHERE in spite of having a GPS location.
Trust me on this....They have much more pressing things to do than Chase down a Camera theft no matter how expensive it is.
El Paso is an extremely crime ridden city. As it was , it took over 4 hours for them to respond , and this was considered rather Low Priority !
That's exactly what I was told over the phone by an Officer.
It may be a sad state of affairs......just the way it is.

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 09:06 PM ----------

You heard it here First......Americans are notoriously Stupid when taking firearms into/across Canada.
When they aren't Declared properly they are seized and Destroyed. You do NOT get them back !
Now as far as Crossing the Canadian Border.....They are ALL Business and aren't Friendly at all and for the most part they are Jerks. They can make your life really miserable for a few hours if they want to .

Crossing into the USA....is actually a Joke !!! Between Canada , Mexico , and the USA......Its obvious the Canadians actually CARE about who come's into their country , and what they bring. They scrutinize everything , play by all the Laws and Rules , and use extreme Vetting when needed. To me its quite intimidating at times.

Crossing into the USA and Mexico.......they Just Don't Care ! Its a Complete Joke !
I say this from experience.....about 40 trips to Mexico.....10 trips to Canada.
In the mid 80s two of us were crossing the border from Dawson City Yukon to Chicken Alaska in a 1972 chev pick up truck loaded to the gunwales with camping gear, plant samples and microclimate logging equipment. They asked us if we had any firearms and we told them that we had a shotgun (we spent two months on the side of a mountain in bear country) and then they asked us if we had any dogs with us. The customs officer circled the truck three times, each time asking us if we were sure that we did not have any dogs with us, which we did not before she let us through. The only place for a dog would have been in one of the cardboard boxes in the back or the glove compartment.

Coming back through customs in Canada is always easier than entering the USA except for the time my whole vehicle was searched most likely because I was a random number. So perhaps your experience crossing the borders is different as an American it is easier for you to return your own country than enter ours and for us easier to return to Canada than enter the USA. The best time was entering the US with a pile of camera gear and then got a lot of questions about what we were going to do with it until I told them it was mostly film gear in which he became real friendly and gave me advise on some places to go but this is on one of the small crossings where they do not even let you use their bathroom and the last one in Canada was an hour past and the next one in Montana is almost an hour ahead.

Glad you got your gear back. I was in El Paso almost a decade ago and some of the houses were better protected than is the army base I work on and the neighbouring house may not even have a fence and kids toys and bikes all across the lawn but the entire blocks were like that, a mixture of heavy protected doors or yards and others totally what I would think of as normal.
01-12-2017, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #199
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - whilst not politics per se, all this talk of different countries' gun rights and customs / border protection activities is bound to go in the wrong direction Please, let's avoid that and stay on-topic.

Thank you!

01-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #200
Forum Member

I'm suprised it stayed civil. I know on my sportscar forum it would have devolved in 2 seconds flat.
01-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fumanchu1 Quote
I'm suprised it stayed civil. I know on my sportscar forum it would have devolved in 2 seconds flat.
I would kinda like this thread to make it to Tuesday after I go get my things in El Paso and can Post here after I see what the outcome actually is.
Then if it deteriorates into a Pile of Gunk....well.....then so it goes.

At this point all I can constructively say is...."GPS ROCKS" !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.
01-12-2017, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #202
Veteran Member

It stayed civil his long because despite our differences we are all reasonable here for community and photography. That and many of the worst p&r people from when we had that section have ended banned it seems , oh well looking forward to the final outcome here

01-12-2017, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #203
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would kinda like this thread to make it to Tuesday after I go get my things in El Paso and can Post here after I see what the outcome actually is.
If it should end up closed, just send one of us a PM or use the Contact Moderator feature when you get back and we'll reopen it so you can post the update.
01-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #204
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Sportscar forum?
01-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i fluy yearly to europe and it's really no harder than flying within canada, (or I imagine the US i haven't flown there in a long time) but it is way harder than it used to be.
I think most people on this forum find flying much more difficult then in the past..... so many more lenses to have to decide between taking.... then do you take the K-1 or go lightish with the K3...

A quirky almost fact.... when travelling across a border in Australia your 1000x more likely to get fined for having an orange or tomato with you then a gun.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-12-2017 at 04:04 PM.
01-12-2017, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think most people on this forum find flying much more difficult then in the past..... so many more lenses to have to decide between taking.... then do you take the K-1 or go lightish with the K3...

A quirky almost fact.... when travelling across a border in Australia your 1000x more likely to get fined for having an orange or tomato with you then a gun.
Mortadella!
01-12-2017, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #207
Veteran Member

Original Poster

One time while driving back into the USA from a short trip across the (undisclosed) border....I had an Agent at an (undisclosed) border crossing more interested in the contents of my Ice Chest than anything else ! In the end they seized a sealed unopened package of Bacon that was actually bought in the USA and not used.
I had a gentleman come out of the secondary inspection area in a Hazmat suit and gloves to sieze it...!
No....I'm NOT Kidding.

PS.....Someone call 911....Parrallax just had a heart attack upon hearing this Unpardonable Action taken against Bacon !.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 07:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If it should end up closed, just send one of us a PM or use the Contact Moderator feature when you get back and we'll reopen it so you can post the update.
Thank You.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
01-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #208

In the end they seized a sealed unopened package of Bacon that was actually bought in the USA and not used.
I had a gentleman come out of the secondary inspection area in a Hazmat suit and gloves to sieze it...!
No....I'm NOT Kidding.
I'll bet a few cardiologist classify bacon as a biological/chemical weapon of mass destruction.
01-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #209
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

PS.....Someone call 911....Parrallax just had a heart attack upon hearing this Unpardonable Action taken against Bacon !.
"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
01-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #210
Pentaxian

fact.... when travelling across a border in Australia
Howd you go on the swim over from Tassy, you know the one....That urge to eat crows pretty strong!...They stopped the boats but where theres a will theres a way !

Last edited by surfar; 01-12-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Closed Thread