Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why Pentax ?

Hi.
Recently I start asking myself why PENTAX ?
I choose Pentax long time ago . But why people still going for Pentax in the world of ( canon and nikon ).
You going to any big nation wide retail store you will find any model , beside Pentax.
Advertising all about Canon ,Nikon even Sony sells more than Pentax.
Lens and parts supply are in lowest level possible , same as the support and services .
For the past few years Fuji made a huge step with mirrorless cameras , and they sell a lot.
I fully understand why the previous owner going for Pentax and upgrading to new equipment .
But how Pentax want to get the new customers , from new generation , or it's not a Pentax problem now ?
Ricoh maybe need to step up .
Thanks

01-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh has very little interest in building the brand outside of Japan. The best thing they have going at the moment is the Theta, and that is branded as a Ricoh. It's even harder for a Japanese company to market in the US right now with the Dollar being at its highest level in 15 years.

With the camera market continuing to decline, Ricoh is in a much better position than Canon or Nikon. They don't have the huge unsold inventory the others have...

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-05-2017 at 08:45 PM.
01-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
Why Pentax ?
People will choose Pentax for the same reasons you did.
01-05-2017, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well if you're in the market for the FF, Pentax delivers a lot of value for the money. Same with the 645Z. Both seem to be selling really well, despite the weaknesses that the brand faces in terms of B&M availability and worldwide support.

On the APS-C front, Pentax has a rather unique lens lineup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 Adam

My main reasons were build quality and the DA limited series. Before buying a k3ii last year, my first serious camera in a very long time and first dslr, I compared with other brands in store. Fwiw, I'm part of the "new generation" and I was mainly deciding between olympus and pentax, I have no means or interest in buying a ff camera.

Last edited by aaacb; 01-05-2017 at 09:04 PM.
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to use Pentax in collage, sold all of my gear long ago. and when I come back to take photo again, I in fact didn't pay attention to Pentax at all. I though the brand was going to die. but after I first test a K5, I instantly come back to Pentax. Everything feel just right when hold it on hands. and I live in Japan. A lot of Pentax gears here. if I am not in Japan and not interest in FF / landscapes, I would think really hard too.
01-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My dad was a Pentax shooter still is rocking a K100D and a K10D to this day! The reason he went Pentax was he liked the Pentax rep at the small now closed local photo store he worked at on the side.

01-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You going to any big nation wide retail store you will find any model , beside Pentax.
Yes, but I've only found a small body and lens Canikon selection in "big nation wide retail" stores, so after the initial body and one lens purchase, I'm back to the Internet to buy gear - just like Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
Advertising all about Canon ,Nikon even Sony sells more than Pentax.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Road Not Taken - Robert Frost
01-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe it's just a " brand loyalty " ?
01-05-2017, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Nope, I just got Pentax for the best bang for the buck and love it!
01-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you compare bodies and lenses, the strengths and weaknesses of each brand will become apparent. Each system is a compromise, it's up to the individual user to decide which set of compromises is the best for him/her.
01-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #12

I have had Pentax for 30 or so years & last 15 years I keep on asking myself all of the time.
In my town / area / country only way to get Pentax is via internet . Where Canon / Nikon I can get at 4 places here in my town alone.
Its getting harder to buy anything for Pentax,
Also the Oz importer of Pentax here I cant stand hence I never buy new here in Oz 2nd hand or grey import for me
01-05-2017, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The key question assumes a lot. Since Pentax sells better in Asia than in the rest of the world we assume it is not doing as well as it may be. The lack of deep market penetration may not matter given the $ that the marketing and sales requires in the non-asian world markets. If I am Ricoh and I sell in a market and make a modest profit I would be cautious to try to ramp that up as long as I feel my current market position is sustainable.
01-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm with bertwert. Bang for the buck won the day. When I decided in the summer of 2012 that I was ready to make the jump to digital, I knew I wanted a DSLR, I wasn't committed to any particular brand, and I had a tight budget. Back in my 35mm days, I had (still have, actually) manual focus Minolta cameras, so I knew I was going to have to start over fresh. All I've brought over from my 35mm gear is a Quantaray flash with interchangeable hot shoe modules and a few filters. At that time, even the used Canikon stuff was beyond my financial comfort zone but then I found a slightly used Pentax outfit that fit my needs and budget and I haven't ever looked back. Since getting my first Pentax, I've never felt at all envious of others' Canikons and nobody's ever disparaged my gear. What I've got works for me, I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it and that makes me a proud Pentaxian.
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well if you're in the market for the FF, Pentax delivers a lot of value for the money. Same with the 645Z. Both seem to be selling really well, despite the weaknesses that the brand faces in terms of B&M availability and worldwide support.

On the APS-C front, Pentax has a rather unique lens lineup.
Interesting comment Adam. Does the K-1 and 645Z sell well in North America...both in Canada and the USA ?