Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently went through almost the same scenario. My K-x began to have sticky shutter issues so I purchased a used but "mint" K-30 to upgrade, but soon thereafter experienced the career ending block failure. Not willing to risk another expensive door-stop, I excluded the K-30 to K-S2 from immediate consideration. Looking back over my images from the K-x and K-30 I found a little, but not much, difference, and often had to resort to the image data to see which camera took which. Not wanting to be without a DSLR, I purchased a nice K-r from B&H for $210, and a Panasonic ZS50 from a local pawn shop for $225. I am now pretty happy, and will wait to see if the K-70 proves to be more reliable than recent Pentax cameras.

01-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

Original Poster
The most annoying thing is the not knowing where is the focus on the k-x... As I understand video size, auto focus or features have not changed in any dslr?

01-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsou Quote
The most annoying thing is the not knowing where is the focus on the k-x... As I understand video size, auto focus or features have not changed in any dslr?
I think all of the current Pentax lineup shows you the autofocus points, unlike the Kx. Nearly every feature and function in them has been improved since the Kx. Personally, if I were going to do a lot of video I would have a dedicated video camera. I would certainly not choose a DSLR or mirrorless on how well it did video, that may be a tiebreaker but not a major component of the decision. But if video is that important to you, and you want it in a DSLR, you'll want an articulating screen..
01-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd say KS2 for you. All your lenses will be compatible, the price is right, and you get a huge step up in performance.

01-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Panasonic TZ80/ZS60 will shoot 4K video which enables you to grab an 8mp still in camera.Fits your budget and has many other features that are extremely handy for a family situation.Its light and COMPACT.A modest viewfinder but touchscreen WiFi.Normal stills shooting is 18mp.

---------- Post added 01-08-17 at 06:29 AM ----------

01-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #21
Forum Member

I went from a K-r (the immediate successor to the K-x and identical in most respects) to the K-S2. I quite like it. It's not like the D300 or even D3 that I have used in the past, before switching to Pentax while dead broke in the middle of a divorce, but it is quite capable and what it lacks in the dual screen and other functions of the higher end bodies it makes up for in being very compact and light weight. And at this point I will not buy another DSLR without an articulating screen.

Ultimately it will come down to your needs, budget, and priorities, but I think the K-S2 would be a great solution. Really you aren't likely to be disappointed by any of these options that have been suggested here.
01-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If video is important to you, I've gotta recommend a micro 4/3 camera (perhaps something from Panasonic) or maybe something like a Sony a6xxx series, Pentax just doesn't do video I can recommend anymore.

01-07-2017, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zan Quote
Why just an E-M1? I would buy an E-M10 mark II. Is there any difference regarding adapters?
The adapters are the same, but autofocus systems differ. E-M1 is the only olympus in lineup that has an on-sensor PDAF for tracking and four-thirds lenses. This means the FT lenses focus about as fast on an E-M1 as on the old dSLRS. The tracking AF is supposed to be pretty good as well, and miles ahead of CDAF systems in E-M5 line. One thing of note is that E-M1 had a recent firmware update, which supposedly made the tracking AF a lot better, but this wouldn't be mentioned in online reviews. E-M1 II is probably going to be excellent, because they can utilize 20 megapixels of contrast data and PDAF at the same time, and they dedicate a whole image processor just to AF.
01-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help! Will need to search my options a bit more. What I understood is that dslr did not improve that much, although they had opportunities based on what is happening with smartphones. Unless of course the updates are in the $$$$ range only

Last edited by Tsou; 01-08-2017 at 12:15 AM.
01-08-2017, 01:36 AM   #25

Original Poster
I was just reading online that one of the best cameras for my need plus video is D3300 Nikon, I was trying to find a Pentax camera in the lists, but they didnt mention anything... But is a pitty if I change now brand, and what will I do the k-x and all the lenses.. Anyway I will think about it a couple of weeks more and think about what do I really want to change, I.e. the dslr or video recording...
Today we put the xmas pics on the PC and I realised that probably there is also a problem with the focusing of my k-x, as in many photos the kids were out of focus... This is what happens when you dont take care of your dslr and dont spend too much time to have everything 100% ok

01-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I think you want a KS2 or K70.....both have all the bells and whistles PLUS Live View and Focus peaking.
If I had to choose for you....it would be a KS2....
01-08-2017, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

How much video are you going to be doing? The K-S2 and K-70 (and K-50, and K-30) do good, full HD video. No, they don't have every last possible video feature. Only 30fps (standard for ages, but some now do 60 and even 120), "only" full HD (not 4K, which for most people doing video work limits their ability to crop and still export 1080, more than limits their ability to publish in 4K). No external mic inputs. But for *most* people they are unquestionably good enough.

If video is a really big priority for you then Panasonic is probably the way to go, followed by Sony, as has been mentioned. But if it's more of a case of "and I would also like to do some video" then you'll be just fine sticking with Pentax. And I suspect that their next round of bodies will probably advance their video offerings further. (Much later than they probably should have, but still eventually getting there, much like their flash and AF systems.)
01-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsou Quote
I was just reading online that one of the best cameras for my need plus video is D3300 Nikon, I was trying to find a Pentax camera in the lists, but they didnt mention anything... But is a pitty if I change now brand, and what will I do the k-x and all the lenses.. Anyway I will think about it a couple of weeks more and think about what do I really want to change, I.e. the dslr or video recording...
Today we put the xmas pics on the PC and I realised that probably there is also a problem with the focusing of my k-x, as in many photos the kids were out of focus... This is what happens when you dont take care of your dslr and dont spend too much time to have everything 100% ok
That is because the big reviewers all get paid to push certain brands. I have a friend who got a D3300. It feels cheap and lacks many of the features the KS2 does. That friend has now went and bought Pentax after handling mine.
01-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I would have trouble recommending any DSLR to someone who has trouble getting Christmas pictures with a K-x. Sounds like you need something where the camera does a little more for you. A Panasonic or Sony, I believe have facial recognition that zeros in on faces, and do better video.

My daughter in law has my old K-x and we have lots of images from her, action images of her dogs. It's her first DSLR and she has no training whatsoever. So I suspect you need something that does more for you. I personally favour Panasonic in those situations, but I did my research 10 years ago, so I am really out of date to the point of being irrelevant.

Selecting that type of system is just not what most of us here do very often.
01-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would have trouble recommending any DSLR to someone who has trouble getting Christmas pictures with a K-x. Sounds like you need something where the camera does a little more for you. A Panasonic or Sony, I believe have facial recognition that zeros in on faces, and do better video.

My daughter in law has my old K-x and we have lots of images from her, action images of her dogs. It's her first DSLR and she has no training whatsoever. So I suspect you need something that does more for you. I personally favour Panasonic in those situations, but I did my research 10 years ago, so I am really out of date to the point of being irrelevant.

Selecting that type of system is just not what most of us here do very often.

Something that does more for you, such as showing you which focus point is selected through the viewfinder? Or maybe not missing the focus in tungsten lighting? The K-x was not an excellent camera. There's a reason it was replaced so quickly.