Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is AF360FGZ compatible with Samsung GX10?

Hi all, I just sold a Samsung GX10, just wonndering if the Pentax AF360FGZ is compatible with it? I don't see any reason why not. But the user reported it doesn't work, maybe there is a settling that needs to be toggled?

Thanks!

02-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it's the same as the k10.....maybe it's a malfunction?...

hard to know really with out knowing what's really happening
02-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Cheers, - here's what he said:

"It does change the flash focal length when fitted but won't set flash
settings on the camera when it is fully charged. "

Does that make any sense? I've got very little knowledge about Flash systems so don't have a clue onthis.
02-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, an all too common failure of the flash of late. Ask him if he gets one or two or more 'beeps' when turning the flash power switch to 'on'. This seems to be the signal that the flash head zoom mechanism is stuck. There are a number of threads, including one self-repair, concerning this issue.

02-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #5

It's me!

Hi all,
I'm the buyer in question. The flash will partly cooperate with the camera: the zoom mechanism of the flash operates when the lens zooms. However, there is no "flash ready" indicator and the flash won't fire. I spoke to a jolly nice lady at Samsung who told me that not all Pentax kit is tested to work with it's Samsung clone (my choice of words). The flash is fine and still works on the istDL. I'm assuming it is a firmware issue. In any event, I've sourced a Samsung flash now and don't expect a further problem. If anyone's interested, both are on ebay now! I have an infra red remote for the ist and that does work fine with the Samsung. It was interesting to note that the Samsung lady wasn't even prepared to state that Pentax lenses would be compatible... I sense a conspiracy theory in here somewhere
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i think people might be taking this "clone" stuff too far.. samsung is a brand name in its own right and whilst it might seem logical to remain compatible with pentax parts it isnt guaranteed is it..

to look on a samsung branded product and see it as a cheaper rebadged "pentax" product might be a mistake.. the samsung brand has a little more respect in the asian markets than folks give it credit for..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 02-16-2007 at 12:11 PM.
02-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i think people might be taking this "clone" stuff too far.. samsung is a brand name in its own right and whilst it might seem logical to remain compatible with pentax parts it isnt guaranteed is it..

to look on a samsung branded product and see it as a cheaper rebadged "pentax" product might be a mistake.. the samsung brand has a little more respect in the asian markets than folks give it credit for..

trog
well everyone has said, and this includes publications such as popular photography and such, that the GX10, aside from cosmetic changes, and menu layout, is the same camera on the inside. the tests they conducted on their 10 mp shoot out both the k10 and gx10 had the same results.

im not saying samsung is a cheap clone, far from it. I respect samsung as a brand. i love their products, and own a few of it.

they also used pentax so that the consumer can use existing products instead of them having to develop their own. cheaper for them
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i have been in the clone reverse situation.. the panasonic leica tie up..

small camera firm teams up with large electronics set up.. i kinda take the view where digital cameras are concerned the large electronics set up plays the dominant role.. a digital camera is only as good as its firmware and chippery.. its the electronics side of things that produces tommorows new camera.. not the optical expertise..

i paid extra money for that little red spot thow.. he he

i am not sure how the samsung pentax hoya tie up will work out or which name will take over.. but it usually seems to end up with the large electronics giant running the show..

trog

02-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
to look on a samsung branded product and see it as a cheaper rebadged "pentax" product might be a mistake..
That has been the case in terms of DSLR so far. So you can't blame anyone for thinking that way. But it has been reported that K10D would be the last rebadged camera for Samsung. Their next camera is supposed to be their own design.
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #10

Getting back to the original question...

Are the flashguns interchangeable? The answer is definitely "No", and as I now have the samsung flash, I can see why. It's pretty much the same chassis and function as the Pentax flash, but the contact pattern is different for the hotshoe. I assume that explains the partial functionality- the interface is not 100% identical. Similar situation to the K10D firmware update. Sort of.
02-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Corvax Quote
Are the flashguns interchangeable? The answer is definitely "No", and as I now have the samsung flash, I can see why. It's pretty much the same chassis and function as the Pentax flash, but the contact pattern is different for the hotshoe. I assume that explains the partial functionality- the interface is not 100% identical. Similar situation to the K10D firmware update. Sort of.
Can you take a picture of the Samsung hotshoe? Just curious as to why Samsung would use a different pattern than Pentax.
02-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"Can you take a picture of the Samsung hotshoe? Just curious as to why Samsung would use a different pattern than Pentax."

there is only one logical answer to that.. samsung really do not wish their product to be seen as the "cheaper" pentax copy.. they want it to be seen as a product in its own right with its own lenses and accessories..

the two cameras might be similar.. but its quite clear samsung has set out to make sure they are not the "same"..

trog
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #13

Unfortunately, I can't provide a picture- I've only got one camera. I'll try to borrow something from somebody and send in a pic of hotshoe and flash so you can see what I mean.
02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corvax Quote
Unfortunately, I can't provide a picture- I've only got one camera. I'll try to borrow something from somebody and send in a pic of hotshoe and flash so you can see what I mean.
I found these two images. From these angles, they both look very similar, almost identical to me!

K10D:

GX-10:

02-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

and very similar to the one on my k100 as well..

but it wouldnt take much to make a pentax flash not work on the samsung camera varient..

the interesting thing is whether samsung would choose to go this route.. deliberate incompatibility.. they seem to have gone this way with the body shape and grip.. the firmware also differs..

of course the agreement they have with pentax might actually limit the amount of "part" sharing that goes on..

trog