Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Danger to Camera?

We'll be on the Big Island of Hawaii this September. I'd like to photograph the volcano there. I have a UV filter for my lens. Any dangers posed to the camera or lens by the sulfurous fumes? Any extra protection I should take? I don't plan on getting too close... trust me. Thanks.

08-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Same advice that is provided by the National Park Service in Yellowstone.

Do not let steam condense on your optical surfaces, it can pit your coatings.
Wipe any spray or steam off of your camera as soon as possible as it can damage the surface.
Do not dip your camera into the water. (bad ju-ju)
If you drop your camera into the hot water (or lava in your case) do not go in after it, you just might die.

I have been to Yellowstone eight times. Luckily I have never dropped my camera's. I always had either a UV/Haze or 1A filter on every lens. I would much rather replace a filter that get pits on the front element (yes I have seen it happen) from the acids in the water/spray/steam. Also, do not change your lens when you are in a cloud of steam - think about what you are going to shoot before you get into the cloud.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Agree on a filter on any lens you will use but I'm not sure how much you'll need it. The national park service is pretty careful about allowing visitors near the eruptions. The fumes are hazardous and you'll be kept away from these areas with signs and barriers.. Don't pass these signs or go off the trails, people have been killed doing so.

Have fun on your Big Island trip, it's my favorite island.

Terry
08-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi JamesD

Re your Hawaiian conundrum:

QuoteQuote:
Any extra protection I should take?
Erm, a very quick jet-ranger helicopter standing by, fitted with long-range fuel pods and with 2 competent pilots keeping it's rotor-blades spinning at full tilt to get you out of there bl**dy quickly, just in case the Big One decides to blow it's top whilst you're approaching the summit.......LOL !!!

Oh on second thoughts, it might be a wise move to pack one of those heat-proof aluminium foil/asbestos suits, plus a VERY BIG Fire-Extinguisher (to be on the safe side)........

Seriously though, have a great time and bring back LOTS of decent photos for the rest of us to enjoy viewing in due course.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 08-04-2008 at 07:09 AM.
08-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL... thanks, everyone. Will do.