Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Upgrade time for K-r

After quite a few successful years with my K-r I'm looking it's time to upgrade. I really only do landscape photography so my concerns are generally sharpness (I know a lot of this is the lens though), dynamic range, toughness, I'd also like it to have better high iso noise performance than the K-r which gets pretty poor after 1600.

I'm looking to upgrade on a pretty tight budget, so really looking at second hand. I'm leaning towards a k5 IIs due to cost, but I'm wondering if going for a K-3 or maybe a K70 would be worth the extra money. Large prints aren't a huge concern but I'd like to be able to print up to A3 (10" x 16") which 16mp should be able to do, so I would have thought the extra megapixels aren't a big deal for me.

Any advice and real world use cases would be great.
Thanks

01-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II or K-1.
K-70 is another option, costs a little less and is kind of interesting. It has some nice features and is a lot of bang for the buck, though I haven't tried it yet. On paper, it seems very tempting.

The K-5IIs will give you slightly sharper photos and more dynamic range than the K-r. You will notice this. But the question is, why not go with slightly newer technology? With K-5IIs, you will be looking for another upgrade, soon. With the K-70, you will have a lot of new features (KAF4, Pixel shift, tilt screen) and will be set for a long while. Pixel shift alone might be worth it for landscapes (dunno, I don't have a PS camera myself )

Unless you find a really really good deal on the K-5IIs, I would move on to newer tech. You have the skill and experience to know which features you want and which are not important to you
01-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd take this opportunity to make a bigger jump and go for one of the 24mp bodies. The extra resolution really does give you quite a bit of added flexibility, especially when combined with the filter less sensors in use these days.

The k-3 is a nice durable body, so that would be my recommendation. It shouldn't run you too much more than a used k-5 iis. You'll also potentially enjoy better while balance and a nicer interface than the previous generation of cameras.

Remember that we've got reviews of every Pentax model here: In-Depth Reviews | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

If video performance had not been one of my upgrade musts, I would have opted for a K70----great features for stills, in particular.

01-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was thinking K70, but a new one is around $950 in Australia and there aren't any used ones yet. I can get a K5 IIs for about half that which I why I'm leaning that way. I was watching a K3 with a Pentax grip for $900 but was too slow to move and it's gone. Maybe I just need a bit more patients.
01-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

For the image quality concerns you've expressed you would do best with a full frame, so K-1. But that doesn't meet your budget concerns, so we're looking for best image quality for a cropped sensor body. As a general rule the later the body was released the better the image quality from the sensor. But that doesn't always hold up with the updated versions, like the K-5 II which has the same sensor as the K-5, which is almost as old a design as the one in your K-r (though a little bit higher resolution and quality and an unquestionably good one).

I agree that resolution will help for landscape work. It's helpful for most purposes, actually.

Personally I find an articulating screen invaluable. I shoot at knee height and at full arms-reach overhead every day.

High sensitivity quality is always good, but doesn't usually matter as much for landscape work, where tripods are most common, as for other kinds of photography which are more frequently handheld.

In short, the K-3 or K-70 would be very good upgrades for your needs and as body-only options they are rather affordable. If those are too much of a stretch then the K-S2 would be a good option (I love mine) but you might want to make do with the K-r until you can get one of the others.
01-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All 3 are fine cameras. For 10" x 16" prints I think you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

From everything I have seen and read K5IIs is going to be the dynamic range champ and may have a hair better noise performance.

The flippy screen of the K70 would be nice for landscape work, although personally I'd prefer the Mag body of the others.

Keep in mind these cameras are bigger and heavier than the K-r. That may be a consideration.

Also think about reviewing the lenses you are using for landscape work. This can make much more difference than the body.

01-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
I really only do landscape photography ... dynamic range ... I'm leaning towards a k5 IIs ... print up to A3 (10" x 16")
Any variant of the K-5 will be good and a significant upgrade. I printed 13x19 often, sometimes up to 16x20, and wasn't limited by resolution except with tight cropping. That was with a regular K-5 that has the anti-aliasing filter that softens focus a little bit; the iis is a little sharper.

The K-3 isn't an upgrade to the K5 for most landscapes. You don't get any more dynamic range or low-light performance. The K-3 gives you more resolution and improved autofocus; that doesn't hurt but for your use case will be extra money for no significant gain for landscapes. If you wanted to photograph sports or wildlife then the K-3 would be a good pick.

FYI, I do a lot of night photography where dynamic range and high ISO is important. My upgrade path was from a K-r to a K-5. That K-5 was a great upgrade ~4 years ago. I didn't get the K-3; it took the K-1 before there was a worthwhile improvement but that was an expensive upgrade. The K-5 has better dynamic range than many new Canon models.
01-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K70....outguns other brands at a similar price....pixelshift landscapes are pretty neat....high Iso capability...screen tilts and flips...its a little bro of the K1!
01-10-2017, 02:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
I certainly like the look of the k70, especially the tilting screen, that is something that I would find really helpful. But for $400 more it's a stretch
01-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You can try the marketplace on these forums and various other used gear websites and local listings. You can wait a bit longer, until Pentax announces the next generation. And keep eyes peeled for sales, coupons,..

The K-5IIs is a step up from the K-r, it is the next tier. But it is not that much newer. It has better features and technology, but not newer technology. I doubt a K-5IIs will be a disappointment, its just that that deal does not sound super amazing
01-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ebay Aust has the K70 with 18-55WR $888 delivered....its worth the stretch.
01-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

One thing we didn't ask about is what lenses and gear you have. It might make more sense to buy a good landscape lens. It would give you good IQ, better low light performance, and it would also work on whatever camera you buy next. Or a tripod, or software. These things are not as expensive as a whole camera, but can let you squeeze more out of the K-r, and then these things can also be used with the next camera, K-70 or K-3, when you save up for it.
I still use my K-r sometimes and with good PP I get quite nice photos

If you already have these things, then a camera upgrade makes sense
01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
I did notice the K70 with 18-55WR $888 delivered and it is certainly making me think.

I lenses I currently have are; Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, DA 16-45 f4, A50 f1.7 and the two kit lens that came with the camera. I'm currently fairly happy with what I've got, though at some stage I would like to get the 18-135 to take when trying to travel light. I do quite like the idea of having the 18-55WR as it would give me a cheap WR option to take out in the weather.
01-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
I did notice the K70 with 18-55WR $888 delivered and it is certainly making me think.

I lenses I currently have are; Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, DA 16-45 f4, A50 f1.7 and the two kit lens that came with the camera. I'm currently fairly happy with what I've got, though at some stage I would like to get the 18-135 to take when trying to travel light. I do quite like the idea of having the 18-55WR as it would give me a cheap WR option to take out in the weather.
The K70 is an excellent camera I was debating between it and the K3II ultimately the K3II edged out because of build quality and number of autofocus sensors. I think you will be very happy with the K70!