Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #1

upgrading looking for advice.

Greetings friends,
I currently shoot a kx. I bought this camera new gosh years ago and have loved it. I am looking to upgrade this spring I want to stay with pentax but am not sure which way to go. I shoot mostly outdoors but am wanting to get into more portraits. I am looking to stay with a crop sensor not ready for the k1. I will have roughly 1500 to 2000 us dollars to spend. I have been looking at the k3ii. it has the weather proofing I am wanting. But I see the k70 and that too looks tempting they say it is a bit more rugged and I do spend 3 to 4 days a week in the woods.
I also was wondering if anyone had any good lens suggestions for portraits. I have been relying on my nifty 50 1.8 but want some versatility. any ideas would be great! thanks!

01-10-2017, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Wow you are in a very similar spot to where I was a few months back. Except I was coming from a QS1 and MX1. I had about the same budget you did. You can't go wrong with either the K70 or K3II. I ended up with the K3II for the better autofocus and build quality but for the money the K70 is an excellent camera too. For a great walkabout zoom I highly recommend you go with a 16-85mm to pair with it like I did, worth every penny.

I didn't stop there and went a little overboard and am now waiting and saving for the 300 F4 to go on sale. Bottom line you can't go wrong, but if you want the flippy screen go K70 if you want the better auto focus and build quality go K3II. Pentax may release a new flagship K3II replacement in the next 6 months but who knows. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited by gm4life; 01-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.
01-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect the k-3ii to be tougher than the k-70.

As for lenses, what subjects do you want to shoot?
01-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #4

If you are out in the woods 3-4 days a week, then perhaps de K-3ii also has a slight edge regarding battery power. If there is one thing I dont like about my K-70, it is the battery.

01-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-3 II is in the flagship class, which means you get a full metal body, unlike the K-70. The former also has a more durable shutter.

That said, there may be something new just around the corner. If your budget is that high, I'd wait a bit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2017, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Servant Quote
I also was wondering if anyone had any good lens suggestions for portraits.
I do love my Sigma 50-150 for portraits. It offers a great range for portraits in my opinion and has very good optical qualities.

The Nifty Fifty is a wonderful lens though and I do love shooting with it.

When I am ready to upgrade my K50 I will be going with a K3 for the added AF, FPS and dual card slots. I am curious to see what comes this year.
01-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 II is in the flagship class, which means you get a full metal body, unlike the K-70. The former also has a more durable shutter.

That said, there may be something new just around the corner. If your budget is that high, I'd wait a bit.
I'm not normally one to recommend waiting, but in this instance I'd have to agree. We're starting to see the first rumours (albeit unsubstantiated) that the K-3II is about to be replaced, and the timing is right. There should be attractive discounts on the K-3II coming fairly soon, or you might decide that the improvements offered by the new model are too tempting to ignore.

The K-70 has had great reviews so far, and I've seen no reports of design faults, so that's definitely an option too, but the K-3II or whatever replaces it as the flagship APS-C model are heavier-duty cameras with a more robust build.

01-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Wow you are in a very similar spot to where I was a few months back. Except I was coming from a QS1 and MX1. I had about the same budget you did. You can't go wrong with either the K70 or K3II. I ended up with the K3II for the better autofocus and build quality but for the money the K70 is an excellent camera too. For a great walkabout zoom I highly recommend you go with a 16-85mm to pair with it like I did, worth every penny.

I didn't stop there and went a little overboard and am now waiting and saving for the 300 F4 to go on sale. Bottom line you can't go wrong, but if you want the flippy screen go K70 if you want the better auto focus and build quality go K3II. Pentax may release a new flagship K3II replacement in the next 6 months but who knows. Best of luck in your search.
Thank you so much I love the videos ive seen of the k3ii standing up to the elements big plus for me..
01-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would expect the k-3ii to be tougher than the k-70.

As for lenses, what subjects do you want to shoot?
I have been shooting mainly landscapes but am wanting to move into portraits. I have done a few with my 50mm 1.8 but want a little more versatility.
01-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by koekie Quote
If you are out in the woods 3-4 days a week, then perhaps de K-3ii also has a slight edge regarding battery power. If there is one thing I dont like about my K-70, it is the battery.
I am looking forward to getting away from the 4 aa batterys my kx takes..

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 10:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Thank you Adam! I have heard rumors of a new release from pentax.. what to do what to do..lol
01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you Adam! I have heard rumors of a new release from pentax.. what to do what to do..lol
To be clear there's nothing concrete at the moment, but with all other product lines seeing a recent release, the flagship APS-C line is due for an upgrade

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been shooting mainly landscapes but am wanting to move into portraits. I have done a few with my 50mm 1.8 but want a little more versatility.
Portrait lenses mean different things to different people. Working distances and the amount of the person you want to show is important.

Try this thread for perspective:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/335717-port...ses-aps-c.html
01-11-2017, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another option is the KS2, its the highest rated digital Pentax in user reviews!....just opinions of owners FWIW.

Importantly, some of the reviewers have moved from the KX.

At the moment its the "entry level" model....U$499 great value and gives you more to spend on lenses.
01-11-2017, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Adorama has a bundle deal K3II, battery grip and flash for 899 which is a great buy too.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera Body W/AF-200FG Shoe Mount Flash/D-BG5 Battery Grip
01-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Another option is the KS2, its the highest rated digital Pentax in user reviews!....just opinions of owners FWIW.

Importantly, some of the reviewers have moved from the KX.

At the moment its the "entry level" model....U$499 great value and gives you more to spend on lenses.

You know I have not looked at that Model... I am going to look at it that is a big savings and more money for lenses and lighting..thats always a plus