Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well it will be in couple months time, but jus wanted to have first hand advices for small country boy like me.

Should I leave for example my K-1 and big lenses home? Is normal camera bag going to cut it or should I have small one and K-3 with my smaller primes...? Or am I just thinking it too much. Will be around Brooklyn and center, like broadway etc..

Any good story, advice or so is great. Also tips on where and what to would be appriciated.

Don't know what to add here, so please join in.
Yes , you are overthinking it too much ! I would be much more concerned about driving and parking as a priority.
Some places don't allow large Bags and Backpacks , and scrutinize them closely.
Take either camera and a wider zoom with spare battery and you will be just fine.

New York is a lot of Fun.....IF.....someone else is doing all the driving.

01-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Yes , you are overthinking it too much ! I would be much more concerned about driving and parking as a priority.
Some places don't allow large Bags and Backpacks , and scrutinize them closely.
Take either camera and a wider zoom with spare battery and you will be just fine.

New York is a lot of Fun.....IF.....someone else is doing all the driving.
I won't drive..that is for sure. Thanks! I tend to think too much...usually too late, or too early. I think that it will be great trip thou.
01-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I won't drive..that is for sure. Thanks! I tend to think too much...usually too late, or too early. I think that it will be great trip thou.
I know when I went my Priorities were simple...Statue of Liberty , Central Park , and B&H Photo.......lol.
01-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I know when I went my Priorities were simple...Statue of Liberty , Central Park , and B&H Photo.......lol.
Seems like B&H is on lot's of peoples lists..

01-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget McSorleys!!!!!!!! Not sure if it is as neat as it was some 20 years ago. Back then if you asked for beer they would say what kind. You ask what they got and the answer is light or dark. I wonder if the handcuffs are still attached to the foot rail of the bar? If so they have been there for 100 years or so. The place itself has been in business since 1854.

I have only been to "The City" as the locals call it a few times on business. One thing I did get was a splitting headache by the end of the day. There is so much to take in that it overwhelms you. According to my native companions the secret is to shut a lot of it out. Tourists are easy to spot. They are just standing there looking up. It is amazing how small the UN looked to me with all the large buildings around it. Was a bit of a shock the first time I saw it.

It is an amazing place. Every day 8 million people enter the city to work and then return home at night. And somehow it all works. People are pretty friendly, but live at a very hectic pace that they somehow seem to enjoy. Slowing them down is not tolerated.
01-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by specialk Quote
6am-midnight
24hrs

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 17:53 ----------

Seems like B&H is on lot's of peoples lists.
By far the best experience to shop at B&H is online. That store is a nightmare.......
01-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If it was me I would think the DA21mm (or DA15mm) and DA35mm would be all you need. Keep it light and have fun.

01-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do wind up driving it's not so bad if you park and walk. There is actually some free parking in Manhattan if you look around for it on the side streets below 34th or you can pay the muni-meter until 7PM for about $3/hr then it's free after 7. Please triple and quadruple read the street signs in regards to parking.
01-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In many areas of NYC tourists like to visit a car can be a liability. Most are well-served by public transportation.
At most hours I do not suggest using a car in Manhattan (except Upper Manhattan) and downtown Brooklyn.
Other areas including the outer boroughs are less well-served by public transportation and more "car-friendly".

Enjoy your visit.

Chris
01-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #25
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
By far the best experience to shop at B&H is online. That store is a nightmare.......
I'm sorry you feel this way, particularly since so many visitors thoroughly enjoy their time here. I will offer these observations: Fridays (particularly as closing time approaches) it gets busy. Sundays are always busy. OTOH Monday or Tuesday, especially before mid-afternoon is relatively bucolic.

Fridays we close PROMPTLY at 1:00pm EST or 2:00pm DST. Our hours and schedule. Monday, April 10 - Tuesday, April 18 we are closed.

The Skylight Diner, (across the street) is a nice place for lunch or a snack.

The store is a couple of blocks from Macy's and that's a couple of blocks from the Empire State Bldg.
01-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

B&H is worth visiting but brace yourself as a first time visitor. One line to select your item, a 2nd line to pay, and a 3rd line to get the item. The lines move fast. They were probably forced into that due to tight Manhattan real estate and it's quite a creative solution.
01-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
particularly since so many visitors thoroughly enjoy their time here
It once took me 6 hours just to buy a turntable because it was labeled with the wrong skew so they had to go downstairs and check each box one by one , sometimes it's hard to get someone to help you and now that you charge sales tax for online purchases to NJ I'll have to take another star off. You have to wait for your items AFTER you pay.

However your used dept. is impressive in which I always advocate. The best prices overall anywhere including Amazon. I've been shopping there since the 1990's.

Oh and the liberal return policy even on used products I can appreciate.

Last edited by brightseal; 01-26-2017 at 09:12 PM.
01-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

24hrs

---------- Post added 01-12-17 at 17:53 ----------

Actually B&H is a must see on any visit to NY. Yes it is crowded and it takes a bit of maneuvering if you want to buy something but you have an opportunity to handle any kind of photo gear, including things like bags, cases, straps, tripods and of course cameras and lenses. I usually don't buy in store only because it is far more cost effective to go to the website and have it shipped to my home in Delaware (0% sales tax) avoiding NYC sales tax. The opportunity to see and handle all of the gear I want is really a huge benefit. When I lived in NY I always bought in store, never online.
01-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As always with these sort of threads, the OP should be thinking about what their preferred shooting style is. I like wide angles, for example, and I move from place to place, I've also used a 40mm XS on a K-5 all day and into the night in Baltimore, I never once wished I had a different lens, very light and low profile. I don't like to swap lenses, I move to get the shot I want, or the shot I can.
Others might be the type to sit in the park and people watch for a while, they might prefer a few different lenses and be willing to sit and swap lenses at a location. One thing I recommend is to make a rough itinerary and think about the lens you might most want at each place. If you are going to be out all day, you have to carry more lenses, but if you might return to your hotel at dinner time, you could swap out one lens for a lens with better low-light capabilities before nightfall.
Also, I think the 18-135mm is a very good walk-around lens, and the WR means you can talk shots no matter the weather.
Last, take the boat tour around Manahattan early in your stay, but take it if you have the time. I suggest this because you will see a lot of places very well from the water, and that might be enough for you to check that block, so you can devote time to travelling to other places, especially indoor locations. In any case, the boat tour is a great way to see NYC from the comfort of a deck chair. I have taken this tour several times, I always see and learn something new.. Be advised, the East River is a tidal river, it's better to make the tour when the tide is high so you can go around the whole island.
01-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
B&H is worth visiting but brace yourself as a first time visitor.
Lots of good advice so far. In my only trip in 2013 I took my K100d Super and DA 18-55 and shot only in the daytime. That simple combo served me pretty well, and I was happy with my photos, at least for the gear I had. I was concerned about safety and traveling light, but in retrospect, those were not that much of a problem or concern. I found that I was wide to normal focal length almost all the time, never in the long ranges. I was with a group at all times, so flexibility was necessary, but even if not, the convenience of a zoom would have been mandatory for me. If you really want your best photos, I would not hesitate to take the K-1 and a good wide to normal zoom. I went to several key points of interest and all were worth it, and very photogenic. Good luck!