Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heading to New York, New York...

Well it will be in couple months time, but jus wanted to have first hand advices for small country boy like me.

Should I leave for example my K-1 and big lenses home? Is normal camera bag going to cut it or should I have small one and K-3 with my smaller primes...? Or am I just thinking it too much. Will be around Brooklyn and center, like broadway etc..

Any good story, advice or so is great. Also tips on where and what to would be appriciated.

Don't know what to add here, so please join in.

01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it were me going on the trip, I'd grab my favorite camera (the K-1) and my favorite walkaround lens (the 28-105mm in my case) and have at it. Except in rare circumstances, I've never found myself craving to switch to faster primes when taking tourist photos. I used to carry a 50mm or an 85mm in addition to my zoom, but they rarely saw use.

Now, if you plan to take serious cityscapes or other more artistic shots, then that's another story. But I don't think the K-1 is too big at all. Just don't go pushing through crowds with it and the 70-200mm

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
amp

Adam has the right idea, but I'd opt for the k3 and a flexible zoom just because I don't want to possibly entice any criminal elements. I'd rather have a k3 swiped than a k1. Just speaking from past experience.
Have a nice trip!
01-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion is that you take a wide angle lens with you. I used both my 8mm and the Sigma 10-20 and they were a lot of fun.
I would also take the best camera. Just use common sense when and where to use it.

01-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My "New York Kit" is a DA15 and an 18-135 on my K-5II. The wide angle is great for inside museums and other spaces where you can't really get away from the subject, and WR-rated zoom is a great do-all walking lens. The only lens I'd really want is something for low light, like my M 50 1.4, or maybe an FA35. Small, fast primes, when there's not a lot of light. I use a Joby wrist strap and walk a lot with it in-hand.

K-1, a 28-105 and then, oh, the DA15 I guess (and crop out the dark corners when I get home) or maybe find an FA20 would be about the same. Maybe one of the 40's or the FA43 for street carry as they're just so small.
01-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Either camera and a zoom.
01-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Most museums allow cameras but not big camera bags. Check specific museum websites for rules.

Consider a wide lens for architectural photos on Manhattan streets; there's not enough room to zoom out with your feet.

For good skyline shots, Brooklyn Bridge Park and Gantry Plaza State Park offer good vantage points of Manhattan.

People walk quickly. Watch where you stand, tourist!

01-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my NYC kit

I will traveling to NYC soon. I've probably been there 50 times in my life -- such a great place for photography!

The kit I will be bringing this time consists of the following:
  • K-3ii + grip
  • DA* 60-250mm f/4
  • DA 16-45mm
  • ThinkTank Digital Holster 30
  • Optech Pro strap system
  • 67mm Marumi closeup and CPL filters

Everything fits into the shoulder-mounted ThinkTank holster. I can carry this all day.

Michael
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Any good story, advice or so is great. Also tips on where and what to would be appriciated.

I took an 8-day New York City vacation in 2012. I took the 10-17, 12-24 and 17-70. If it was only one I would go with the 12-24. I think I only wanted longer than 70 about once or twice, but I got by without it.

Grand Central Terminal (self-guided audio tour), 12-24 @12.

Atomic Wings @70.

Taxi @70.

Empire State Bldg (ESB) View 10-17 @13. About 3 hours up and back due to long security lines and limited elevators - and it was not that great of weather...

"Strawberry Fields" @13. Columbus Circle is nearby at 59th St (Feelin' Groovy bridge).

Q: Who's buried in Grant's tomb? A: No one - it's above ground. @10.

30 Rock, 12-24 @ 12. It has an observation deck. Next door is the Radio City Music Hall, with a tour.

This museum was photo-friendly :-)

This is all I dare post. FE @ 17.

Statue of Liberty on the one gloomy day. 17-70 @ 37.

There are tours at the UN building.

Guide and model @ 24.

Council chamber @ 10.

World Trade Center @ 10. Should not be missed. Free, but timed tickets are required, not really bad security.

12-24 @ 12. This was the best flag shot before the wind gave up.

FE @ 13.

Afternoon/evening open-air bus tour on Manhattan bridge. @ 37.

The boat trip around Manhattan was nice in the late afternoon (good weather). I think there are 21 bridges. It is something like $39 (NY Pass works).
Battery park skyline @ 58.

Little Red lighthouse @ 28

Save Coney Island. Take the "A" train south, which ends up here. 17-70 @17.

The wax museum is a block from Times Square and is photo-friendly.
Woody @23.

Naked Cowboy @23.

Times Square bleachers @ 31. Hanging out in Times Square before catching the shuttle across the river to my motel was nice to rest up in the late afternoon/evening.

Conservatory, 10-17 @17.

Ferry Bldg @10.

Chinatown (Mott St) @10. Little Italy is nearby.

I almost did not take the helicopter ride. But my 8-day old blisters, and nice weather offset the $139 cost of the 15-minute flight. One-handed and through plexiglass!
Heli ride @31.

You can check out all 1,200 shots here :-)

New York City 12 by SpecialK

If you are going to be there for a few days, say 5, I would suggest these. The NY Pass saves a lot of entry fees (really works) but it is about $250 so you need to use it a lot for it to pay off. I made a spreadsheet of all the places it is good at, that I was interested in, and based my sightseeing off that. I would have paid over $540 without it. It included 3 open-air tour-bus rides.

Do not rent a car. Do not take taxis. This was about $30 for a week. Goes everywhere 6AM-midnight. I was a little hesitant at first, but after 1/2 day, the subway was the way to go.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-12-2017 at 12:12 AM.
01-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As a native New Yorker born and raised in Brooklyn and lived in Manhattan and the nearby suburbs, I carry light weight and mostly wide angle. My kit, when I go, is my travel light kit, K-3, DA 15, 21 and 40 Limiteds. Wide angle is very important since you will be shooting large scenes in tight, crowded spaces, unless you are in places like the Battery park ferries, Brooklyn bridge, Central Park or the Brooklyn Heights promenade. The DA 15 on the K-3 is wide enough to get all of 1WTC in the frame even in the memorial park. The 9-11 memorial is a highly recommended site to visit. I live in Delaware now but we go back to visit at least 6 times a year. Aside from camera gear be prepared for weather in whatever season you go, rain, or snow can come up quickly and unexpectedly.
Also noteworthy you can visit B&H and Adorama. Just be aware they close early on Friday and remain closed on Saturday and anything you purchase in store will include 8.75% NYC sales tax. I often look at both, then go home and order online and pay Delaware 0% sales tax. Still worth a visit.
Sights worth seeing in no particular order
Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Battery Park, Staten Island or Statue of Liberty Ferries and Ellis Island, Governors Island (if open in warm weather) World Trade Center site, 1 WTC observatory and museum, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Heights promenade and of course any museums of interest. You could easily spend an entire day in the American Museum of Natural History.
As much as you can, avoid driving in the city, especially in Manhattan and Brooklyn, Taxis only for short hops in Manhattan and the subway are my preferred ways of getting around. Do not take taxis for longer trips such as from Manhattan to the outer boroughs such as Brooklyn. They can get ridiculously expensive and the $ meter keeps running and adding up if you are stuck in traffic. Two options you can consider in the warmer months are the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Gardens if your interests go this way.
Have a Great Trip!

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-11-2017 at 05:52 PM.
01-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Watch where you stand, tourist!
I suppose that this I hear couple of times then..

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I will traveling to NYC soon. I've probably been there 50 times in my life -- such a great place for photography!

The kit I will be bringing this time consists of the following:
  • K-3ii + grip
  • DA* 60-250mm f/4
  • DA 16-45mm
  • ThinkTank Digital Holster 30
  • Optech Pro strap system
  • 67mm Marumi closeup and CPL filters

Everything fits into the shoulder-mounted ThinkTank holster. I can carry this all day.

Michael
Seems like a proper kit! I'll have something wide for sure. Have to think about getting some money for longer lens too...

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
NYC is waaaaaaay less dangerous from a street crime perspective than it's been in previous decades. Basically, the level of risk is similar to any other city, so if you are smart (go out in groups at night, don't leave your gear in your car, etc.), it need not be overly dangerous to bring good gear. You can always purchase travel insurance beforehand if you are particularly worried.

One other thing - NYC is the home of B+H and Adorama, which are both worth checking out for any fan of photography gear.
this seems to calm me down...have heard stories and stuff, but obviously it must be long a go.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it were me going on the trip, I'd grab my favorite camera (the K-1) and my favorite walkaround lens (the 28-105mm in my case) and have at it. Except in rare circumstances, I've never found myself craving to switch to faster primes when taking tourist photos. I used to carry a 50mm or an 85mm in addition to my zoom, but they rarely saw use.

Now, if you plan to take serious cityscapes or other more artistic shots, then that's another story. But I don't think the K-1 is too big at all. Just don't go pushing through crowds with it and the 70-200mm
Thanks! I'll bring my 20-35 and 43, 77 and maybe some longer lens too then and *55 for rainy day along with my K-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I took an 8-day New York City vacation in 2012. I took the 10-17, 12-24 and 17-70. If it was only one I would go with the 12-24. I think I only wanted longer than 70 about once or twice, but I got by without it.

Grand Central Terminal (self-guided audio tour), 12-24 @12.

Atomic Wings @70.

Taxi @70.

Empire State Bldg (ESB) View 10-17 @13. About 3 hours up and back due to long security lines and limited elevators - and it was not that great of weather...

"Strawberry Fields" @13. Columbus Circle is nearby at 59th St (Feelin' Groovy bridge).

Q: Who's buried in Grant's tomb? A: No one - it's above ground. @10.

30 Rock, 12-24 @ 12.

This museum was photo-friendly :-)

This is all I dare post. FE @ 17.

Statue of Liberty on the one gloomy day. 17-70 @ 37.

There are tours at the UN building.

Guide and model @ 24.

Council chamber @ 10.

World Trade Center @ 10. Should not be missed. Free, but timed tickets are required, not really bad security.

12-24 @ 12. This was the best flag shot before the wind gave up.

FE @ 13.

Afternoon/evening open-air bus tour on Manhattan bridge. @ 37.

The boat trip around Manhattan was nice in the late afternoon (good weather). I think there are 21 bridges. It is something like $39 (NY Pass works).
Battery park skyline @ 58.

Little Red lighthouse @ 28

Save Coney Island. Take the "A" train south, which ends up here. 17-70 @17.

The wax museum is a block from Times Square and is photo-friendly.
Woody @23.

Naked Cowboy @23.

Times Square bleachers @ 31. Hanging out in Times Square before catching the shuttle across the river to my motel was nice to rest up in the late afternoon/evening.

Conservatory, 10-17 @17.

Ferry Bldg @10.

Chinatown (Mott St) @10. Little Italy is nearby.

I almost did not take the helicopter ride. But my 8-day old blisters, and nice weather offset the $139 cost of the 15-minute flight. One-handed and through plexiglass!
Heli ride @31.

You can check out all 1,200 shots here :-)

New York City 12 by SpecialK

Thanks for great shots, I'll look up rest too

If you are going to be there for a few days, say 5, I would suggest these. The NY Pass saves a lot of entry fees (really works) but it is about $250 so you need to use it a lot for it to pay off. I made a spreadsheet of all the places it is good at, that I was interested in, and based my sightseeing off that. I would have paid over $540 without it. It included 3 open-air tour-bus rides.

Do not rent a car. Do not take taxis. This was about $30 for a week. Goes everywhere 6AM-midnight. I was a little hesitant at first, but after 1/2 day, the subway was the way to go.
I'll be using metros then. seems great value and how to do it, thanks for a tip! AND I really have to think of getting wider that 20mm with me..I hate distortion with my SY 14, but it will have to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
As a native New Yorker born and raised in Brooklyn and lived in Manhattan and the nearby suburbs, I carry light weight and mostly wide angle. My kit, when I go, is my travel light kit, K-3, DA 15, 21 and 40 Limiteds. Wide angle is very important since you will be shooting large scenes in tight, crowded spaces, unless you are in places like the Battery park ferries, Brooklyn bridge, Central Park or the Brooklyn Heights promenade. The DA 15 on the K-3 is wide enough to get all of 1WTC in the frame even in the memorial park. The 9-11 memorial is a highly recommended site to visit. I live in Delaware now but we go back to visit at least 6 times a year. Aside from camera gear be prepared for weather in whatever season you go, rain, or snow can come up quickly and unexpectedly.
Also noteworthy you can visit B&H and Adorama. Just be aware they close early on Friday and remain closed on Saturday and anything you purchase in store will include 8.75% NYC sales tax. I often look at both, then go home and order online and pay Delaware 0% sales tax. Still worth a visit.
Sights worth seeing in no particular order
Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Battery Park, Staten Island or Statue of Liberty Ferries and Ellis Island, Governors Island (if open in warm weather) World Trade Center site, 1 WTC observatory and museum, Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn Heights promenade and of course any museums of interest. You could easily spend an entire day in the American Museum of Natural History.
As much as you can, avoid driving in the city, especially in Manhattan and Brooklyn, Taxis only for short hops in Manhattan and the subway are my preferred ways of getting around. Do not take taxis for longer trips such as from Manhattan to the outer boroughs such as Brooklyn. They can get ridiculously expensive and the $ meter keeps running and adding up if you are stuck in traffic. Two options you can consider in the warmer months are the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Gardens if your interests go this way.
Have a Great Trip!
Great places! I'll look them up. I will be working with our group in New Vic, with puppet performance at broadway from almost whole March. But we do get evenings and some days off. I'll get to see some of these places hopefully. And I do hope that weather will be nice too. you never know with 'spring-time'. Great! so good to see all of these good advices. thanks guys!
01-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Seems like a proper kit! I'll have something wide for sure. Have to think about getting some money for longer lens too...

Maybe a used Tamron 90 macro (excellent image quality, fairly light) and a new/used Rokinon 12 (wide) , plus your 16-50 would cover it. You can resell them with not too much loss later.
01-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Maybe a used Tamron 90 macro (excellent image quality, fairly light) and a new/used Rokinon 12 (wide) , plus your 16-50 would cover it. You can resell them with not too much loss later.
Thanks for this, I have say that by ansver so far, I dare to take my K-1 with me, so 20-35 will be quite wide...and samyang 14/2.8 will be almost fisheye(looking at your pics. you had quite a few FE shots too). I was actually afraid of possible theft, to be honest when thinking of taking my K-3 with me.. Have to think about my tele-lenses thou. I had M 75-150 at japan, last time with me. I liked that but MF, and not being modern in other ways was quite much keeping it in my bag.
01-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks for this, I have say that by ansver so far, I dare to take my K-1 with me, so 20-35 will be quite wide...and samyang 14/2.8 will be almost fisheye(looking at your pics. you had quite a few FE shots too). I was actually afraid of possible theft, to be honest when thinking of taking my K-3 with me.. Have to think about my tele-lenses thou. I had M 75-150 at japan, last time with me. I liked that but MF, and not being modern in other ways was quite much keeping it in my bag.
Good choice. I look forward to seeing some shots in the future. I had a better vacation than expected except for this (and a smaller one on my toe), which I got on the first day hiking across the Brooklyn bridge on a tour, after an overnight flight. This is on day 6 at Coney Island.
01-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ouch! I'll post some pictures for sure