Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem with DA18-135 lens

I recently received advice in these Forums on huge underexposures I was experiencing on my K50/DA 18-135 combo. It turned out to be a common problem associated with an aperture block. I am now using the K50 with some old manual Tak lenses until I decide whether it's worth fixing the camera. In the meantime I was planning to use the 18-135 on a spare K100D body that I have. I was distressed to find that I couldn't get the lens to auto focus, except on the odd infrequent occasion. At one time, I couldn't get the camera to switch away from AWB (auto white balance). It seems to have fixed itself and now I can select from the different lighting options. When I select manual focussing, the camera works fine but I prefer to use auto focussing for convenience. I cleaned all the electrical contacts and installed fully charged batteries but it didn't help.

I was beginning to think about repairing either the K100D or the K50 but, on a whim, I slapped a couple of different lenses onto the K100D and found the auto focus worked perfectly. It showed the problem was with my 18-135 lens. I've had this lens for a couple of years and it has never let me down. What surprised me was that it was a lens failure rather than a camera failure. The fact that I couldn't switch away from AWB also seemed to indicate the camera was at fault rather than the lens. I thought that lenses almost never failed mechanically; it is always the camera. Is this true?

Now I need advice on whether the lens is worth fixing. It's not something I would dare to attempt myself. Can the fix be done cheaply? Any comments would be very welcome.

01-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The lens is fine I think. The K100d hasn't got SDM contacts which are used by the lens so it is MF only.
01-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted by HarisF1, you need an SDM-compatible body in order to AF with the 18-135. The oldest SDM camera is the K100D Super.

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-13-2017 at 10:57 AM.
01-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

no screw-drive on the DA18-135mm, so it won't work as an AF lens on that body - your K50, however, will need to be repaired or replaced....

or just used as a manual-lens-only body...

01-13-2017, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thank you all for your rapid accurate responses. I'm very relieved to find my 18-135 is OK. What confused me, at first, was the observation that when the camera was set to "auto focus" it would once in a while give a beep as I panned around my den. The beep showed the lens was focused and it would give a sharp image. On all other occasions I could point the camera anywhere else and I would always get a "beepless" exposure, even when the lens was not in focus. The beep just signified that, that as I panned around the room, I had randomly pointed to an image that was in focus - hence the beep. When the camera didn't beep I made the incorrect assumption that the auto focus was broken when in fact the K100D didn't have this focussing feature. Thanks again for your help.

---------- Post added 01-13-17 at 03:25 PM ----------

Hi again Folks. I have another question. If the DA18-135 won't auto focus on the K100D because the latter doesn't have SDM contacts, why does it auto focus on a DA18-250 and a Sigma 24-70? I'm still confused.
01-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Hi again Folks. I have another question. If the DA18-135 won't auto focus on the K100D because the latter doesn't have SDM contacts, why does it auto focus on a DA18-250 and a Sigma 24-70? I'm still confused.
Because those lenses have the older screwdrive functionality. Older lenses were all screwdrive, then some lenses had both, then newer lenses some only have the SDM system. The 18-135 has no screwdrive hardware so will only work with a camera body that supports SDM.
01-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Jatrax. I'm no longer confused
01-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I thank you all for your rapid accurate responses. I'm very relieved to find my 18-135 is OK. What confused me, at first, was the observation that when the camera was set to "auto focus" it would once in a while give a beep as I panned around my den. The beep showed the lens was focused and it would give a sharp image. On all other occasions I could point the camera anywhere else and I would always get a "beepless" exposure, even when the lens was not in focus. The beep just signified that, that as I panned around the room, I had randomly pointed to an image that was in focus - hence the beep. When the camera didn't beep I made the incorrect assumption that the auto focus was broken when in fact the K100D didn't have this focussing feature. Thanks again for your help.
In order to be more stealthy, I have the sound turned off, so the "beep" confused me at first, but I believe you're simply seeing focus confirmation at work; i.e., at random times you'd be pointed at objects that just happened to be at the distance the lens was focused at.

01-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In order to be more stealthy, I have the sound turned off, so the "beep" confused me at first, but I believe you're simply seeing focus confirmation at work; i.e., at random times you'd be pointed at objects that just happened to be at the distance the lens was focused at.
Hi Reh, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks.