Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Couple of *ist D questions

Now that I've had my camera for a little while, I've got a couple more questions.

1. Is the USB port on this camera only USB 1.1? I find it REALLY slow downloading files from the card. I plan on getting a card reader, but just looking to confirm.

2. Regarding the GRIP. Just wondering how the extra batteries work. Do you only get the benifit of them if the power is turned on, on the grip? The reason that I'm wondering about how this works, is the batteries died in the camera when I was trying to download pictures to the PC, and I turned on the grip to get the power from there, but it didn't work. Once I took the batteries out of the grip, and put them into the camera, I could then download my pictures. Maybe batteries are only used when taking pictures??

08-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Now that I've had my camera for a little while, I've got a couple more questions.

1. Is the USB port on this camera only USB 1.1? I find it REALLY slow downloading files from the card. I plan on getting a card reader, but just looking to confirm.

2. Regarding the GRIP. Just wondering how the extra batteries work. Do you only get the benifit of them if the power is turned on, on the grip? The reason that I'm wondering about how this works, is the batteries died in the camera when I was trying to download pictures to the PC, and I turned on the grip to get the power from there, but it didn't work. Once I took the batteries out of the grip, and put them into the camera, I could then download my pictures. Maybe batteries are only used when taking pictures??
[/I]

I can't really answer your second question, but to answer your first, the istD is USB1.1.
I didn't use batteries in the camera with the istD, just the grip, and I never docked it to a computer for downloading.
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not positive here, but is there a menu setting to tell the camera where to draw power from? I think my K10D has an option for the battery where you can select either the body or the grip battery manually, or you can set it to automatically select the one that it needs based on power available.

I have an *ist DL but don't have the grip so I can't remember if it has a menu option for this or not but thought I'd mention it.
08-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #4

I have the *istD with the grip and unlike the K10 where the grip can power the camera, the batteries in the *istD grip are just for the grip.

I recommend getting the card reader unless you have the AC adapter for the camera. Downloading pictures using the camera power really drains the batteries. The reader is a lot cheaper than having to replace batteries all the time.

08-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have to disagree here 'bout the grip batteries.

The ist-D uses BOTH in camera and grip batteries at the same time, in a parallel circuit. Think of it as having twice the MAh. If you use 2500 MAh batteries (8 in total as 4 in camera and 4 in grip) the camera will treat the setup as having just 4 batteries of 5000 MAh each.

There is no camera/grip switching or availability to choose. It just works as if you have a twice capacity fuel tank.

To turn on camera, you always use the main switch. The grip switch just turn on the trigger and other buttons connections but does not turn on the camera. If you turn on grip switch and leave off camera switch, the camera will NOT TURN ON.

About picture downloading, yes, definetaly it is slow from camera. Get a good card reader (cheap) with USB 2.0 capacity.

RB
08-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I have the *istD with the grip and unlike the K10 where the grip can power the camera, the batteries in the *istD grip are just for the grip.
This flies in the face of my experience, which is that the grip will power the camera. I ran my istD with batteries in the grip, but not in the camera for well over a year, after giving up on NiMH AA batteries and going to CR-2v batteries.
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grip question

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote

In order to cycle between the grip/camera when the batteries have died, I believe you have to turn the camera off and on again. And there is no setting to select which battery set is first; in this camera it chooses automatically. The newer cameras have that feature. I was always hoping for a firmware update to change that, but I guess it was not possible with software alone.

And USB 1 was all that was available when this camera was designed (2001/2) and finally came out (2003). Card readers are cheap now, and some cards are even coming with card readers included - just bought a new Lexar 4 gig that came with one. In any event, at big electronic warehouse type stores they are less than $20.00, unless you get a multi-format one.

Cheers,
Cameron