Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went all in on APSC...

Sold all my full frame FA* lenses, made a tidy profit, and now I've got an awesome setup with the K3ii and the 10-17, the 15 limited, 16-85, 40 limited, 60-250 and the big flash with an awesome Billingham bag. 25 meg is enough for me, and I like the smaller size of everything. I just want to complete my set of DA limiteds.

Cheers,
Cameron

01-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks everyone 🙂
So far it looks as though a k-3 or k-3ii is in front.... as much as I'd like to wait the longer I wait the more money it's actually costing in a way, even though my camera isn't a source of direct income it is an important tool in our business so every day it's out of action we don't have products making it onto our online store..... and it's storm season haha pretty pictures not being taken!.... yes a lot of reasons why I cannot wait (and yep I had a backup but it's died too)

So I'm figuring so far go budget wise....be patient and see what comes up down the track... maybe pick up a k-1 when the shine wears off a bit.... or when I come across an unexpected windfall and don't have to find ways to justify it to myself lol

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 03:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Sold all my full frame FA* lenses, made a tidy profit, and now I've got an awesome setup with the K3ii and the 10-17, the 15 limited, 16-85, 40 limited, 60-250 and the big flash with an awesome Billingham bag. 25 meg is enough for me, and I like the smaller size of everything. I just want to complete my set of DA limiteds.

Cheers,
Cameron
Sounds like a very comfortable kit indeed 🙂
01-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax is announcing a new camera next week. Maybe wait...
It seems there is a lot of emphasis on the battery grip on this coming announcement. I wonder if it is similar to Fuji's Xt2 booster grip that adds more than a couple of additional batteries. Fuji as designed this to increase the FPS from 8 to 11 and provide for earphone jack (get rid of that ugly hump on the K3) and I am not sure what else.
01-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I guess the other question is why you want the k-1. If there are things you can't do with the k-50 when out was working, what are they? If it is just a desire to not feel like you should have purchased up, then maybe... But it seems like a waste. More weight, more money, less megapixels with your 16-50...
Not so interesteed in more megapixels... I was eyeballing the K-1 because I'd heard it was ideal as a nighttime camera with low noise for high appeture, I've just started delving into astro photgraphy so that's been the main iterest for me... as has the color range I keep hearing about.... the preview screen at the back also interests me because I get into a lot of tight spots at ground level taking photos so no mor bug-bites on my belly would be appreciated lol.
I hadn't heard a thing at all about how the K-3's handle it at night....

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 03:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
My experience with a rented, unmodified, 60-250 on my K1 was very positive. Some vignetting/shadowing happens a bit beyond 200mm but between 60-200mm it ranks with the Canon 70-200mm F4 L series lens, which is widely recognized as one of the sharpest zooms available.
Well that would be alright to live with... I only have it beyond 200mm when taking photos at campdrafts (I'm now aware most people here are american and probably haven't heard of it lol, campdrafting is an aussie horse sport a bit like cutting) so often end up cropping a bit anyway..... food for thought....

01-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
Forum Member

New gear has its appeal, sure! The 16MP sensor is still loved by a lot of people. New camera will not automatically give you better results, you need to work on it.
01-16-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-1 would give better night high ISO performance but mainly this advantage will come into play using the full sensor. So if you have a plan to have some wide angle lenses with the low coma needed and want to do Astros, then you should hold out for the k-1.

There are several manual focus samyang lenses that are full frame and good for ASTRO and inexpensive.

EDITED: Dang autocorrect typo's are getting to me. Sorry for the confusion if any this causes.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.
01-16-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I started out with the k50 then upgraded to a k3 and the k50 got thrown in a drawer to rarely ever come out. Then I got a k1 and the k3 is now a paper weight. If you can afford the k1 get it.

Almost all of my shooting is wildlife and 90% of that is bald eagles. I thought I would still use the k3 because of the crop and extra reach but found that the k1 shots cropped in post processing were much better quality. Also the higher iso performance allows me to take shots that I would probably not have tried with the k3.

I also have found the burst rate of the k1 to be fine, I have no problem photographing eagles and ospreys diving down to grab fish and have only once had is lock up buffering.

If money is tight the k3 is a great camera and to me was a huge upgrade from the k50, you can't go wrong with it and you will have money for more lenses. I'm sure what ever replaces the k3ii will be a great camera also but who knows how long you will have to wait for it to be available.

01-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #23

Original Poster
The k-1 wool give better night high ISO performance but mainly this advantage will come into play using the full sensor. So if you have out plan to have some wide angle lenses with the low coma needed and want to do Astros, then you should hold out for the k-1.

There are several manual focus samyang lenses that are full frame and good for ASTRO and inexpensive.
Awesome! Exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you (google can only get one so far!)

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 03:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
New gear has its appeal, sure! The 16MP sensor is still loved by a lot of people. New camera will not automatically give you better results, you need to work on it.
Absolutely 🙂 I didn't expect better photos from a better camera, just more opportunities. ..
01-16-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First I'd forget about the K-1. If you don't have a budget for new lenses, the 16-50 will have to be used in crop mode and the 60-250 in full frame mode will have some strong vignetting unless you modify it for full frame use. So you would be buying a heavier fancier k-5ii in effect.
I agree and disagree at the same time.

The crop element is perfectly true. However, the K-1 has many advantages in addition to resolution (and one could argue that 15 MP is sufficient most of the time). The tilting screen, LEDs, AF system, viewfinder size, viewfinder display, wifi, controls, shortcuts, general ergonomics are all a step above the K-3.

That being said, the K-3 is less expensive, more compact, has a higher resolution in APS-C mode, a faster burst mode, and is a superb camera in its own right. But from the time I got the K-1, I have not used the K-3 once except for shots with the K-1 in the frame...
01-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
The k-1 is amazing, but if you only have crappy lenses for it, it's not for you. (I'm not saying your lenses are crap, just pointing out that they aren't ideal for the k-1).
Haha love it, so basically it would be like wearing beat up old cowboy boots with a beautiful evening gown right?
01-16-2017, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't go wrong with either the K3 or K1. Since economics come into play, I would recommend the K3ii over K1 as it is much more affordable and has all of the K1 features like pixel shift, astrotracer and built in GPS (except for swivel screen). While I upgraded to K1, the DFA lenses are also much more expensive, so for me the K3ii hits a sweet spot for affordability and features.
01-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I agree and disagree at the same time.

The crop element is perfectly true. However, the K-1 has many advantages in addition to resolution (and one could argue that 15 MP is sufficient most of the time). The tilting screen, LEDs, AF system, viewfinder size, viewfinder display, wifi, controls, shortcuts, general ergonomics are all a step above the K-3.

That being said, the K-3 is less expensive, more compact, has a higher resolution in APS-C mode, a faster burst mode, and is a superb camera in its own right. But from the time I got the K-1, I have not used the K-3 once except for shots with the K-1 in the frame...
Interesting.
Yep the LED's would be a godsend (I'm clumsy) but what I'm reading is that the k-3 is almost a bit of a must-do to appreciate the k-1...

I'm getting a bit of a plan here.... 2nd hand pentax's bring good money around here on buy/swap/sell pages and shop notice boards, I could easily sell a k-3 and my current lenses for a few good dollars and use it to fund a k-1 when the price comes down a bit... or once this big announcement comes though.... by then k-1 may be far outstripped by something else lol (and We'll be having this conversation again, k-1 versus 2020 supercamera lol)....

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 04:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
You can't go wrong with either the K3 or K1. Since economics come into play, I would recommend the K3ii over K1 as it is much more affordable and has all of the K1 features like pixel shift, astrotracer and built in GPS (except for swivel screen). While I upgraded to K1, the DFA lenses are also much more expensive, so for me the K3ii hits a sweet spot for affordability and features.
Awesome! It's so nice to see it put simply!
I really do appreciate everyone's help in this... it's helping me find a plan and know that a k-3ii isn't too much of a compromise 😆

Last edited by kurrawinya; 01-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
01-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I still carry a K-5.
Most of my lenses are FF and I plan to buy a K-1 about six months after the K-1a or whatever it will be named is proven competent.
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
. While I upgraded to K1, the DFA lenses are also much more expensive
Yes, but are not essential...
60-250 with a simple mod can do pretty well...then theres a few other DAs as well as F/FAs and all the manual K mounts(cheep for the results)
01-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K-3 and the K-1 and use both. Both are actually quite good in low light with the K-1 pulling ahead in that department. K-3 has higher frame rate and higher resolution for the crop lenses I typically use for telephoto. I like the pop up flash on the K-3 for optical slave triggered flash and fill. Can't go wrong with either. There are some great deals on the K-3.