Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #1

(k1 v k3) thoughts if you had to pick one.

Hello everyone - long time no see!!
It seems that the only time I ever post on here is when I'm in a pickle of some sort lol, though I do "lurk" a lot and enjoy looking at everyones photos... I learn a lot too 🙂

Now a while ago I upgraded from my beat up lite k-x to a pretty red k-50 which I was never entirely happy with (I never did overcome that green colour cast even in RAW and with manual setings & white balance) yet I was still heartbroken when my little red rocket did it's typical k-50 thing and the appeture motor completely karked it (died).

So rather than repair I have decided to upgrade (she's out of warranty) and it's left me with a dilemma.... big upgrade or little upgrade?

My natural instinct was to go for the k-3 or k-3ii (depending on availability locally) but then the k-1 caught my eye with all it's coolness... and I wondered if it was worth justifying the extra $1,200 (AUD) or so... I mean I can't really afford a new camera anyway so in for a penny in for a pound right? Lol.

My main argument is that the k-3 feels familliar to me, I borrowed my uncle's k-3 for portraits once and liked it, yet the k-1 is an unknown.... yet I fear making a step that is too small like last time if there is such a thing... I rued the day I'd bought a k-50 instead of a k-3 almost as soon as I had the k-50 in my hands and I seemed to demand more than the poor little thing could give yet the traitorous k-3 of uncle Tom's would willingly do so much for me putting the k-50 in the bad books....

Anywho.... if it's any help my lenses (well my main 2) are a Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 and a Pentax DA* 16-50mm f2.8.... my other lenses are pretty shoddy and hardly worth a mention... nothing I own is FF anyway....

My main subjects are animals (usually horses) and natural stuff (you know, tweety bird and the vast queensland countryside) I also have a pretty active lifestyle and do take my camera everywhere I go (yes even horse riding)

I have just started to get iterested in night photography which is why the k-1 peaked my interest....

As for workload/where I'm heading well I'm definitely (obviously) not a pro but do make a small income from my photos (just about covering expenses) I rely heavily on my camera for product photography (my parents own a saddlery).

Basically in this post I'm not asking anyone to decide for me, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on both cameras, what they like and don't like and anything else they know about them..... once bitten twice shy I don't want to get caught out again with another dud.

Ps. Apologies for the long winded post, it's late and I've had a few....

Last edited by kurrawinya; 01-16-2017 at 09:58 AM.
01-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is announcing a new camera next week. Maybe wait...
01-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax is announcing a new camera next week. Maybe wait...
Cool thanks I'll see how I go with the wait lol... I'm currently completely camera-less and rely pretty heavily on my camera for my parents business so given that Australia gets things light years behind everyone else I might still end up running with either of these...
01-16-2017, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely wait to see if they'll release or at least announce a new TOTL APS-C to replace both K3 bodies. A tilting screen would be a welcome addition. Overall, considering the type of photography you do, you're in a bind. For horses and landscapes chances are a FF K1 would be better, but for tweety birds taken with long lenses, APS-C is probably better (less cropping and higher pixel density on the subject photographed at the same distance). Another consideration, as I think you're aware, there are substantially more lenses available for APS-C than FF in K-mount, unless you go for legacy lenses which might or might not be available on the used market. But, any K-mount (or M42) lens can be used on pretty much any K-mount body, with some compromises.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.
01-16-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Wait to see what Pentax releases in a few weeks from now.

By the way, the latest K-50 firmware allows you to use the new KAF4 lenses that don't use the camera's aperture motor. The aperture motor is in the lens. There is only the 55-300mm PLM lens right now, but more will eventually come. The failed K-50 cameras now have a second chance at life. 🙂
01-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Definitely wait to see if they'll release or at leas announce a new TOTL APS-C to replace both K3 bodies. A tilting screen would be a welcome addition. Overall, considering the type of photography you do, you're in a bind. For horses and landscapes chances are a FF K1 would be better, but for tweety birds taken with long lenses, APS-C is probably better (less cropping and higher pixel density on the subject photographed at the same distance). Another consideration, as I think you're aware, there are substantially more lenses available for APS-C than FF in K-mount, unless you go for legacy lenses which might or might not be available on the used market. But, any K-mount (or M42) lens can be used on pretty much any K-mount body, with some compromises.
Thank you 🙂
Yes, I'm in a bit of a bind indeed lol!
If I get the k-1 I won't be able to get any lenses for a very very long time... so I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the k mount lenses will play the game.... I had been wondering if it would be some kind of sacrilege to get a ff camera and whack an ordinary lens on it....

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 01:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Wait to see what Pentax releases in a few weeks from now.

By the way, the latest K-50 firmware allows you to use the new KAF4 lenses that don't use the camera's aperture motor. The aperture motor is in the lens. There is only the 55-300mm PLM lens right now, but more will eventually come. The failed K-50 cameras now have a second chance at life. 🙂
Awesome!
It might be worth hanging onto then... will still need something in the meantime though, my new lenses are less than 12 months old and I worked pretty hard to get them so it would ve a shsme to have them mouldering in the cupboard...

The wait is going to kill me... we are just coming into storm season here in northern AUS which is when I take most of my photos for the year, already I've missed some one-in-a-lifetime photo opportunities and it's killing me lol.
01-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kurrawinya Quote
Thank you 🙂
Yes, I'm in a bit of a bind indeed lol!
If I get the k-1 I won't be able to get any lenses for a very very long time... so I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the k mount lenses will play the game.... I had been wondering if it would be some kind of sacrilege to get a ff camera and whack an ordinary lens on it....
But, as noted, any K-mount lens on any K-mount body. For those lenses that only cover APS-C format, you'd probably want to set a K1 to "crop" mode (there's an option for the camera to do this automatically when a such a lens is attached, or you can override that feature). In crop mode, a K1 is sort of like using a K5 with a 16mp sensor, but not quite because a K1 has features and options not available on a K5 or any other Pentax DSLR. One expects that a new flagship APS-C Pentax would have all the features of a K1, and maybe some new goodies.

01-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't normally suggest waiting, but given current rumours (which may turn out to be only rumours, or may have some substance), there's a possibility that a new model in the line-up will be announced very soon. At the very least, that might favourably impact new prices on the K-3II (and kits), and used prices on both the K-3 and K-3II. But, the new model may offer improvements and features that you'll really want. So, difficult though it may be, I'd try to hold out for a short while longer...
01-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First I'd forget about the K-1. If you don't have a budget for new lenses, the 16-50 will have to be used in crop mode and the 60-250 in full frame mode will have some strong vignetting unless you modify it for full frame use. So you would be buying a heavier fancier k-5ii in effect.

As for waiting... The main value in my mind is how this might push the prices on K-3 and K-3ii bodies. Personally while I think the k-3ii may come down, I think the k-3 isn't going to drop much if at all.

So overall I'd suggest that you pick up a k-3 since budget is a concern. I love mine, and I came to it from the k-50. I think despite any great revelations that a new body may offer you should save your money and buy a k-3 leaving more money for future lens purchases.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-16-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Removed Off Topic Content
01-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

For typical wide angle use (landscapes, architecture) the K-1 is superior to the K-3. For typical telephoto use (fast bursts of action, small animals where you need to crop) the K-3 begins to pull ahead. Both are excellent cameras and for most photos you won't be able to tell which camera took the photo.

Your 60-250 is reportedly capable of full frame images. Some here have written about a minor modification to remove a small part from the back of the lens that causes shadowing on the K-1.

Your 16-50 is not full frame. You can use it in crop mode but that doesn't get the most out of the K-1. I highly recommend the DFA 28-105 as a K-1 walkaround lens; great image quality, compact, sharp, inexpensive full frame lens. In order to go wider than 28mm on FF there's the expensive and massive 15-30, several Samyang/Rokinon/Bower manual primes, and out of production used lenses.

As everyone's commenting above, there are hints of a new model coming soon. See where that falls in the product lineup and when it's expected to reach shelves.
01-16-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Firstly, buy a few lenses(used on ebay/gumtree) with aperture rings...that way, you can change it manually on the K50 AND they will work on FF.

Secondly, get a K1....its a big jump from a K50 red which feels like a toy(but as fast as a Ferrari) when you pick it up after a K1.

The 60-250 when modified is getting good results according to owners of it and K1, 16-50 may be ok in 1:1 crop on K1(?).
01-16-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The k-1 is amazing, but if you only have crappy lenses for it, it's not for you. (I'm not saying your lenses are crap, just pointing out that they aren't ideal for the k-1).
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kurrawinya Quote
extra $1,200 (AUD) or so

IF, you look on ebay....theres K3 and K3ii bodies for under 1000 A$(plenty in Japan)....the K1 from dcexpert(ozzie distributor/2 yr warranty) is A$ 2729 delivered.
01-16-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

My experience with a rented, unmodified, 60-250 on my K1 was very positive. Some vignetting/shadowing happens a bit beyond 200mm but between 60-200mm it ranks with the Canon 70-200mm F4 L series lens, which is widely recognized as one of the sharpest zooms available.
01-16-2017, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the other question is why you want the k-1. If there are things you can't do with the k-50 when out was working, what are they? If it is just a desire to not feel like you should have purchased up, then maybe... But it seems like a waste. More weight, more money, less megapixels with your 16-50...