Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pixel Shift

Does anyone know how to find which images are pixel shift without having to find the file and look at the size? I shot a bunch of images and on some I used pixel shift. I don't see any indication of which ones they are without looking at the file size. I looked in Lightroom and the Silkypix software.

01-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I can see (XnView) is that there are four sets of data in the EXIF. This is looking at the image on a PC. On the camera, looking at the image with detailed information, the 'pixel shift ON' icon shows.
01-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Pixel shift really is something the collect bits of sharpness when the lens itself out-resolve the sensor. On the K1, I can generally see a difference between pixel shift and non pixel shift with the 100 macro stopped down. With zooms, I see no difference and due to the constrains of pixel shift shooting, images are, more often than not, sharper without pixel shift than with pixel shift. That said, on the K1, pixel shift is a work around to get EFCS in OVF mode, the tick is to do a pixel shift capture handheld and disable pixel shift when converting the raw into jpegs; this way, you get tack sharp images free of mirror and shutter induced vibrations, without having to use live view. If you use a K3II, or K70, using pixel shift and discarding it in post processing does the same: you get electronic shutter with OVF and you can shot hand held because the 3 extra pixels shifted frames are discarded so there is no motion blur in the resulting image.
01-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pixel shift really is something the collect bits of sharpness when the lens itself out-resolve the sensor. On the K1, I can generally see a difference between pixel shift and non pixel shift with the 100 macro stopped down. With zooms, I see no difference and due to the constrains of pixel shift shooting, images are, more often than not, sharper without pixel shift than with pixel shift. That said, on the K1, pixel shift is a work around to get EFCS in OVF mode, the tick is to do a pixel shift capture handheld and disable pixel shift when converting the raw into jpegs; this way, you get tack sharp images free of mirror and shutter induced vibrations, without having to use live view. If you use a K3II, or K70, using pixel shift and discarding it in post processing does the same: you get electronic shutter with OVF and you can shot hand held because the 3 extra pixels shifted frames are discarded so there is no motion blur in the resulting image.
How do you know a lens is out-resolving the sensor? Are there specific tests for that? I am really curious about that!
I thought about using Pixel-Shift with my old gems (K 35 3.5 and K 28 3.5, maybe stopped down) and would really like to know if they can outresolve the sensor (At open aperture or maybe they can't at all, no matter how closed the aperture is?)

01-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he's referring more to the applications of zooms and how those applications don't overlap with PSR constraints (tripod and motionless scene).

I wouldn't say the K-1 out resolves those old lenses, but you may not be thrilled when pixel peeping in the corners and edges. There may be more aberrations than in a modern lens, too.
01-18-2017, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The exif quality setting is 7. Use a viewer or tool that can display this.
See
Pentax Tags
01-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

If you use PDCU, you can find that information in Quality description.

01-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That said, on the K1, pixel shift is a work around to get EFCS in OVF mode, the tick is to do a pixel shift capture handheld and disable pixel shift when converting the raw into jpegs; this way, you get tack sharp images free of mirror and shutter induced vibrations, without having to use live view.
The mirror still has to flip and the shutter has to open, so how does that work? Is there a delay?
01-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although looking at the size of each file is a pain, how about listing all the files (either in the directory or listed via a search) and sorting by size?
01-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The mirror still has to flip and the shutter has to open, so how does that work? Is there a delay?
:-) yes there is a delay between the mirror lock up and the mechanical shutter, the delay is long enough to avoid vibration and short enough so that OVF framing isn't changing much between pressing the shutter and the first frame. Too bad that Ricoh did not implement a third mode of pixel shift without frames 2,3 and 4.
01-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Butch5 Quote
Does anyone know how to find which images are pixel shift without having to find the file and look at the size? I shot a bunch of images and on some I used pixel shift. I don't see any indication of which ones they are without looking at the file size. I looked in Lightroom and the Silkypix software.
I'd like something like this as well. A while ago I posted this as feedback for Ricoh somewhere here.

However, my workaround is to rename pixelshift images before import. First I sort them for size and then do a batch-rename to add "_PXS" at the end of the file name. Then that's easy to see in Capture one and DCU.