Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Do you just use a case for your camera or use a camera bag? or both?

Just curious, i use a camera case when walking around, but at times I use a camera bag with a sleeve inside the bag depending on what the photo situation is. I don't like the backpack type bags, a little too much. Do you like anything specific? thanks

01-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't use a case, I just keep everything in a bag--a couple of bags, actually--but I only carry with me what I feel I will need for the particular situation. More often than not, I just carry the camera, with the appropriate lens attached, slung over my shoulder by its strap. I had a vinyl soft case for one of my Minolta 35mm SLRs but I found it to be awfully cumbersome.
01-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really care for inserts, I tried the Timbuk2 camera insert with a large messenger bag, but it took too long to get to my gear out, and it didn't really have the ergonomic support to protect my back and shoulders.

For a while now, I've used the Clik Elite ProBody Sport with Computer Sleeve. It's a 20L side-loading backpack with separated camera and daypack storage. The best thing about it is I load it up with a water bladder and a laptop at the same time, since they're given separate pockets. It's main downfall is it gets cramped if I try to take my K-1 and F-FA* 70-200 somewhere. APS-C and film set ups fit perfectly in most cases.

More recently, I backed Peak Design's kickstarter for their new Everyday bags. The 10L messenger bag does a great job of handling my K-1 or PZ-1p and some primes. If you have a capture clip, having a place to hang your camera on the bag is handy. It also works great for bringing drinks and snacks to a party, using the dividers to keep some things from crushing others.

I've used the 20L tote to bring my lighting gear places, and it works great for that.

Finally, I got the 30L backpack. It's a little bulky, but there's storage on both sides of the bag, and...it's really a monster of a bag. I wrote a review on it. I do wish it had dedicated water bladder storage, but they did a good job of managing side-loading access, ergonomics in a large bag, and maximum storage.
01-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for travel with gear for protection (airplane). Otherwise I usually just carry my camera with the lens I am utilizing, SD cards, two extra batteries, and a plastic bag to put my camera in in case it rains and the lens I am using is not weather resistant (example Sigma 150-500). Cargo pants come in useful for that type of activity. If I have to carry a tripod and some other things, I have a Kelty Redwing rucksack type of backpack. As far as my camera/lens goes, the neck strap is around my neck and the camera/lens are in my hands, and if the precipitation starts, I put it in my plastic bag.

01-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have classic shoulder, sling and backpack bags, a range of sizes for each type, especially the backpacks. What serves depends on what I'm carrying and what kind of photography I'm doing. Wildlife means big lenses and a lot of equipment, and backpacks have the capacity and are easiest on the body when there's a lot of weight to carry. For urban shooting, the classic shoulder bag with minimal equipment is best. My sling bags have fallen out of use lately, but as you might expect, they're good for travel/touring when I want a bit more than local in-town, but not equipment for a full-fledged wildlife outing.
01-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I now use mostly just Domke F2 Original bags for my equipment. I used LowePro, but had issues with their plastic connectors breaking. I tried a backpack....but but had a couple instances where equipment fell out. Partially my fault as I like to leave bags open in the car for quick retrieval of equipment. But when I needed to grab the backpack fast...it didn't work for me, as does a top opener, traditional bag. The backpacks just seem to have covers that open far too wide for me.

But that's me. So far the Domke F2's are working very well...tough connectors, excellent straps, heavy duty canvas...durable, reliable, well designed. After almost 50 years of trying camera containers ranging from aluminum suitcase types..to hard case...to backpacks...the F-2's are my favourite.
01-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Bag for the dSLR.

Cases for my film cameras, though usually only half-case when actually shooting.

Steve

01-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use an over-the-shoulder camera bag. Sometimes I leave the bag in the car and just carry the camera over my shoulder, but the bag is always somewhere near.
01-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #9

I alternate bags depending on situation.

One lens kind of day? I'll just use my Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home and the camera/lens combo.

Need to be discrete? I have a nondescript shoulder bag and sewn in padded dividers for incognito carry.

Need to have options? I have a Lowepro shoulder bag that carries everything.

I also have a Q10 with 02 lens that I keep in an optech neoprene case that I bring everywhere. I keep it in my backpack and have it with me every day.
01-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep a K-1, the three FA Limiteds, the D FA28~105 and an AF540FGZ in a Domke F3 canvas bag and just pick up that bag and go most of the time. I also have a LowePro Nova shoulder bag that I load with a film camera and selected lenses when I want to shoot with one of them. I keep my entire Q10 kit in a Domke F5.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
01-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have gone through many bag brands and types from holsters to backpacks and full size camera bags. I now have two favorites, the Domke Chronicle (a variation of the F-2) for traveling and when I need to carry more than one camera and several lenses. My other favorite is the Domke F-803 as a day bag. This is a narrow satchel type shoulder bag that I can carry under my arm, which is a godsend in crowded areas, and it can easily hold my K-3 with 55-300 PLM, and DA 15, 21 and 40 limiteds and still have space for filters and accessories. It seems nowadays cameras are carried in some sort of bag, I do not see where you can get fitted camera cases, such as the leather ones available with film SLR's back in the 1970's. The closest option these days is a holster but these only accommodate the camera and one lens.

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-22-2017 at 08:55 AM.
01-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #12

I have LowePro fastpack 250. It's very good backpack. Not to big, but at the same time I can take my K-S2 with Tamron 70-200 attached, flash, and two primes. And there is still a separate pocket for other things. It has a laptop pocket so I can take my gear when going to work and have everything in one place.

01-24-2017, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like fitted cases and always buy one when available.
Sometimes all you need/want is your camera with lens,
and a fitted case provides the requisite protection.

I have tried numerous camera bags of all sizes.
My favorite are the classic canvas Domke bags.

Chris
01-26-2017, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have always used a bag, preferably one giving me the choice between carrying it by the handle or carrying it over my shoulder. I've had various bags over the years, but frankly my favorite was the one that was kitted with the Canon film camera I bought in 1995. I used it with the several Canon cameras I used for the next twenty years, and although it is now starting to fray, it would still meet my needs if I wouldn't feel odd carrying a Pentax system in a Canon bag. Normally I use it to store the limited Canon equipment I retained when I returned to Pentax in June 2015, but I repacked it this morning to show that it could carry my current kit of a K-30, Sigma 10-20mm lens, and Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens. In addition to those compartments, it has a zipped compartment in the lid that I used mostly to hold filters, and a side film compartment that I used to hold batteries during the digital age. The latches which hold the lid closed were reliable as well as quick to operate. In addition, it has a zippered compartment on the back I used to carry a small notebook or any tickets, brochures, etc I picked up along the way.

In the past twenty months I've had trouble finding one of this size and capabilities that is also durable.

Last edited by reh321; 01-26-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added sntence about compartment on back
01-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I now use mostly just Domke F2 Original bags for my equipment.
I bought my first Domke F2 decades ago when I started shooting professionally. At the time it was the only bag in Jim Domke's lineup and he was marketing them by word of mouth. Somehow Pop Photo's Bert Keppler got hold of one and wrote about it glowingly so I bought one sight-unseen.

For me it was perfect. Held two Nikon FM2n bodies with MD-12 motors, up to 6 lenses depending on length, plus a Vivitar 283 in one end pocket and a brick of film in the other.

I never used a case because getting the case off to change a roll of film was deadly. No pro I knew used a form-fitted camera case (often called "speed cases" even thought there was nothing speedy about them).

Nowadays I travel lighter -- often it's just the camera with one lens attached hanging off my left shoulder.