Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Loyalty is ultimately to the mount and how deeply invested in lenses I am. Hence Pentax, which I also find easy to use.

I did wander down the A7r/A6000 route for a while before the K-1. Regrettably I must say. Should have waited. Going to lose a lot of money over this.

But now having time (since job loss and illness) I can finally start disposing of all this surplus equipment.

Won't wander again. Learnt that lesson the hard way. Just hope Pentax stays in business.

These days I don't really worry about kit, only whether I have enough light.

01-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For me a camera is a tool.
I have Canon, Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax and each one has a different sensor format so each one is a different tool for a different purpose.
Brand loyalty is pretty much a marketing humbug - I am "loyal" to my family, friends and pets not to a tool.
Yea, I agree. I also own several different brand and see it as a tool. I would jump ships if the camera does what I need it to do. I know for some, people invested very deep on the system with the lenses and its hard to jump ships.
01-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thesia26 Quote
I know for some, people invested very deep on the system with the lenses and its hard to jump ships.
And no one is more aware of this than the marketing people whose primary purpose is to maintain market differentiation.
01-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #49
Pentaxian

I really don't have a brand preference as far as cameras go. I do prefer cameras with IBIS versus in lens stabilization for the most part, but I'd still shoot a Canon or a Nikon if at least all the glass that I plan on using on those bodies were stabilized. I don't care if it's a DSLR or a mirrorless, whether its an APS-C or M43, as long as it can give me good images to at least ISO 6400. Full frame is not for me. The glass for that gets waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive, especially in the long zoom department. It just seems too expensive to own full frame, especially when one doesn't shoot photos for a living. However, if I ever do decide to go full frame, more than likely Canon would be my first pick, followed by Nikon.

Basically, I gravitate towards a manufacturer that offers a lot of bang for the buck in their camera models. Pentax has been one of the few manufacturers that give you a lot of features for not so much money, but Olympus & Panasonic have also been tempting me lately. They have some nice glass & some of their bodies offer 5-axis IBIS that works incredibly well.

In a few days from now Pentax will release a new body & I'm looking forward to finding out what it is. Hopefully it's the replacement for the K-3II. If that is not the K-3II replacement, I'm hoping that the replacement is revealed sometime during CP+ in late February. I'd really like to stay with Pentax & start buying some more serious Pentax glass, but I'll be holding off from buying anything else until then.

01-23-2017, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No brand loyalty for me.
The fact that Pentax is smaller than Nikon and Canon is a major factor in forums like this.
I don't find Nikon or Canon forums nearly as personal or engaging.

The Marketplace here is where I've purchased 99% of my camera gear. I started with Pentax for WR and ergonomics at a pricepoint that was appealing to a college student.
The other brands have features I don't want and omit features I desire.

I'll stick with Pentax until I see something that warrants a total sell-off to switch mounts.

Almost happened with the D500, but the cost to replace everything I currently own with Nikon equivalents would rival my student loans! (not really, but it's still a lot!)

I'm just glad to have found PentaxForums!
01-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'm just glad to have found PentaxForums!
+1 This site and its community are fantastic. I never seen anything like this for Canon or Nikon.
01-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
+1 This site and its community are fantastic. I never seen anything like this for Canon or Nikon.
I have to agree, when i switched to Fuji i flipped over to the various Fuji forums and never really clicked so for anything photo related as opposed to gear i'm here again . the Fuji forums were actually pretty decent, much better than the nikon and canon ones i've seen

01-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Pentaxians are a rare breed.

I've seen so many forums with members who make an account, get their one question answered and disappear to never be heard from again.
I'm sure that exists here as well, but I feel like many PF members are honestly interested in helping each other out...

There's proof in the threads!

I had a member send me a spare K-3 connection ring and buffer at no cost because they saw a thread I started asking where to buy one.
There's a donated 50mm lens travelling around the world for Pentax users to share and post their experiences.
There are members in the marketplace donating used gear to other members in need. I've passed a few items on myself.

I haven't found a system yet that would justify me jumping ship.
But if that ever happens, I know I'll keep my profile here and maintain donations to keep PF alive.

Such a great resource!
01-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I always used to use Nikon but then bought a Fujifilm S3 Pro and later S5 Pro. In some ways that was a halfway house as they use Nikon bodies.

I was blown away by the tonal quality of the Fuji sensors used in those cameras.

Fuji got out of the DSLR business and I found that only Pentax could match the tonal quality I was getting from Fuji so I have been A loyal customer ever since despite having lots of Nikon bodies, lenses and flashes.
01-23-2017, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes. Brand loyalty. I bought Pentax originally because of budgetary constraints. But, I also like to be a bit different. And I do tend to have brand loyalty. (7 Fords later!) I have a friend who feels that way about Jeeps. I have long used a Landrover for serious offroading. But now, almost all 4x4's have gone "soft". Fancy airbag suspensions, lots of computers, etc. All stuff that will not help you one iota when the electronics is drowned in a river some distance from civilisation. So, I see myself becoming less brand loyal on a 4x4 front as the aim, after all, is to have the right tool for the job.

So, if Ford stopped making half decent cars, and if Landrovers became useless offroad and if Pentax cameras were no match for the competition, then I'd change. But, otherwise? No. On the Landrover front - at least with old ones, I need not worry about fancy electronics to get wet. As for new ones - I can't afford those anyway.

Pentax has served me well over these last 30 years. If they keep making decent cameras and lenses, then I see that relationship continuing for another 30.
01-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I bought into Pentax with pretty much no experience in photography.
Just seemed like the best option for me and similar priced Canikons seemed to be toys compared to my K-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And I do tend to have brand loyalty. (7 Fords later!)
We have three dead vehicles on our property... all Fords.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But now, almost all 4x4's have gone "soft". Fancy airbag suspensions, lots of computers, etc. All stuff that will not help you one iota when the electronics is drowned in a river some distance from civilisation. So, I see myself becoming less brand loyal on a 4x4 front as the aim, after all, is to have the right tool for the job.
Sounds like you need a Unimog..
01-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If you've ever cut your grass and found a car...
01-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good man!

Sounds like you need a Unimog..
I do!
01-24-2017, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I always used to use Nikon but then bought a Fujifilm S3 Pro and later S5 Pro. In some ways that was a halfway house as they use Nikon bodies.

I was blown away by the tonal quality of the Fuji sensors used in those cameras.

Fuji got out of the DSLR business and I found that only Pentax could match the tonal quality I was getting from Fuji so I have been A loyal customer ever since despite having lots of Nikon bodies, lenses and flashes.
My first DSLRs were the Fujifilm S1 and S2. The Foveon sensor can still be found in the Sigma SD1 Merrill 46MP APS-C DSLR. Not cheap, but it is nice that there still is more than a choice between the Canon and Sony CMOS sensors in DSLRs.