Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #16
Forum Member

I have equipment that meets my needs, why spend time to think about it.

01-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm loyal to whichever camera brand offers me what I want and need in high quality, good value products. Pentax does that extremely well, and I really like the user interface too. I also have Sony and Sony-based equipment that works better for me in some areas. My investment in native lenses might discourage me from ever switching, but if I truly needed to switch to another brand or brands to get what I need, I'd have no problem in doing so...
My opinion, too. Camera and lenses are tools. Just that. Brand loyalty it's a limiting factor if you are in search of a different tool that does exist in a particular brand.
01-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
I have equipment that meets my needs, why spend time to think about it.
Exactly...
And if something is really not meeting my needs, I go on line and find out what has what I'm missing. A time and place for everything. And given the general excellence of modern camera systems, there are very few systems you can't get what you want out of.

I happen to shoot mostly Pentax, out of force of habit, and because for what I do, most of my shooting is in the great outdoors and WR is critical, I don't think anyone else is any better.
01-21-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #19
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax " loyalty " for me means checking what Pentax has to offer 1st, before checking what other brands have. So far, all my needs ( not that many !! ) have been met by genuine, or 3rd party equivalent equipment.

01-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #20

Severa systems now - mostly bought used . ex-dem or clear out and most with little value to sell .

PENTAX K10D originally as manual DSLR . Last month - new, warranted , Pentax K-S1 , 35f2.5 @ an irresistible £220 which has blown me away with it's crystal clear finder and screen plus excellent IQ.
plus Kit zooms and FA 35-80/55-200

SONY A290 + mint A390 [ for waist level finder and unique live view with second sensor ] Kit zoom , 35 f1.8 and Minolta 35-80 - my favourite 52-120 zoom of architectural details and cars . Liking those CCD rich colours . Not liking the CLC SONY A35 , despite the greater sensitivity , ripe for disposal .

One off LEICA M8 / CV 35mm f2.8 / vintage Summitar , inheritance fuelled , overshadowed by the X-Pro 1 below .

LEICA Digilux 3 / Panasonic L1 [ deranged finder 4/3rds DSLRs] with Olympus lenses [cheap] .
I take them out just for pleasure , 7mp is fine and I love the style and handling .

FUJI XF1 compact super stylish i-Phone substitute and recently FUJI X-PRO 1 / 27mm - band new @ £320 - perfect discrete holiday/street/hand bag camera. I have no intention of adding lenses to this camera-it works perfectly as a large compact !! LOL

i will now stick to Pentax by default , as I prefer a DSLR and 4/3rds and Sony DSLRs are dead .

Newbie dee

Not much consistency here then !!
01-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I try to remain loyal to the brands of cameras most of my lenses fit!

Chris
I'm where Chris is, more or less. I consider Pentax the distinguished granddaddy of a family of cameras and lenses, not all of which have the Pentax surname, but which share compatibilities, cameras like my first film SLR that was a Ricoh, though the second lens I got for it was a Super Takumar. I have two Pentax DLRS now, but my first point-and-shoot digital cameras were not Pentax, and I even have Nikon bridge camera...though its been gathering dust lately. I have a small collection of Konica AR-mount equimpment, and a variety of other old cameras of various kinds, but the main collection of lenses are m42 or K-mounts, some of which are Pentax. The lenses want to try out any digital or film body they fit that I can put before them.
01-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Forum Member

i decided against brand loyalty after the 49ers traded joe montana. if theres no loyalty to an actual person who brings your club four champioships, why should there be loyalty to inanimate objects (and the faceless corporations who make them) that simply do (or often dont do) what you paid for them to do? yeah, a bit tongue in cheek, but then again a bit not...

01-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #23
Forum Member

For me it's not the brand. It's the model. K-3s....I'm just not right when it comes to K-3's........
01-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty66 Quote
Do many people actually switch brands or use multiple brands at the same time?
Perhaps to meet needs that their current system cannot. I am getting into more video and Pentax does not have the video capabilities I need. So I am forced to look at other brands. I like my K1. It is the best still camera I have ever owned. So I am facing a dilemma, add a second brand of equipment or switch completely. Switching is going to be costly. What to do. So far the idea of a hybrid two system solution make sense since I can use my Pentax glass on the other system (mirrorless).

I do not mind staying loyal as long as the company shows promise of filling the missing pieces. IMHO, I think Pentax is too far behind in the video game to catch up.
01-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

When recently considering a new dSLR it didn't once occur to me to consider anything other than Pentax despite having respect for may other brands. It's not just about already having lenses etc as these are easily sold/replaces nowadays on eBay etc.

Is camera brand loyalty stronger that something like the Windows/Mac debate ? Do many people actually switch brands or use multiple brands at the same time?
I feel somewhat attached to Pentax - they are the underdog of the camera world, which I believe influenced me somewhat when buying my first DSLR (the K-r). Years later I got the K3 and love it. It represents a lot of what I generally like - a bit old school, a somewhat rugged, edgy design, compared to the boring, rounded curves of Canons and Nikons. It is a good companion to my outdoor pursuits, being weather sealed.

But as I progress in my photographic journey, my priorities have somewhat changed. I have become more and more interested in areas that Pentax traditionally does not excel in, like sports (AF.C). For now I am pretty happy with the K3, and I will not have the money to replace it for a couple of years. But whereas a year or two ago I was absolutely convinced that my next camera will be a Pentax, now I am not so sure any more. I still prefer Pentax - given two cameras that are broadly similarly capable, I'd always pick the Pentax. But if in two to three years time Pentax has not got a grip on their AF game, then I will probably jump ship
01-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Equipment and money aside...

I've completely changed systems 5 or 6 times in the last 30 years.

Each time I switched, it took me months to fully master the new equipment. With film, it was not such a big deal. But now with digital, things are so complicated even the 100 page camera operating manual doesn't adequately cover it all!

It's been about 2 years since switching from Nikon and Fuji X to mostly Pentax. Just now beginning to finally feel one with my Pentax equipment.
01-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do many people actually switch brands or use multiple brands at the same time?
Yes. I know of quite a few people (including my dad) who just go to Best Buy and get whatever is on sale when they need a new camera. I don't think he has had the same brand twice. The problem with that is they never use a camera / brand long enough to really figure it out. So they are always looking for the new best thing.

I personally use multiple brands depending on what works for the job at hand. Currently that is Pentax and a Sony Rx100. I have looked quite seriously at other brands of DSLR but always ended up with Pentax. I actually had a D610 in my cart at Costco for about 15 minutes before I put it back on the shelf. Ended up with the K-1 so I'm glad I waited.
01-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #28

I changed systems three times last year, and honestly, am contemplating a switch again.

I know, I know. Don't blame the gear.

There are definitely dead-to-me systems. I know that I will never go back to shooting full-size 4/3 DSLRs or even m4/3 - there's just no development with the sensor with the former, and I really need an optical viewfinder, so the latter is basically out. With that, most mirror less systems are out...

I would be interested in getting a Fuji X100T, now that they just released a 24MP update, but I'd really miss the flexibility of interchangeable lenses...

At the same time, my current kit is quite nice and meets all my needs...

It's nice to have choices and the freedom to choose, no matter what our reasons are.

Brand loyalty? What's that?
01-21-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #29

I am loyal to companies that I share a compatible design philosophy with. As an architect I understand how design influences products. Design that focuses on providing the best product for the customer values and enjoyment inspires loyalty for me. I have no loyalty when I see products designed for the up sale and planned obsolescence.

I get the sense that Pentax is designed for my enjoyment of photography. I have lenses I bought 35 years ago I can still use. I like that. I have added auto focus lenses because I like that.
01-21-2017, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would say itʻs like politics or religion. Some folks never switch while others choose the flavor that best suits their needs. Iʻm not saying one is right or wrong, and Iʻm not saying that there is a correlation between being loyal to one sort of thing means you are also loyal to another sort of thing.

There are many reasons why anyone would stay loyal and there are many reasons why someone would switch.

For me, I have found that I am very open-minded to many choices, but that I am very close-minded about another set of choices. Some of my close-mindedness has a logic and reason to it, and some of it is either emotional or whimsical.