Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K1 or it's successor, I'm preparing best I can by attempting to only purchase full frame lenses going forward. I want to maximize the lens investment and be able to move forward on sensor size, and I know at some point I won't be able to resist a full frame purchase. I'd love to see a successor with a faster focus and faster continuous shutter rate. Enjoy chasing birds, and a little extra speed would be nice.

01-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
More lenses (primes) is what's next. Once they're all released, it may be time to start speculating about a new body
Any idea what those might be?

I would LOVE to see some more Amigos. A 20mm f1.8 with the same build as the other three? OMG yes please!
01-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
I couldn't imaging stitching a few k1 photos together. My computer would die.

I'm waiting 8 years and picking up a second hand k1 at a steal
Haha, I can stitch tons of K-1 photos together on my laptop, but my iPad can't load the resulting full-size photo from Flickr, it just crashes.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/285/31815155196_68d29957c2_o_d.jpg
01-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Any idea what those might be?

I would LOVE to see some more Amigos. A 20mm f1.8 with the same build as the other three? OMG yes please!
We have a pretty good idea:

2016 Pentax Full Frame Lens Roadmaps - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to test reports, there were some deficiencies that could be addressed in a number of tweeks and more substantial improvements, of say AF, video, jpeg engine, etc, that could be made in the K-1 mkII that should not require a body re-design, and would be cost-effective. Some advancements were implemented in the K-5II and IIs without a costly body change . I cannot see how going to the Sony 42mp sensor would provide any real advantage, but then I do not know anything about that sensor. But even that could be done, I presume, in the same body design coming out as a mk II.
01-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #36

If they made a K1 with more FPS, it would be an amazing accomplishment.
01-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
According to test reports, there were some deficiencies that could be addressed in a number of tweeks and more substantial improvements, of say AF, video, jpeg engine, etc, that could be made in the K-1 mkII that should not require a body re-design, and would be cost-effective. Some advancements were implemented in the K-5II and IIs without a costly body change . I cannot see how going to the Sony 42mp sensor would provide any real advantage, but then I do not know anything about that sensor. But even that could be done, I presume, in the same body design coming out as a mk II.
Sony's 42MP sensor is not only about increase in no of pixels, somehow it give better detail.and colour in high ISO. Maybe it's due to BSI or because it's newer, I don't know the reason. I can see it clearly between my A7RII and K1. In fact, I'm sure that Pentax would do better with that sensor than Sony can, in terms of DR and high ISO performance.

01-23-2017, 03:13 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I keep hoping that some maker will provide an accessory control grip to replicate the right hand controls. There is a need, both for lefties and for those with limited use of their right arm/hand.

Steve
I am not only left handed but have a limitation on my right hand making it awkward to hold a modern DSLR with recessed grips. For me the old, flat front cameras and rangefinders are the cameras that I can hold with confidence.
Thougt about buying the K-1 and make a wooden adopted grip for it (I am a cabinet maker so it would be easy... LOL.)
01-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My FF camera expectation roadmap:

2016: K-1

2017:
- Higher end FF. 4K video, more AF points, faster AF, faster burst, more features. Maybe the 42 Mp Sony sensor.
- K-1 gets a small price cut and becomes the somewhat cheaper FF.

2018:
- A K-1 replacement. Minuses: one less wheel, no GPS, only tilt screen. Pluses: Larger top LCD, lower weight, 4K video, faster burst, some new features, same price as K-1 or a small price cut. Most likely a yet unknown new sensor.

I will probably buy a used K-1 after the higher end model are released or wait for a K-1 replacement in 2018. Depends on income, prices and how much I like the different models.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-23-2017 at 06:20 AM.
01-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
We've got d810 killer out and doing good on sales.
Maybe d500 killer for next model?
4k video?
01-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by sjyoon20904 Quote
We've got d810 killer out and doing good on sales.
Maybe d500 killer for next model?
4k video?
D810 is already old, Pentax should target D900.
01-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
K-1 version stripped from gimmicky features
What are those?

make FF cheaper for a wider audience?
It's already probably the cheapest FF available. Making it cheaper would destroy margins, kill sales of the K-1 AND the K-3 II (or whatever APS-C flagship we get), and make little sense.

There is no reason to own a full frame camera if you don't want advanced features.

The K-1 in its current form is too much for me feature-wise. That what keeps me from buying it.
You're not forced to use all those features. I'm guessing what's keeping you from buying it is the price.
01-23-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #43

Photos: Gallery
K2 and it'll be a mountain of a camera 😉