Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

First firmware update advice.

I have the K3II and K-1 that both need the most recent Firmware update.
Since Ive never done this before I decided to double check.
Is it as simple as it seems ? Just download the recent update on my PC , save to desktop , open the zip file , copy the Bin File to a formatted SD card , and insert it (per complete instructions) into the camera ?
It seems all this update requires is just the BIN file ?
It just seems way too easy. Did I miss something ? I don't want to Brick my Camera.

01-22-2017, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I have the K3II and K-1 that both need the most recent Firmware update.
Since Ive never done this before I decided to double check.
Is it as simple as it seems ? Just download the recent update on my PC , save to desktop , open the zip file , copy the Bin File to a formatted SD card , and insert it (per complete instructions) into the camera ?
It seems all this update requires is just the BIN file ?
It just seems way too easy. Did I miss something ? I don't want to Brick my Camera.
Yup, it's that simple. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and don't turn your camera off until it says "complete". To initiate the update, press the menu button while powering on the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it's that simple. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and don't turn your camera off until it says "complete". To initiate the update, press the menu button while powering on the camera.
Thanks ! Its just so easy I was overthinking it and a bit scared.
01-22-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

" don't turn your camera off until it says "complete".
Watch for it carefully. On my K3 it flashes by very quickly and I missed it so I had to wait about 10 min and then very nervously turn the camera Off not knowing for sure that it was indeed complete. It was.

01-22-2017, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
" don't turn your camera off until it says "complete".
Watch for it carefully. On my K3 it flashes by very quickly and I missed it so I had to wait about 10 min and then very nervously turn the camera Off not knowing for sure that it was indeed complete. It was.
ALL Done. That was too easy.
01-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

Yea, its great!
01-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Glad it went okay. The first time didn't end so well for me but I got my 'mojo' back on three subsequent ones.

03-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3II firmware

I have a K3II why do I need this Firmware update?
03-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You need the K-3II firmware v1.10 update only if you're planning to use the DA 55-300 RE PLM. Otherwise the camera is fully functional as it is.
Some (unnamed) bugs are fixed as well, so it's not a bad idea to update the firmware anyway. Just be careful about it.
03-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3II Firmware

Thank you, I think I will do it
04-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #11

Having a few problems or doing something wrong, i do as mentioned in the above posts to copy the bin file to my card, i put the card in my camera, switch on, go to the menu for firmware update and nothing, no option to update

Any help appreciated
Tim

P.S The update is for K-S2 .
04-19-2017, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
Having a few problems or doing something wrong, i do as mentioned in the above posts to copy the bin file to my card, i put the card in my camera, switch on, go to the menu for firmware update and nothing, no option to update

Any help appreciated
Tim

I don't have a K-S2, nor have I ever handled one, but based on my own experiences with other, older Pentax cameras, here are a few things to check:
  • Do you have the right firmware for your model camera?
  • What firmware version is already installed?
  • Double-check the instructions included in the .zip file along with the .bin file and make sure you're following them to the letter.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be insulting by asking these very basic questions. It's just that in my experience, the devil is very much in the details.
04-19-2017, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the .bin file is outside any folders. It must be in the root directory not in the dcim folder nor any other folders on the sd card.
04-19-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote

Any help appreciated
Tim

I just did my K-S2 last week and it goes as stated above. Mine was at 1.10, afterwards I deleted the bin file from my SD card.
04-19-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #15

Hi Guys
I finally managed to do the update, i was trying to do it the Canon way instead of the Pentax way. I held the menu button while switching the power on and the option to update popped up on my screen . When i downloaded the update from the Ricoh site there was no readme file, just the bin file.

Thanks for the help and advice
Tim