Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I second the idea of the K-5iis. Great body, and inexpensive.

01-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We also know the feeling, medical bills and a $3500 car repair bill.. and our refinance and just hit a major roadblock. I'm down to the NX300* because there's no market for orphaned Samsung gear.
You have great advice here already. The K-s1 gave up a few too many features for most here (even image rotataion), but the 20Mpx sensor is really nice. The K-s2 has everything though, even swivel screen and Wifi.

If you really want to save, you can go retro with a gently-used CCD camera - *I forgot my other orphan (Oly E500) that I keep for that. The K10/100 types might set your feature awareness back too far though.
01-25-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for your situation, been there and it's no fun at all.

+1 for the K-3. It's not that much more, in terms of cost, than the K-5iis and its output is great in my opinion, although opinions can differ. I own both cameras so I have a good frame of reference. Going pro, the K-3 would serve you well.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 01-25-2017 at 01:45 PM.
01-25-2017, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I'm still recovering from a period of un(der)-employment that lasted from 2007-2012 so I still watch every penny--or at least most of them, anyway. There's a lot of good, slightly older gear out there at affordable prices that would allow you to once again use your beloved lenses. That's why, as you can see from my signature below, I've been shooting like it's 2009. Like you, I'm only shooting for myself these days so I can easily get by with more modest specs and the more modest price tags that go with them.

I agree with the idea of perhaps selling off surplus gear to cover the cost of your new camera. Part with what you don't really need to facilitate acquiring what you do. I plan this spring to triage through the gear I've acquired on the cheap over the past few years to pare it down to a more manageable assortment of favorite and most useful pieces.

Last edited by E-man; 01-25-2017 at 10:11 AM.
01-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some people really like their K5ii's; I'd definitely recommend the K3, it's no slouch and the AF is quite good.
01-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
2016 was really hard on me and my family. The Alberta economy crashed, and even though I did not work in the oil fields I felt it pretty hard. I got laid off in April, months after signing a deal on building a new house, and in desperation to not loose everything I sold as much as I could. I kept my Nikon/lighting kit as it was the only thing making me money last summer as I searched for a new full time job (bank needed it so I could keep my approval on the house). So between that and $40,000 worth of unexpected financial hurdles I had to sell off pretty much everything I had so that I still could have a roof over my families head.

Now that we have been in the new house for a few months and things are starting to stabilize I'm looking at everything and I'm really missing taking photos for me. I got arthritis and it's acting up really bad, so my Nikon only comes out to play if I'm getting paid. Seriously, I don't open that case/bag without money being involved. Which sucks because I love taking photos of my growing boy and wife. I also don't like hauling it on walks and hikes as well... D810 + 24-70mm f2.8 is not exactly light or compact.

Luckily I was smart, I kept things I knew I'd regret selling... the FA 31, FA 43, and FA 77. I also couldn't give away my DA* 16-50 so I still have that as well. So now I'm looking for a body, probably to buy in May or June. budget right now will be around $1000 Canadian. Maybe a little more, but I don't want to break the bank. First instinct is to find myself a K3/ii on the used market. But as I've been away from the forums and the camera sites for almost a year now... what has changed? I see the KP is about to be released.... Maybe an ME Mirrorless??? How is the K70? KS1?

I don't NEED professional grade here... but I've been used to professional grade buffer/fps/features for a long time and I doubt I can go back too far in the options here... usually dual control dials and a deep buffer are preferred here. even then the buffer may not be as necessary as I rarely even hit with my D800 unless I'm shooting fashion runway.

OR... any screwdrive AF Adapters for the various mirrorless systems exists yet?
Sorry to hear your story and glad to hear you are getting back on your feet. With that budget I'd say buy a nice new Pentax K-70 and use the rest to take the wife and kids out for a great dinner!
01-25-2017, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done on weathering the financial situation and getting to the point where you can consider another Pentax body.

In your situation, I would look at a lightly-used K-3 or K-3II, or a new K-3II. IQ is great, but most importantly these are now long-term-proven cameras with very few flaws. They're rated with very long shutter lives, so buying a good used example without warranty is still a safe bet if you do your homework. High ISO performance is very good, though not *quite* as good as the newer K-70... but I'd pick the K-3 / K-3II in preference just because it's a pro-quality body and designed for longevity.

That said, the K-70 is 14% lighter (with battery and SD card fitted) and has an articulating screen, both of which may be beneficial considering your arthritis...

01-25-2017, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
How about a point and shoot like a Sony RX100?

I spent too much on gear in 2016 and really regret it now. Health was getting worse through the year and collapsed at Christmas. Diabetes and serious mental health problems (depression and anxiety in the extreme) resulting from that and extreme pressure at work. 20 plus year career down the pan and not sure where it all goes from here. Never enjoyed what I did anyway so it's probably a blessing.

Hang in there our kid. Count the pennys. Don't spend big dollars. Become super thrifty and pay down debt whilst the interest rates are low and you'll come through it.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but as you said, hopefully things will look up from now on!

I really like the idea that the OP is out there shooting his LX... it means he shouldn't be in a hurry to buy another body - and he can use the Limiteds in their intended focal length and "sensor"... lol
01-25-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but as you said, hopefully things will look up from now on!

I really like the idea that the OP is out there shooting his LX... it means he shouldn't be in a hurry to buy another body - and he can use the Limiteds in their intended focal length and "sensor"... lol
Thanks Christian. With courage and benzodiazepam we shall over come.

Probably the best thing is to get out shooting! Which I shall do.
01-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Used K-5IIs or K-3 it is then. I understand entirely having the 31/43/77 myself. Three lenses I will never part with.

How about selling other gear to pay for it so it's cost neutral?
No gear left that can be sold

---------- Post added 01-25-2017 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

yup, not in a huge hurry. Which is why I'm putting away money here and there for a June/July purchase. I want this body in hand, and maybe the Fisheye or DA15 by our road trip in July.
01-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

All the best mate. I go out for photographic therapy as often as possible.
01-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is always a contest between the secure feeling of having money in the bank, and the pleasure of spending it. For some the anxiety of a depleted bank account will kill the pleasure of a purchase. Others like to live on the edge. It comes down to what one can happily live with.
01-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your financial difficulties, I'd also like to second the suggestion of a K5IIs - I own K1s and I still use my K5IIs for every day photography. That camera is bomb proof, I should know, I reviewed a sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 with it.

I'd rather sell all my Canon glass[though I'd keep the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 I have] than sell any of the stuff I have for pentax, especially the FA limited lenses.
01-25-2017, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was lucky a while ago and picked up a used K-3 from McBain for $525. It had less than 17,000 clicks on it. Keep an eye on their used stuff - that's how I found mine.
01-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was lucky a while ago and picked up a used K-3 from McBain for $525. It had less than 17,000 clicks on it. Keep an eye on their used stuff - that's how I found mine.
I got insiders @ McBain who are keeping an eye open for me all the time