Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #16

Original Poster
Joeskj

The weather sealing is a real bonus for the K10. I shot last year waist deep in the ocean while my kids were boogie boarding and got hit by a wave. I simply rinsed the K10 off with fresh water dried the glass on my lens (I was using a Sigma 135-400) and went back to shooting with no worries or problems. My friend who had an N brand paniced when his got wet, I almost felt sorry for him.

Shawn

08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm into off road 4x4 motorsport, as a competitor and I also photograph the events when I'm not driving. As you can imagine dust, rain and mud is our pleasure!

And I'm certainly not precious with my camera's either, I'll stand in a river when a Landrover is heading my way and I know I'm in for a soaking, I do hide the K10 under my coat when the soaking arrives, but I've wiped plenty of mud off it in the past 18 months.
I have been known to slide the strap around the passenger seat back and rest the camera on the seat while I'm driving, and my 4x4 has no windows and very little protection.

Of all the people I see taking pictures at the events, pro's included, I seem to be the only one who's out there in the muck and bullets!
So a beach holds few terrors to a Pentax user.
08-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
That's great. I think a lot of people write off pentax without a second glance, once they get their hands on it, it's a whole different story.

Good story though, thanks for sharing.
once upon a time, I used olympus and nothing but olympus... I started on film cameras, om1 is still very special to me, then e1, e500, e510... and I had a chance to feel a bit of k10d when it first came to market. It felt all wrong to me, wrong zooming direction, wierd button placement, poor ergonomics (compared to e510), and it had quite few bugs to fix. It turned out to be pre-production model, so pentax fixed most of the issues before it really hit the market, but... it still felt wrong.

a year later, I had a chance to check out k10d with battery grip, fancy viewfinder magnifier and 50-135, plus some other lenses like 35 f/2,0 and 50 f/1,4... and it was - wow, this is it! week later I bought pretty much the same setup, plus couple of film stuff like pentax me and mx.

So I sold all of my oly stuff, and although pentax still feels wierd while zooming, still has 4x more complicated custom white balance, this is IT for me... I did own canon dSLR, I did try nikon, sony and canon again, but I'll stay with pentax for a long time, no question about it... 50-135 still makes me smile every time I look at shots made with it, and I still have that sweet grin on my face every time I'm taking snaps in rain, while everyone else is covering their cameras
actually, there is only one camera+lens combination I'd switch to, and that's E3+12-60 (I guess there's still plenty of oly-fan in me )

I read somewhere that pentax is like subaru... best there is, but for those who know it

well, no point in going on about it anymore, you know what I mean
08-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I read somewhere that pentax is like subaru... best there is, but for those who know it
I couldn't agree more.

08-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I couldn't agree more.
Me neither. Most people i know who have a C&N only have them 'because everybody has one'
08-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I photograph my daughter's horse shows (lots of dust and frequently rain) and also my son's ATV exploits (lots of flying mud). I see other parents with a sea of d40s and xtis. Many of them have had to replace their cameras due to damage from the elements. They always replace them with the SAME THING!

I try to politely, but with a smirk on my face, point out that I haven't had to replace my camera. It just keeps on working. Kind of like those old Timex commercials. LOL

Robin
08-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw the title of this thread, I envisioned a country preacher on the podium holding up an LX shouting, "Pen-Tax-Uh-Huh, Puh-Raise the Lord!"
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #23
Forum Member

I've been watching this thread "half hearted" since I have an ist DL, but I'm now wondering about the protection built into the cameras. I've used Pentax film equipment for a long time (ME, K1000, SF-10) and never really took any special precautions to protect them from the elements. Of course, I don't mean I submerged them or left them in the rain, or anything as drastic, but I was never concerned about light rain showers, dust, heat (it gets pretty hot and humid in New Orleans during the summer), cold, etc. Just a few precautions such as wiping down the camera from rain showers, and not changing lenses while the wind was blowing dust and dirt around, and I've not had any problems with any of my equipment <knocking on wood>.
So what was done on the later model cameras to add protection, and what model/models have such protection?
Thanks,
John

08-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jselph Quote
So what was done on the later model cameras to add protection, and what model/models have such protection?
Thanks,
John
The K10D, K20D, and K200D have weather sealing around the body (rubber seals everywhere two plastic pieces meet).

This helps protect the camera from water, dust, and dirt, but isn't a magic solution that perfectly protects the cameras from anything in the environment.

I have two K10D bodies and a *ist DL for work and my *ist DL has been put through just as much as my K10D bodies ... and survived.

Of course, I don't abuse my cameras either.
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

But when body SR does NOT work with Full Frame..

and a stabilised lens means the AF system will be stablised also (and just it will perform more reliably - faster and more accurately, just because the AF system sees less shakes!), he will know its values again!

Some days when Pentax goes Full Frame (hopefully), I guess they cannot offer SR anymore as they have no SR lenses, nor they could make a Full Frame SR-ed body, which is just impossible, unless they make it to be > 1X, say, 1.2X, for room left for the SR movement and correction but then if so, it is not Full Frame again (just because if they wish their body to have SR). Real dilemma?

Btw, I would be most interested to see if how Sony can overcome this technical difficulty which seems impossible in their coming Full Frame DSLR (A900 or whatever it will be called).
08-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't pretend to be amnesic, RH. Full-frame SR is very possible. It's been proven with logical arguments time and again; even here on the forums.
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #27

Original Poster
Hi rzarbo,

I've shot a number of horse shows in the Mystic/Ledyard area of CT where I live and the dust and junk that it's in the air at those events is amazing. It is funny to watch people duck to cover their camera when a horse rides by leaving a wake of dust by the fence, they miss the shots that I can get.

Love the Timex reference, makes you wonder Timex - Pentax, kinda rhymes.

Shawn
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jselph Quote
. . . So what was done on the later model cameras to add protection, and what model/models have such protection?
Thanks,
John
In addition to those already mentioned, the venerable LX film camera was also sealed with gaskets etc.

I haven't had problems with my k1000 shooting in misty situations. I just have used common sense.
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
This helps protect the camera from water, dust, and dirt, but isn't a magic solution that perfectly protects the cameras from anything in the environment.
So Pentax added weathersealing, en They saw it was good
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Shawn,

I'm not too far from you in the Haddam/Middletown area! And I, too, get a giggle watching people NOT shooting to protect their cameras. LOL There is some pro guy out of NY that comes to alot of the shows with a Winnebago outfitted with a couple of computers and printers and sells photo packages to the show people. He shoots Canon but has remarked on several occasions that if only Pentax and Nikon would united they would take over the photography world. LOL

Robin