Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #1

Pentax Evangelisim

My family and I just spent a wonderful week on the Jersey shore. I had my K10 with the Pentax 50-135 on it all week, I did bring the rest of my lenses but they all stayed in the bag. While walking up from the water a guy asked me what I was using, so of course I proudly proclaimed I was using a Pentax K10 with the 50-135 and pointed out that the weather sealing on both the body and the lens allowed me to use it without any worries on the beach. The gentleman looked at me and nodded at his bag saying he had a N brand D80 in it that he was afraid to take out on the beach. We spoke for a while about the differences in the image stabilization between Pentax and the N brand, he was complaining about the added cost for the image stabilized N brand lenses, and cringed when I told him even my manual lenses worked just fine on the K10. I offered to let him try it out and he took a number of shots with it and looked at me and said, well I guess I know what camera I'm going to have next year.

This was the first time that I've had someone convince themselves to switch brands by just letting them hold the camera. I guess the combination of the being on the beach and not being able to use his N brand D80 while I was out shooting my heart out was more than enough to change his mind.

08-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

That's great. I think a lot of people write off pentax without a second glance, once they get their hands on it, it's a whole different story.

Good story though, thanks for sharing.
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
That's great. I think a lot of people write off pentax without a second glance
Yep, the biggest problem is that they usually already have their minds "sold" on either Nikon or Canon.

I had one friend that "tried" the Pentax (K100 Super at the time) but ended up going Canon 400D "because the dial felt wierd on the other side on the Pentax".

I think the real reason was that she already "decided" that Canon was the path she wanted to go down.

I find that people that don't really know much about any brand in the DSLR world will go down the Pentax path if you tell them about it. I've extolled the virtues of Pentax upon about 4 friends who were looking to get into a DSLR. All bar this one person ended up buying a Pentax, even after I told them to pick up all the brands and try them out.

I think the cheap cost of the entry level Pentax is a winner for new comers to DSLR especially when considering the features it has over the competitions entry level cameras
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

When my kids were growing up, the only hamburger place they know are McDonald and BurgerKing. Of course they are mature now and knows the difference, they won't even go near those places, the lesson here is BIG ADVERTISING. So many people who are jumping from P&S to DSLR are gullible and doesn't even know what is aperture, shutter, DOF, ISO and so on. I tend to believed Pentax users are more educated about their choice of equipment. Thanks for sharing the story.

Cheers,

Rene

08-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Its a sad case when ppl follow the donkey and only consider C or N without looking into the brilliant Pentax range

cheers
08-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you tell them they went out of business next year 30 yrs ago? People need to know that.
08-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Did you tell them they went out of business next year 30 yrs ago? People need to know that.
Sorry, I am not following what you mean by this sentence. Who is going out of business next year?
08-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have acquaintances with Cs and Ns who really envy my K100D's cheap but very high-quality lenses and built-in image stabilization.

Why they bought a 350/400D is WAY beyond my powers of comprehension...

08-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Sorry, I am not following what you mean by this sentence. Who is going out of business next year?
"Your biggest worry is going to be if Pentax is still around next year i heard they are going belly up" "I know, they had the same worries 30 yrs ago"
I think i heard it with 20 or 25, but used 30 for extra humor, oh wait, you didn't get i was joking? Awe man!
08-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
but that would be one year before the LX!?
08-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great post Mshawn63

I was a Nikon user with film

Only had point and shoot digital until I decided to again look into SLR's

After lengthy study and reading reviews on cameras and lenses my mind was easily made up that Pentax was for me... (though in the end camera wise I brought a rebadged Sammy)

I now have 2 friends that are both long time DSLR users of other brands that are wondering why they did not do the same as me.

Plus we have the benifit of this wonderful forum
08-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
Nulla,

I didn't have the chance to do extensive study about other brands. When I was a kid my dad was a professional photographer and he tried all the brands that were available in the 60's and ended up with Pentax for 35mm and Mamyia for his medium format (C333). I have only used Pentax even though I've looked at the other brands, once you put your hands on them the quality difference between Pentax and C, N are immidiate. Only once did I consider making a change to C but that was right before the K10 came out and I emailed Pentax asking what was up, they told me to wait and I'd be surprised, and I am soooo glad I waited.

Now I'm brainwashing my youngest son, he's using my *istD with the Tamron 28-200 and having a great time with it. My best friend is a dedicated N user, and no matter what I do he wont' change, he's even said my camera takes better pictures than his N. I guess it's a matter of what you set your heart on.
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
So many people who are jumping from P&S to DSLR are gullible and doesn't even know what is aperture, shutter, DOF, ISO and so on.

Multiple the "so many people" by 4 and you'll get the right amount.

Last festival I was photographing, this semi-pro was using a Nikon and once he saw my camera he knew how to appreciate it. He knew Pentax brand and knew the rep for quality lenses (though he didnt know about the K10D details etc).

On the other hand, three amateur photographers here in CT all have Canon XT(i)s and not only I had to hear about how the XT is better than a K10D ( ) but I have to keep on explaining how I get some night shots by using my f/1.4 or f/2 lenses... not to mention that I already tried to explain the basics of photography....

It is just frustrating that my own mom paid more for a XTi than I paid for my K10D. Actually, i dont mind too much... that way she can't even ask to use my lenses!
08-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #14

Weather Seal

I had heard enough stories from my friends who took pictures in India, their camera's quit working due to dust. Mainly from C company, both P+S and DSLR. One of my friends took a XTi to the beach and the dust screwed his camera.

It was a big factor for me to get the K200D.
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Inactive Account

but I have to keep on explaining how I get some night shots by using my f/1.4 or f/2 lenses... not to mention that I already tried to explain the basics of photogrK10D.

Funny but most of them don't even know what an IS or VR lens for their cameras, and us Pentax users can get away with night shots w/o tripods and get them too w/ almost any Pentax mount.

Cheers,

Rene