Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Some of the disappointment lies in a misunderstanding of what focus peaking really means. It does not necessarily mean "these pixels are in focus". Instead, it means there's a very high pixel-to-pixel gradient in intensity. Such gradients are often found only in focused parts of images but they can also be found in slightly-defocused parts of extremely high contrast elements (e.g., edges of backlit elements, black-on-white objects).
Yep...this is easy enough to observe in actual use.

Steve

02-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I use focus peaking on my K-3 for product photography all day long at work. I love it and wouldn't go without it. With the camera on a tripod, I use either the Sigma 17-50/2.8 or DA*50-135/2.8 with distance ranging between one foot (with the Sigma) to maybe seven feet (DA*50-135). I'm almost always using flash, so 1/180, ISO 100, aperture ranging from F/8 to F16 depending on the circumstances. When using focus peaking, I open the aperture to 2.8 and raise the ISO to 3200 or so to brighten the Live View image first, then magnify the image, move the magnified point to an appropriate detail, manually focus while observing the shimmering field of focus pass over my focus area and focus in and out to move it back and forth to get it where I want it, then dial the aperture and ISO back to where I need them and press the button on the remote shutter release. The only drawback I can see is that I have to dial the ISO up and open the aperture to get bright details unless I'm using a modeling light in the photo booth.

It works so brilliantly for me that I am very curious to hear the circumstances in which it is not working for other people.
02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will add that focus peaking on my K3 is a joy to use. On my K50 I usually do no bother. The K3 just is way much easier. Focus peaking is actually better on my K-01 than on my K50. I have to say that it probably the most disappointing feature on my K50.
02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I use focus peaking on my K-3...It works so brilliantly for me that I am very curious to hear the circumstances in which it is not working for other people.
Have you used it on the K-30/K-50?

02-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Have you used it on the K-30/K-50?
I sold my K-50 last year, so I can't really do a comparison now, but I used focus peaking on it. It was my main tripod camera for photographing lenses I sold here and on Ebay. I don't recall having any complaints about it. If I had any misgivings about it, I wouldn't have sold it to my little sister. Ultimately, it was the flash controls of the K-3 that relegated the K-50 to being a manual-lens monochrome-only camera. Now that I have my darkroom set up, my KX and K2 do that, so it was time to sell.
02-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
It works so brilliantly for me that I am very curious to hear the circumstances in which it is not working for other people.
I'm posing myself the same question. Even though a seldom lv user, I've been using it on K-30, k-500, k-x and the success rate for me is 95-100%, compared to optical viewfinder where it is between 80-90% for lenses shorter than 135mm and 60-80 for the long lenses. I don't do AF and burst.

I've noticed that the modern lenses with their steep-pitch helicoids and short focus throw are more difficult for manual focusing, be it lv or viewfinder. Manual focusing is best done with the lenses designed for it, lv does not change that, on the other hand, tripods do. Using live view is like using a split prism. It requires concentration, time and proficiency in apnea. And it is useless for action shots.

Regards,

Marko
02-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave up on focus peaking on my K-30 and installed a Katzeye spit prism focus screen.

02-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I gave up on focus peaking on my K-30 and installed a Katzeye spit prism focus screen.
RIP Katzeye...

Steve
02-06-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
RIP Katzeye...

Indeed !!!

I have a KatzEye screen in each of my two K-3 bodies (from the "final" KatzEye production run), and in my K20D (which I probably should sell now. since I don't use it anymore, since I've gotten the second K-3), and in my trusty ol' *ist DS (which I do still use). The KatzEye screens have been just great for MF with all of these.

As for focus peaking, for me it works well for critical focusing under many conditions in its K-3 implementation -- it's not usable under all conditions (and allowing for changing the color would definitely help under some circumstances).
02-07-2017, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #55
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two White Sulphur CrestedCockatoos flew over half lost in the heavy fog.(B&W edit) This was with a 105mm on my K01 and the Focus peaking clearly indicated they were in focus. White against white - I don't think you can ask for more than that. Focus peaking rocks!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/43-travel-events-groups/3432...p4351shdbb.jpg
02-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Two White Sulphur CrestedCockatoos flew over half lost in the heavy fog.(B&W edit) This was with a 105mm on my K01 and the Focus peaking clearly indicated they were in focus. White against white - I don't think you can ask for more than that. Focus peaking rocks!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/43-travel-events-groups/3432...p4351shdbb.jpg
That is a fantastic shot GUB!
02-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #57

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
RIP Katzeye...

Steve
This is the reason I went with the Fotodiox screen I'd mentioned earlier. The down side is that the little tab is placed differently on the K-30 and up, so a mod is required to use it. It's not as nice as the Katzeye selection was, but it works.
02-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #58
Forum Member

I've had a great experience with it on my K-1, but I'm sure the screen resolution has something to do with it.
02-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
This is the reason I went with the Fotodiox screen I'd mentioned earlier. The down side is that the little tab is placed differently on the K-30 and up, so a mod is required to use it. It's not as nice as the Katzeye selection was, but it works.
The screen linked in your earlier post should fit all current and recent-model Pentax APS-C dSLRs as well as those listed, assuming the listing is correct. However, the screen shown in the listing appears to be for earlier cameras (e.g. K10D and others) that shipped with the MF-80. Either that or it was photographed upside-down. Based on user reviews, it appears it was made to fit first and second generation cameras (*ist-series, KnnD, and KnnnD) and not the cameras listed.

That being said, I am glad yours is working well for you. Shame on Fotodiox for the inaccurate Amazon listing, however.

Steve
02-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote

Yikes! You use live view for birds in flight? You rock!

Steve