Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
Goodbye Pentax
Think of it as more of an "au revoir" rather than good bye.

Many of us here, use multiple systems in order to get the job done... it's all about the right tool for the job.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-05-2017 at 04:25 AM.
02-05-2017, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best wishes, Ed - great pictures on your website. If they were taken with the K-3/77, I'd keep it!
02-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Professional work flow Fitting its equipment within a professional workflow environment is a real Achilles heel for Pentax, and one that appears difficult to overcome since it depends upon other factors than camera-related quality and feature availability. There is also the "clean stable" issue--all Canon shop, all Nikon shop. Hobby photographers have the luxury to prioritize image quality and can opt for cameras, lenses, and accessories that are IQ optimal. Professionals, however, have to be concerned about workflow, equipment consistency across multiple professional users in a particular studio or other environment, and image quality may often become a less important variable.As a retired marketing professor, it is entertaining to speculate upon the future strategic direction of Ricoh in this regard. Sony is an example of a company that stressed quality in its product development, and then systemitized its product range to fit within production environments, so going that route certainly is a possibility. One possibility would be for Pentax to identify certain limited professional environments where its equipment range (cropped sensor, FF, and medium format) and quality features, image quality, and other characteristics are relatively more important, and then begin tailoring its equipment for that environment.
I'm not sure if in digital, the workflow you mention is that important if you own the workflow (which is the case if you produce directly usable images). I went through press accreditation (i.e fit criteria) for the production of photos for newspapers , magazines and TV channels (who also run websites). They only look at the JPEG image results that are produced, you show them a set of post processed JPEG and they take a selection of them , they couldn't care less about how it's done. If they outsource the photography job, they buy finished images ready to use, would be strange if they purchase the photos and still had to do the work (tethering, post processing etc). You have guys who are 100% pro working with 10 years old Canon/Nikon gear, so worn out that the paint is gone off the lens, they have no Wifi not all of this recent stuff , and they are given photography work for every possible event happening in the region. I think, if you are in New York, you may be more peaky and change gear when you encounter the least tiny issue. Anyway, New York area has is one of the highest world income, so you may not care much about the price of cameras and swapping brands.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2017 at 06:53 AM.
02-05-2017, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not sure if in digital, the workflow you mention is that important if you own the workflow (which is the case if you produce directly usable images). I went through press accreditation (i.e fit criteria) for the production of photos for newspapers , magazines and TV channels (who also run websites). They only look at the JPEG image results that are produced, you show them a set of post processed JPEG and they take a selection of them , they couldn't care less about how it's done. If they outsource the photography job, they buy finished images ready to use, would be strange if they purchase the photos and still had to do the work (tethering, post processing etc). You have guys who are 100% pro working with 10 years old Canon/Nikon gear, so worn out that the paint is gone off the lens, they have no Wifi not all of this recent stuff , and they are given photography work for every possible event happening in the region. I think, if you are in New York, you may be more peaky and change gear when you encounter the least tiny issue. Anyway, New York area has is one of the highest world income, so you may not care much about the price of cameras and swapping brands.
I guess there are as many possibilities as there are actual situations. People just share the gear and well just not even. They all take photos, but do very different stuff in the end.

02-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I guess there are as many possibilities as there are actual situations. People just share the gear and well just not even. They all take photos, but do very different stuff in the end.
If I understood your note; fair enough. Purchase decisions are all about desire , completely irrational. The irrational decisions are often backup with rational arguments.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.
02-05-2017, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understood your note; fair enough. It's just that some things may look very important to some , much less important to others, and even less important for an outsider because everything happens in the mind. Honestly, I wonder how many who switched from Pentax to Canon or Nikon changed their lives. I do know people who switch for A or B reason whatever) , they got a Canon and stopped photography within less than a year. When you get better results with money, chances are that this spoil your self improvement. When you get into more automation, chances are also that your art will not be the same, that's also a risk. Got AF issues, don't try to improve how you take photos, get a D500 and you'll keep your old way of shooting, you'll have spent money and learned nothing.

You miss the point the clients want shooting tethered to capture 1
Moving brands shouldn't affect your vision or ability to. Implement it, but it may give access to a tool you need to meet client demands. I noticed you mentioned journalism, I agree no need for it in this case, but what he is doing is a different thing . For me Pentax is really strong in meeting the needs of landscape shooters , good for general pj, not so hot for sports or birding or studio work. It is what it is
I doubt a brand changes your life but having support for something that has become the industry standard in your area is important. Maybe Ricoh will pursue it but I doubt it (hey really need capture one support and phase one is t likely to provide it to a direct competitor
02-05-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

If I understood your note; fair enough. Purchase decisions are all about desire , completely irrational. The irrational decisions are often backup with rational arguments.
Wanting to stick with your brand when you client or boss want you to use something else is being irrationnal. The gear is anyway the least important aspect of the job.

02-05-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wanting to stick with your brand when you client or boss want you to use something else is being irrationnal. The gear is anyway the least important aspect of the job.

Exactly, if you are shooting as part of a team for an event you will be required to use the same gear as others so the digital workflow is consistent
Personally I would rather shoot Nikon than canon but if clients are asking for canon it's what I would shoot
02-05-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #39

Looks like somebody has got capture one working with K1 tethering

Nice to see a pro shooting Pentax, sad to see you feeling you have to leave.

Although direct Capture One support isn't officially supported it looks like there is a workaround:

Tethering K-1 in to Capture One - PentaxForums.com

I don't use Capture One but Lightroom and love tethered shooting. My solution to date has been to use an Eye-fi X2 pro to stream the shots in Jpeg to an ipad. I do find it very flakey however and the ipad seems to keep dropping the connection especially when the K1 hibernates the Eye-fi card in-between shots. I haven't found a solution to this and got fed up with it so on my last shoot didn't tether at all.

If anyone knows the best way of stopping the K1 hibernating the Flucard that would be great.

Hope the link is helpful,

Jonlg
Jonathan Gorse Photography
02-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The very importance sentence is the first one: "I knew this day was coming but I didn't think it would be this soon.". Basically, this gentleman had a latent desire to change brand. The tethering not working well was the argument to support the decision. If for example you are enthusiastic about your gear, you'll look for the reason why it does not work well and you'll find a workaround. Desires precede decisions, every highly ranked sales and marketing professional will confirm.

---------- Post added 05-02-17 at 20:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
Looks like somebody has got capture one working with K1 tethering Nice to see a pro shooting Pentax, sad to see you feeling you have to leave. Although direct Capture One support isn't officially supported it looks like there is a workaround: Tethering K-1 in to Capture One - PentaxForums.com I don't use Capture One but Lightroom and love tethered shooting. My solution to date has been to use an Eye-fi X2 pro to stream the shots in Jpeg to an ipad. I do find it very flakey however and the ipad seems to keep dropping the connection especially when the K1 hibernates the Eye-fi card in-between shots. I haven't found a solution to this and got fed up with it so on my last shoot didn't tether at all. If anyone knows the best way of stopping the K1 hibernating the Flucard that would be great. Hope the link is helpful, Jonlg Jonathan Gorse Photography
Excellent, thanks for the link.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
02-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The very importance sentence is the first one: "I knew this day was coming but I didn't think it would be this soon.". Basically, this gentleman had a latent desire to change brand. The tethering not working well was the argument to support the decision. If for example you are enthusiastic about your gear, you'll look for the reason why it does not work well and you'll find a workaround. Desires precede decisions, every highly ranked sales and marketing professional will confirm.
You might have read into that first sentence a little too much. If I had the desire to change brand, I would have done it already. For the 8 years I've been shooting, I've gone from the K100D, K7, K5, K3, to the K1. I've used a Canon once... I'm actually dreading the idea of having to learn how to use a different camera considering that I know my Pentax like the back of my hand... But business needs actually precede desires in my world.

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
Nice to see a pro shooting Pentax, sad to see you feeling you have to leave.

Although direct Capture One support isn't officially supported it looks like there is a workaround:

Tethering K-1 in to Capture One - PentaxForums.com
Thanks mate! I'm going to test that workaround out to see how efficient it is.

Last edited by EdMaximus; 02-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.
02-06-2017, 01:35 PM - 3 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

A way to see it. Personnally I think that's the contrary: he brought Pentax dispite known issues because he really wanted to use it professionnally. But when he saw that this might hurt him to much professionnally he decided to switch, taking care to no trash the brand. He posted here, maybe because he is sad to not be able to use the gear he choosed anymore, but also as a legitimate, informative warning that actualy valid for all brand: be sure your tool can actually do the things you intend to use it for.

I mean if you needed max dynamic range for you work, if that was to be critcial you'd avoid Canon... And if you need to tether with Capture One, you avoid Pentax.

From your enthousiast point of view the brand is the most important and so people should sacrifice themselve for it, irrelevant as it may be, just because they own some piece of gear of that brand.

For a profesionnal, this is honestly to me a fault. If I was the guy boss and he made the company pay for gear that wasn't as good as the competition for the work at hand, I would ask him to change gear fast and his choice would have weakened my trust in him to choose the right gear , in particular choosing the underdog over the known leader. Business is about efficiancy, consistancy, quality and making money. If you make an irregular choice, like shooting Pentax, this should not be just equivalent to the choosing Canon or Nikon, because the risk is higher. If you make such a choice, there should be something that give you an edge over the competition. That might be pixelshift or maybe SR or whatever other feature. But if the killer feature doesn't apply to your practice, there no point.

Working as a pro isn't the same as being an enthousiast. The second one doesn't have to meet with any level of quality, expectation or whatever.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
02-06-2017, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Working as a pro isn't the same as being an enthousiast. The second one doesn't have to meet with any level of quality, expectation or whatever.
yeah, fair enough. Short, the more pro I shot with , the less I believe PF threads. Go with as many pro as you can find, see for yourself. You still have a lot of pros using the D700 or the 5DII. We should not take a particular case of high expectation to make it a general case of Pentax deficiency.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-06-2017 at 03:25 PM.
02-06-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #44
Inactive Account

This is the exact reason my boss (Pro) sold us two of his brand new K-1's with less than 100 clicks each. We all love the K-1 , but tethering is his chief complaint . Or should I say the lack of tethering.
Doesn't bother me much , but for someone whose entire income is through photography , I would probably have done the same.
02-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Can this issue be sorted out by firmware update?