Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't life just one giant firmware update?

And hard to say.

02-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
yeah, fair enough. Short, the more pro I shot with , the less I believe PF threads. Go with as many pro as you can find, see for yourself. You still have a lot of pros using the D700 or the 5DII. We should not take a particular case of high expectation to make it a general case of Pentax deficiency.
Interestingly enough, I actually decided to first replace my K3 with a used 5DII before I let go of the K1. When it comes to the issue at hand, the K1 is still deficient comparing to a 9 year old camera. Last thing I want to do is bash Pentax... But it doesn't help them when its enthusiast user base feels like others don't have a case when they bring up something that the brand is not doing a good job at.
____

Going back to the Hot Folder workaround provided by someone in the thread, I tested it with my friend who is a digitech. Using the combination of lightroom and C1 via hot folder is not good enough. We are still facing the same stability issue with LR freezing and tethering stopping after changing lenses. The transfer speed is also too slow for even Jpeg. As for using Image Transmitter, it would be unwise to waste $200 on it while I could buy C1 for that same price. Every digitech I work with would need to have it also.

The plan for now is to buy a damn 5DII and learn how to use it. It should be enough to shoot lookbook for clients that requires tethering and I can rent something better when needed. After a few months, I'll reassess my situation to see if I need to do the full switch.

I'm assuming Ricoh will put out a K1II in about a year. The best thing they could do is use USB3 for a faster transfer rate. I know the situation with C1 not supporting Pentax is out of their hand. But I hope they at least work on ironing out the issues with LR and the shortcoming of Image Transmitter... Adobe needs to also do the same since tethering with LR is not that great in general.
02-06-2017, 11:06 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
Last thing I want to do is bash Pentax... But it doesn't help them when its enthusiast user base feels like others don't have a case when they bring up something that the brand is not doing a good job at.
There are several things that Pentax isn't good at, just as there are several things it is good at. My opinion, that is all objective fact and very provable. As a professional, you need the right tool for the job you are being asked to do. Image quality, workflow, lighting control, tethering, speed of feedback, commonality of team equipment A, B, C cameras, images, look, the list goes on.

Enthusiast photographer's who have none of those constraints offering criticism to professionals who do have those constraints on a daily basis are only displaying a lack of knowledge and understanding.

A small example from my own business is the laptops we use. If we lose a day's productivity for one staff member due to a laptop glitch or failure, the lost income for the day would pay for a new laptop. So, we upgrade very regularly, we buy good quality gear, and we have fully enabled spares on hand so at worst case situation we lose 30-60 minutes productivity. People using home computers or laptops look in and comment about this. Why do we spend so much, so often and in their eyes 'waste' money. The difference is they don't have to meet clients expectations for that day, and nor to they lose over $1,000 billings for the day if their laptop isn't working. Just different worlds, and different economics. Same with professional verses enthusiast photographers.

I'm assuming Ricoh will put out a K1II in about a year. The best thing they could do is use USB3 for a faster transfer rate. I know the situation with C1 not supporting Pentax is out of their hand. But I hope they at least work on ironing out the issues with LR and the shortcoming of Image Transmitter... Adobe needs to also do the same since tethering with LR is not that great in general.
All of this would be nice, but I wouldn't be too hopeful especially around the tethering to LR. It has been an issue for a long time, and they haven't shown any great initiative in solving it.

This might be because Pentax offerings are more geared to outdoor and landscape photography, where tethering is less of a demand from professionals and enthusiasts.

All the best with your business, and getting familiar with a new tool set - something which enthusiasts again won't recognise - no one is paying you to do, it is just expected in your own time, therefore not a choice you are making lightly.

Cheers

Ross
02-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't we just use a 10" tablet linked to the K1 via the wireless app as the tethered device?

Just throwing up an idea, I don't use the wifi on my K1 actually.

02-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
A small example from my own business is the laptops we use. If we lose a day's productivity for one staff member due to a laptop glitch or failure, the lost income for the day would pay for a new laptop. So, we upgrade very regularly, we buy good quality gear, and we have fully enabled spares on hand so at worst case situation we lose 30-60 minutes productivity. People using home computers or laptops look in and comment about this. Why do we spend so much, so often and in their eyes 'waste' money. The difference is they don't have to meet clients expectations for that day, and nor to they lose over $1,000 billings for the day if their laptop isn't working. Just different worlds, and different economics. Same with professional verses enthusiast photographers.
A similar story from a colleague of mine. He comes from an engineering job on an oil platform in the North Sea. Long story short - a support geek in India(!) managed to crash his PC while fixing a minor problem. His employer sent a new one with a helicopter the same day. Pretty expencive, but the alternative would probably cost more.
02-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #51
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
His employer sent a new one with a helicopter the same day. Pretty expencive, but the alternative would probably cost more.
That is definitely an expensive laptop
02-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Can't we just use a 10" tablet linked to the K1 via the wireless app as the tethered device?

Just throwing up an idea, I don't use the wifi on my K1 actually.
Very Slow and loose lots of features such as bracketing.
For myself just an external monitor is all thats really needed, along with Wi-Fi .
Using the Flu-Card system (other Models) just doesn't cut it , but is better than nothing.
I didn't realize Nikon and Canon were light years ahead in this department.

02-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Last thing I want to do is bash Pentax... But it doesn't help them when its enthusiast user base feels like others don't have a case when they bring up something that the brand is not doing a good job at.
I think this comment might not be very fair... if you look back at this thread, almost everyone's actually been supportive of your decision to switch brands, given that Pentax doesn't provide one thing that you specifically need.

Obviously most people here think you do have a case.
02-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Pentax execs were really careful to emphasize this was a "field camera."
02-09-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are right. My comment was mainly addressing the person that I quoted.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think this comment might not be very fair... if you look back at this thread, almost everyone's actually been supportive of your decision to switch brands, given that Pentax doesn't provide one thing that you specifically need.

Obviously most people here think you do have a case.
02-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #56

Ed sorry to see that leaving Pentax is a likely option. I love being connected to a camera that is amazing and unique, not the status quo. I usually get double takes from people in my age bracket that discover Pentax still makes cameras ( younger folks of course say, "what is a Pentax").As unique as our brand I really have to say I really love your unique style of photography. As I read the other post and they mentioned your website I have to say I really enjoyed your body of work. I am just venturing into the business of photography and my needs are no where near yours, but I hope Pentax finds a way to cater to all of us because they really make a great product.
02-09-2017, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, mate. I'm in the younger folks bracket. So most people I interact with in regard to photography didn't know that Pentax make DSLR until they saw me with one. I ended up convincing quite a few of them to give Pentax a shot... I must admit the novelty of being one of the few guys in my field creating with Pentax did feel nice at times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
Ed sorry to see that leaving Pentax is a likely option. I love being connected to a camera that is amazing and unique, not the status quo. I usually get double takes from people in my age bracket that discover Pentax still makes cameras ( younger folks of course say, "what is a Pentax").As unique as our brand I really have to say I really love your unique style of photography. As I read the other post and they mentioned your website I have to say I really enjoyed your body of work. I am just venturing into the business of photography and my needs are no where near yours, but I hope Pentax finds a way to cater to all of us because they really make a great product.
02-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I didn't realize Nikon and Canon were light years ahead in this department.
That is a sore point to many of us old-timers on this site. My K10D shipped with Pentax Remote Assistant v3.5 software. That program provided fairly comprehensive remote tethering and file transfer via USB for both Windows and Mac starting in 2004 with the *istD. Out-of-the-box tethering support with bundled software ended with the K-20D in 2009.

Steve
02-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
yeah, fair enough. Short, the more pro I shot with , the less I believe PF threads. Go with as many pro as you can find, see for yourself. You still have a lot of pros using the D700 or the 5DII. We should not take a particular case of high expectation to make it a general case of Pentax deficiency.
I don't think Pentax is especially deficient. Tethering is a specific requirement that I couldn't care less. But for a few people that's their bread and butter. They just need the right tool for the job.
02-10-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

All of this would be nice, but I wouldn't be too hopeful especially around the tethering to LR. It has been an issue for a long time, and they haven't shown any great initiative in solving it.

This might be because Pentax offerings are more geared to outdoor and landscape photography, where tethering is less of a demand from professionals and enthusiasts.

All the best with your business, and getting familiar with a new tool set - something which enthusiasts again won't recognise - no one is paying you to do, it is just expected in your own time, therefore not a choice you are making lightly.

Cheers

Ross
My K10 came with tethering software and worked right out of the box, it's only after the K20 when Hoya was in cost cutting mode to break up the company that it went .